5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

"Busted" by Killboy

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
People should take nice lines like this person did:

Old 05-11-2007, 10:42 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ hmmmm. . . looks a lot like your sig

Old 05-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, Greatbear, those are some fine lines, but the problem is that I know that you were driving in reverse in those photos and were completely across the line in every single one of them!

Old 05-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Greatbear
Aw man, busted again!

Old 05-11-2007, 10:51 AM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
I lost count of the number of MINI's crossing the Yellow line on http://www.zeefoto.com/

Old 05-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
I got a full video on the way back to deals gap from the midnight run of a Mini called st bernard that was all over the place. On every right hander he pulled so far out into the next lane to get a better line that i could have (and almost did) pass him on the inside. Then on the left handers he went so far to the next lane that I could have passed him on the outside!

With the way we were lighting up the night there is no way that you could have seen the lights of a car coming up in the opposing lane. He nearly hit killboy head on...

Old 05-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Yucca Patrol
I did find some killboy photos of the red MCS cabrio I caught completely in the wrong lane. Killboy's photos show serious line crossing too, so my photo does not depict an isolated incident.

Still no PM in my box from the offending driver of that red MCS cabrio with big mudflaps and euro front plate. I sure would like to sell that photo to the driver so I can buy some nice killboy pics of myself coloring within the lines. . . .

Old 05-11-2007, 12:12 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The amazing thing is that some of us follow the lunatics who are all over the road for the "perfect" line - and we stay in our lane - and we keep up - and we don't have twincharged cars or nothin. Hell, I haven't even had DE. I'll admit my tire touched the yellow a few times. But being outta control - or acting like you own the road - is just stupid. And not necessary to drive fast, as those in my group on Saturday night can attest.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol

Still no PM in my box from the offending driver of that red MCS cabrio with big mudflaps and euro front plate. I sure would like to sell that photo to the driver so I can buy some nice killboy pics of myself coloring within the lines. . . .
Good idea! Does the offender in front of me want to buy my video?

I also know exactly which mini you are talking about. Those kinda mudflaps go on semi's.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Yucca Patrol
You are right, Blimey. Driving this road fast is a matter of staying smooth and consistent and is really not a matter of horsepower.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:39 PM
justintime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Yes, Greatbear, those are some fine lines, but the problem is that I know that you were driving in reverse in those photos and were completely across the line in every single one of them!
AND the brakelights are clearly out

Old 05-11-2007, 04:02 PM
awisemini
1st Gear
I'll admit to a major "Oh S..." on my first Dragon run. Just got a little too fast and the curve was a little more of a curve than I expected. Slowed me way down after that! Now my goal is to get smooth on the Dragon..once that is done in both directions consistantly, then I may work on speed. Luckly I am close enough that I don't have to wait all year to get in some practice runs.

Oh, but I am not the red cabrio mentioned above!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
I just got Junes Motorcyclist mag, and it has an extensive portfolio of Killboys pics of errant cyclists. Usually trying to turn 800 pound touring machines into crotch rockets and then levering their tires off the pavement when their "too wide" crash bars touched down.

Luckily most were at slower speeds.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:25 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
This was my first Dragon. I had read so many threads with all you wise people warning about not driving beyond your ability and not crossing the yellow line. I took that seriously and everyone should. MOTD was a great experience and I'll be back. But the one disappointment was the number of MINIs, bikes and other cars we saw crossing the yellow with careless abandon.

I did all my runs with GtrMINI and we were constantly watching each other and talking on the radios to make sure we did not cross. We watched videos to analyze our runs and found we were good on the yellow but we weren't watching our exit points and the white lines. So we made adjustments for that.

Our runs were spirited, but we focused on clean runs with smart shifts and minimal braking. So maybe we weren't the fastest out there but we had no trouble keeping up and got in a groove to the point where it was almost like the MINIs were driving themsleves sometimes. I have a Cooper and now I know that on the Dragon at least, HP does not matter. Skill is the currency of the Dragon.

But despite all our efforts we nearly had disaster two times. Once a biker on the shoulder backed his bike into our lane just as we were coming around a blind corner. We both had to cross yellow to avoid killing him (and maybe ourselves). And on Sunday morning, during our final run before driving home, a biker with a passenger took a corner to fast and crossed yellow. As we came around a blind corner he was dead-center in the middle of our lane. I had to leave the road to avoid killing them both. I was lucky there was enough shoulder to do that.

So what I learned is no matter how well you drive and how hard you try to play by the rules, as long as there are others who don't think the rules apply to them we all face big risks out there.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Greatbear
Originally Posted by justintime
AND the brakelights are clearly out
Brakes? On the Dragon? lol

Old 05-11-2007, 11:00 PM
justintime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
Brakes? On the Dragon? lol
GAH! I meant to say reverse

Old 05-11-2007, 11:02 PM
justintime
6th Gear
and ya mini bee.. im always afraid of other people that are coming across the yellows at speed

Old 05-12-2007, 08:25 AM
snapper
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call on the COPS!!!!

Old 05-12-2007, 09:08 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by snapper
Call on the COPS!!!!

MBE they need to get the local fuzz some MINI cruisers
so they can run a better line

Old 05-12-2007, 07:19 PM
ARTSJCW
6th Gear
Call the cops

Priceless

Old 05-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Yucca Patrol
But why blur the license plate of the offending law enforcement officer? To keep their identity private or to keep someone from admiring that nice cruiser online and decided they are going to go steal it?

Old 05-13-2007, 06:50 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_Bee
But despite all our efforts we nearly had disaster two times. Once a biker on the shoulder backed his bike into our lane just as we were coming around a blind corner. We both had to cross yellow to avoid killing him (and maybe ourselves). And on Sunday morning, during our final run before driving home, a biker with a passenger took a corner to fast and crossed yellow. As we came around a blind corner he was dead-center in the middle of our lane. I had to leave the road to avoid killing them both. I was lucky there was enough shoulder to do that.

So what I learned is no matter how well you drive and how hard you try to play by the rules, as long as there are others who don't think the rules apply to them we all face big risks out there.
Man, I am SO glad that you avoided disaster... Luckily you were driving SMART and had enough "left over" to get out of the nimrod's way. It wouldn;t have been your fault if you couldn't have, but I can only imagine how you would have felt afterwards...

Old 05-14-2007, 04:25 AM
Moskito
5th Gear
I hope that there are no pics of me out there like that, as I noticed after shooting a few pics on friday afternoon that I caught a couple MINI racers "picking" their own lane. I was busy shooting so I did not see it then, but saw it when I looked at the pics.

What is the courtesy regarding posting them?

Old 05-14-2007, 06:29 AM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Honestly, if there were any of me over in the opposite lanes I'd wanna see 'em.

I know on a couple of occasions I'll get the left wheels on the line, but I'm pretty careful to minimize it as much as possible. Having someone show proof that someone was over might reinforce the idea that we all have to be careful and controlled out there.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Dude, same here. I was being SO careful not to cross the double yellow and the result was that i was ALL OVER the white line

Quick Reply: "Busted" by Killboy