5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Post Brew Swap Notes, Comments & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:07 PM
200-OK
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt,

As I mentioned in the other thread this was a great event. I like the idea of keeping it the same size, but I have a hunch that there will be many disappointed folks come registration next year!

I did have one idea to consider for next year: how about starting the Beerolympics a little later? This was a fantastic mixer event (got to meet many really nice beer-lovers), but once the Beerolympic competition started, most of the mixing ground to a halt. No big deal, just an observation. If prizes are reduced (saving time) and registration goes a bit quicker, then maybe this won't matter anyway.

Thanks again for all the hard work!

-Ed

Old 05-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jibeho
She was my Swapette, while I was manning my table she was out on the swap mission.
Thanks Again
The Frau was doing the same thing for us She kept going out with bottles of our stuff and reappearing with other stuff

Old 05-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No question this year was even better than last year. Great job Matt!

I sure wish I had a partner to help me. Since I got a little bit of a slow start and I spent the last hour at the registration desk I ended up bringing back a full case of my own stuff. Good thing I like that beer!

One piece of feedback: I don't know if there is even a choice in the matter, but I think it would help having the long rectangle tables instead of the round ones. I think you could actually fit a few more people without being much more crowded (maybe allowing for a limit of 300 vs. this year's 250). It would also be easier to handle the sampling. I couldn't reach the other side of my table without having to walk around a bunch of people and stuff. (I seem to remember you finding out about the round tables last-minute yourself, so you're probably already on top of this one.)

Old 05-07-2007, 12:46 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Having a partner, whether spousal or friend, is a great method for doing the swap. Each of the people can have a turn going out, mingling and swapping while the other mans the table.

Ed, I do think starting the Beerlympics later is a good idea. Since I'll keep prizes to a minimum and pull for that early that should work out nicely. Figure 2 hours of swap time before the games should be sufficient...maybe 2.5 hours.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
Matt:

I know there were many disappointed attendees that wanted to join in on not only the Brew Swap but also the dinners (the Not-So-Welcome-Dinner logos, for example) that were limited by available space. (I suppose for fire safety capacity of the building.) Would it be too difficult to get a LARGE tent that could be placed on a nice flat area (I know this may be limited, too!) to accomodate more registered members so as not to disappoint those that want to be part of all the events? I've been part of some BIG outdoor events at racetracks where they can easily fit 500 people under one of these tents with portable toilets outside. Even if this were to raise the registration costs by $10/person I think it's worth it so as not to make anyone feel left out.

Otherwise great job on the Brew Swap and look forward to it again.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Originally Posted by Cooper Guy
Matt:

Would it be too difficult to get a LARGE tent that could be placed on a nice flat area (I know this may be limited, too!) to accomodate more registered members so as not to disappoint those that want to be part of all the events?
This is something that is being discussed with Fontana. Magic 8 ball says: Chances are good. ...but the Brew Swap is not likely to be one of the events in such a tent.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:56 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
John, yeah the round tables were not my choice. I was under the impression I would have rectangular tables up until a week before the event. If the dinner changes that were discussed at our meeting go into effect next year then there should be no issue with having rectangular tables. I'll be sure to cover the issue specifically with Fontana once we know how the dinner plans are going to shake out.

CooperGuy, the thing is, this event seems to me to be better suited to a smaller crowd than an unlimited crowd. The dinner situation is being looked at and will hopefully be rectified for next year. As for the Brew Swap, I like the idea of keeping it limited. If we were to increase the size (for argument's sake let's say we have the space) then I'd have to increase the price of the ticket to cover expenses. And I don't want to do that. I was surprised I got no push back this year on the $6 fee. I don't want to push it to $10. I don't even want to push it to $8. I may have too, we'll see. If the masses enjoy getting things like the pint glasses then the fee needs to stay. If no one cares about the glasses then we can ditch that part of it and save money.

The Beerlympics next year will probably have a small costs to them (i.e. each member pays $5) but that would be to cover the cost of the glasses and/or shirts. I think the teams next year want to make up their own shirts so that cost can be removed as well. It's all a balancing act. I have $150 left over from the Swap which is now the starting budget for next year's swap.

I also need to know if we should do the home brewing competition again. I know most didn't see that going on but that's not really a spectator event. But if other home brewers out there want to try their hand at it to win an award then we can do it again.

This is why I need your feedback so keep it coming. Good stuff so far.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Matt, I had no problem with the $6 at all and never even considered the Glasses as part of that. And if food's involved... $10 is still a VERY decent price (IMHO of course)

Old 05-07-2007, 01:37 PM
steebo777
2nd Gear
Matt - Awesome job on everything! The Brew Swap was fun and the Beerlympics was simply amazing. I can't wait for next year when we move up from second to first place. Detroit Demolition shall demolish The Queens (or whatever you called yourselves)!!!

Old 05-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Bear Slayer
1st Gear
Matt,
First of all, it was great seeing you and Heidi again this year. Secondly, you hands-down outdid yourself from last year. This was simply an unbelievable event. Keep it the same size. It was perfect.

If you need help with anything, please let me know. I'd love to help out any way I can.

On the prize thing, here's a thought: how about a silent auction. That way people that want something really bad can blow as much as they want. And we can raise some money for a favorite charity, like Alcoholics Anonymous! If you need help with prize organization, let me know and I'll help out all I can.

Thanks also to Chad for hooking me up on a replacement BS1 pint glass, and thanks again to Tori for hooking the unregistered slacker up on a dash plaque.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Lukifer
2nd Gear
I had a great time, and I dont drink Beer :-) I might have to get a taste for it just so i can do the games next year :-)

Old 05-07-2007, 02:09 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by Bear Slayer
If you need help with anything, please let me know. I'd love to help out any way I can.

On the prize thing, here's a thought: how about a silent auction. That way people that want something really bad can blow as much as they want. And we can raise some money for a favorite charity, like Alcoholics Anonymous! If you need help with prize organization, let me know and I'll help out all I can.
Consider yourself volunteered for next year. Just make sure you register for everything next time.

The main reason to ditch the prizes is that it is time consuming. Feel free to think about a way it could be done that wouldn't involve stopping the event and broadcasting the winners, etc, etc. I'm open to ideas, I just don't see a way to do it to where it isn't a drag.

Drill, I still have no plans to offer any type of food at the event. Starting at 6pm in the evening should allow people time to eat dinner prior to the event and thus negate the need for food.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:11 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by Lukifer
I had a great time, and I dont drink Beer :-) I might have to get a taste for it just so i can do the games next year :-)
It's definitely an acquired taste. When I first started drinking beer I hated the taste. Then I found one I liked and that kind of turned it around for me. Since I put on the Brew Swap last year I've found myself appreciating more and more styles. I used to hate ALL dark beers. Now I like some, don't like others.

It is truly fun to try new beers and taste the plethora of flavors out there.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Lukifer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
It's definitely an acquired taste. When I first started drinking beer I hated the taste. Then I found one I liked and that kind of turned it around for me. Since I put on the Brew Swap last year I've found myself appreciating more and more styles. I used to hate ALL dark beers. Now I like some, don't like others.

It is truly fun to try new beers and taste the plethora of flavors out there.

And if I cant find one I like, can I play with Shots?

Old 05-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Drill, I still have no plans to offer any type of food at the event. Starting at 6pm in the evening should allow people time to eat dinner prior to the event and thus negate the need for food.
Sorry, I thought I saw mention of Hors D'ourves in an earlier post/comment.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:19 PM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Lukifer
And if I cant find one I like, can I play with Shots?
You, sir, must be a dangerous man to drink with!

Old 05-07-2007, 06:04 PM
jibeho
5th Gear
Old 05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
200-OK
4th Gear
More pics...

Just a few quick pics:

Poster created by Lakefront Brewery, Milwaukee WI:

And the winning home brews:

Cheers,
Ed

Old 05-07-2007, 08:39 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
My fridge post brewswap

Old 05-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Pamalalala
4th Gear
Matt & Heidi,

Wooohooo! What a terrific event! I don't even drink beer and I LOVE going to your Brew Swap.

Tag teaming for the swap is definitely the way to do it. It allows for maximum socializing and table coverage. I loved being in the larger room. The crowd was just the right size and it was comfortable the entire time - room and temperature.

Thank you so much for all your hard work!! We can't wait until next year!!!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Bear Slayer
1st Gear
Just make sure you register for everything next time.

The main reason to ditch the prizes is that it is time consuming. Feel free to think about a way it could be done that wouldn't involve stopping the event and broadcasting the winners, etc, etc. I'm open to ideas, I just don't see a way to do it to where it isn't a drag.
Hey, I registered for the one event that counts, right?

Here's an idea for the prize thing. Instead of stopping the festivities to announce prize winners, just post the winners on a whiteboard and the people can check it at their leisure and see if they won.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:45 AM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
My fridge post brewswap

You do eat food sometimes though, don't you?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:47 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tigwantstoplay

You do eat food sometimes though, don't you?
Not much of anything perishable til I get to drinkin

Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 AM
terryg
4th Gear
If you want to go into full geek mode, use a laptop and projector and display the winners on the wall after the computer picks them at random. You could also attach a fixed position camera to it so we can get a top-down view over the beerlympics

I WILL have my carputer and camera fully integrated by next MOTD, and would be glad to help setup the e-Brewswap

Last edited by terryg; 05-08-2007 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-08-2007, 12:02 PM
lildvl651
Neutral
You are welcome for the help. I had a great time at the event. It was a blast!! I can't wait till next year. If you need any help for next year, I will gladly do so.

Quick Reply: Post Brew Swap Notes, Comments & More