5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Post Brew Swap Notes, Comments & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:53 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Theresa
My honey and I had a great time. I doubt you will be able to come up with something as exciting as Chad's proposal to our Queen for next year. I have two suggestions. I loved watching the Beerlympics. Perhaps next year start with the team event and then run Beer Pong on one side of the stage while the other events are going on. It takes a long time. 2nd, maybe the prizes can be distributed over the course of the evening. I liked having a bunch of prizes (of course I won something so I'm prejudiced). If you called out a couple winners each half hour and culminated with the big prize and shifter **** in the last half hour It would keep the excitement going, and you would catch most of those people before they left for the drive-in. I would love to help next year IF we can come. We were not able to secure a room as Fontana was booked before we left.

Thanks so much for all your effort - it was the most exciting event of the week-end
I agree that topping the proposal is pretty much impossible. We did the two events at one time during the Beerlympics this year (beer pong and trivia) and I was told by many that they didn't like that. The spectators wanted to focus on one event and the team members don't want to miss out supporting each other. Honestly, the beerlympics will be longer this year but with shorter events ( I think, except beer pong). It will also start later to allow for more swapping before the spectating. If the beerlympics run too long folks can then leave without feeling like they missed out on swapping.

Last year I gave away the prizes through the night and it was more work than it was this year. So that's out for now. If terryG brings an electronic set up that works for selecting the winners and putting them on a board or something then I'll consider that.

WHEN you come next year I'll be happy to accept your help.

Thanks for the feedback and please keep it coming!

Old 05-09-2007, 06:21 PM
acej80
2nd Gear
Matt, great event, I enjoyed every minute of it. Sorry for calling you Doug when I handed you that Yuengling (no idea where I got Doug, , maybe too many beers at that point ) Anyhow, I wouldn't increase the number of people, I think it was just the right size. Something to consider, is to make more room for the beerlympics by opening up the extra space that was behind the PittStop tables. Thanks again for a great event, and I'm looking forward to the event again next year

Old 05-09-2007, 07:35 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PEP

I enjoyed the homebrew contest and people seemed to like my beer. I had several compliments and I traded all that I brought. I would have liked to have had the results announced even though I didn't win. I will certainly do it again next year.
Who were you? As a matter of fact if you remember your number please send me a PM. I will be happy to give you what I wrote down (if the papers have been lost) via PM for each of you that participated. Please let me know the number you had on your bottles as that is the only way I will know who you are and it is the only way I can visualize the beers I was tasting.

Please understand how subjective my comments are since I am a novice judge but a 10 year homebrewer. I know what I like and what I look for. Kirby was helpful in giving us the what we needed to look for in specifics. The funny thing is that we are all in agreance for the most part about all the beers and I think that says alot!

Thanks again for this awesome event and I hope more people participate in the homebrew next year.

chris

Old 05-10-2007, 05:30 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Chris, send your notes to me and I can get them to each home brewer. I thought they had gotten tossed. Glad to see they didn't.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:12 AM
GreenIguana
2nd Gear
First time swapper... Had fun, did not bring beer to trade just wanted to drink and observe. If beer could be for sale at event or close to it (I went to grill and bought some swaps) it would be even better. Thanks for planning the event.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Selling beer starts to skirt legal issues. That is not a direction I think anyone should pursue.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
There will never be beer sold at the Swap. The entire point of the event is for people to bring beers from their part of the world to the swap. There are people who, unfortunately, live in areas where there isn't really any local beers. So they find what they can and bring that. But this started as a way to sample and take back microbrew beers from around the country and Canada. That will not change.

That said, there is a store in Asheville called Bruisin' Ales which has a wonderful selection of beers from around the country/world. If you can't bring any next year I would suggest a side trip before the Swap to Asheville to pick up some good stuff.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:48 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by ashboomstick
Dude. Spaten Optimator!
That's what I had in that 8 oz. glass in that pic with my Dad! Watch out though, if you drink that stuff on an empty stomach you're gonna need a tow truck cause you'll be wrecked!
Tried that Optimator last night. Very good after it warmed up a bit. Highly recommended for anyone who likes beers such as Stone's Arrogant Bastard.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:10 AM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
True, you gotta let it warm up a little bit, let the taste really blossom... I think when I drank it I was coming off of night shift on an empty stomach.

kinda like the Rio Blanco Pale Ale from Real Ale Brewing Co. i got's in fronta me now... methinks shortly me typing might be geting a bitte slurrrreedd. Actually it's only 5.2% but not bad for a session beer.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:11 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
True, you gotta let it warm up a little bit, let the taste really blossom... I think when I drank it I was coming off of night shift on an empty stomach.

kinda like the Rio Blanco Pale Ale from Real Ale Brewing Co. i got's in fronta me now... methinks shortly me typing might be geting a bitte slurrrreedd. Actually it's only 5.2% but not bad for a session beer.
Getting an early start on the weekend?

I've got the Full Sail Rip Curl in the fridge tonight along with the Spaten Oktoberfest. Those should go well with some Pizza and 'Lost'.

Tomorrow I'm busting open that Dogfish Head Black & Blue. Man I can't wait...

Old 05-11-2007, 11:09 AM
GP Steve
1st Gear
Matt,

It was my first MOTD and the swap was great. I have tried a ton of different brews through my travels and it never ceases to amaze me the growing number of fine beers their are. This event is an awsome idea and the venue was perfect. Everyone was friendly and open to new taste. Great to see everyone trying to bring different beers. Cant wait for next year!!! I will have to get a cabin or camp out so that I can taste a few more without having to cut the tasting short so that I drive back my hotel!!!

Dont change anything!

Old 05-11-2007, 05:29 PM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
Getting an early start on the weekend?

I've got the Full Sail Rip Curl in the fridge tonight along with the Spaten Oktoberfest. Those should go well with some Pizza and 'Lost'.

Tomorrow I'm busting open that Dogfish Head Black & Blue. Man I can't wait...
Nope, just the easiest way to transition to working nights and sleeping through a really sunny day!

I actually got a case of the Spaten Oktoberfest last fall, October IIRC... . that stuff is really good, not too heavy, not too light; Goldilocks would like it. I can't say that I even saw the Black and Blue, have to keep my eye out for that one at the beer store.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:56 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Steve, you sure you're not just biased from winning that sweet shifter ****?

Ash, I feel ya bro. Worked night shifts on college breaks. Awful stuff. Just finished the Full Sail Rip Curl...kick *** English Pale Ale.

Onto the Oktoberfest...

I'll let you know about the Black & Blue tomorrow.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:14 PM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Steve, you won the ****?!? You bastid!!!

Old 05-13-2007, 05:29 PM
jeffc
7th Gear
Anyone ever have Xingu beer from Brazil? It is a dark beer with one of the best flavors I have ever had. If you like Guiness you will love Xingu.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:08 PM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
They've got it at the Ipanama Grill, a Brazilian steakhouse here in Richmond. I don't think it's that similar to Guinness, but it is very good.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:03 PM
zinvestor
4th Gear
Any target date yet

Originally Posted by MININurse
Sometime in the near future I will have the list of what beers I was able to write down.
I hope I got them all...With 250 people and with all the beer in attendance, I may have missed a couple. Please let me know if I missed yours and I will put it in the official scribe notes!
I know its a busy time, but have you made any progress? I am looking forward to seeing the full list and checking whether you got mine or not

Old 05-26-2007, 08:27 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Well I had a beer tasing at my house tonight. We sampled all the beers I got at the swap. YAY!! we had fun!! Thanks to everyone for the great beers!! Most of what I got was enjoyed by all but my Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale was the favorite
Unfortunately I am now out of Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale

Dead Soldiers:

Please send more beer

Old 05-27-2007, 12:46 PM
jibeho
5th Gear
Yeah the DD was great! I have about 7 bottles left from the case I brought home.

Originally Posted by bamatt
Well I had a beer tasing at my house tonight. We sampled all the beers I got at the swap. YAY!! we had fun!! Thanks to everyone for the great beers!! Most of what I got was enjoyed by all but my Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale was the favorite
Unfortunately I am now out of Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale

Dead Soldiers:

Please send more beer

Old 05-27-2007, 01:11 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jibeho
Yeah the DD was great! I have about 7 bottles left from the case I brought home.
I am trekking 117 miles to a store near Atlanta to get some more DD next Saturday

Old 05-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
I am trekking 117 miles to a store near Atlanta to get some more DD next Saturday
Would you believe a few of us from AtlantaMINI's are planning on trekking sometime soon to B'ham for some Whataburger?

Old 05-27-2007, 08:01 PM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
It's not so farfetched. I go to Knoxville for the Krystals.

I found this really cool road just south of there too...

Old 05-27-2007, 08:07 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Trinity07
Would you believe a few of us from AtlantaMINI's are planning on trekking sometime soon to B'ham for some Whataburger?
Well it would be lovely if Alabama would ever pass the bill allowing beer with over 6% alcohol in the state.

What no Whataburgers in GA & btw if you are coming all the way to bama, Milo's hamburgers are way better

Last edited by bamatt; 05-27-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
It's not so farfetched. I go to Knoxville for the Krystals.

I found this really cool road just south of there too...
Krystals? Im sure the ride home with you aint pretty

Well it would be lovely if Alabama would ever pass the bill allowing beer with over 6% alcohol in the state.

What no Whataburgers in GA & btw if you are coming all the way to bama, Milo's hamburgers are way better
I feel your pain. Now if only GA would sell beer on Sundays

No Whataburgers in GA that I know of. I actually lived in Auburn for a short while and never had a Whataburger although I did like Cheeburger Cheeburger . When we plan our 'Bama Burger Ride we'll let you know, Im sure I could smuggle some booze across the border for you!

Old 05-27-2007, 08:52 PM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Trinity07
Krystals? Im sure the ride home with you aint pretty
Nah, its all good. If it was bad, remember Krut's shirt at the BrewSwap? "The dog did it!"

Quick Reply: Post Brew Swap Notes, Comments & More