5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Issue on putting up a road sign

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:58 PM
SB
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue on putting up a road sign

I'm curious if any of the people running the show this year can or have checked the legality of putting a small, maybe 3'X3', sign along the roadside? The reason I ask is because on every Friday morning during the past events I have gone to the dam to take in the nice morning air and sounds. This past event I skipped the parade and sat on the dam watching the parade line up. I couldn't count the cars that came to the top of the dam looking for the parade that I had to give directions to the base of the dam.

It would be nice if signs were put up in front of Fontana Village, the entrance to the base of the dam and especially the intersection of Hwy 28 where you split off to go to the top of the dam. Most new shows coming this route from Robbinsonville saw the Fontana dam sign and came to the top of the dam. Thus either being very late for or not making the parade. They weren't aware that you couldn't get to the base of the dam this way.

Just thought I would mention this so this years new shows will not miss the parade. It's a big event for first year Dragon slayers. I'll be up there again Friday just incase someone sneaks by the signs.

sincerely,

The Official Dam Guide of MOTD4.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
I'm sure that we could work with Fontana to do this. I'll add it to my list of things to address with them. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mark

Old 01-10-2007, 04:34 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a great idea SB, last year was my first year and it was a little confusing. One sign as you exit Fontana and the one at the lower dam road itself would be great

Old 01-10-2007, 07:17 AM
HumbleHarper
1st Gear
That is a wonderful idea. I was a newbie last year, and luckily followed someone who got it right. The parade was awesome, would have hated to have missed it.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:19 PM
TReed
2nd Gear
I missed it last year for this very reason...great idea to me!

Old 01-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
funny we couldn't find the top.... LOL

Old 01-10-2007, 02:11 PM
SB
6th Gear
Hang a right leaving Fontana Village. Just up from FV are some very nice and close curves to enjoy on the way to the dam. Close enough that at night headlights are almost useless as they are never pointing where you are going. Continue straight at the intersection I mentioned above and the road will lead you to the top of the dam.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:29 PM
GoodFinder
4th Gear
Thanks on the "heads up" to this (especially for us "newbies" doing our first MOTD).

Old 01-10-2007, 06:47 PM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Good idea!! I think we went the wrong way a few times when trying to find the base of the Dam . Both times (pano-pic and scenic drive) we ended up at the top and drove around to get to the bottom. such fun

Old 01-11-2007, 01:11 PM
SB
6th Gear
I made up a quick Google Earth map of the area. It looks as if GE has updated the image this year to better resolution. If you don't have Google Earth you can download it for free here. After installing GE, click this link and choose to open with GE. (edit: I just checked with the latest version of GE. You'll need to download the file instead of run then run it from the folder where you saved it.) It will open GE and carry you to an overview of the area with locations such as lodging, dining, route markers, places of interest plus the beginning and ending locations of the parade.

You can also use it to view a route. Expand the folder for your chosen start such as lodging. Then right click on the lodge and choose "directions from this". Then do the same for the end of the route. This time right click the location and choose "directions to this". Or you could simply do all of this by right clicking the marker on the map and choosing the appropriate option. This will carry you to an overview of the route or if you want to fly the route select the play button in the new menu that pops up.

Thanks to snooters Dragon website for some of the lodging and dining areas I was not aware of in the area. All on his site are not listed in GE as I have no clue where some are and didn't want to get anyone lost.