5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

So What Happened to YOUR car this MOTD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:41 PM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So What Happened to YOUR car this MOTD?

Well besides all the new mods and of course the new dragon graphics, MOTD was not nice this year to us....

On Wednesday we lost power steering at mile 7 coming southbound. I was sure glad Jay was driving and not me...It took all his strength to turn the wheel! YIKES! If I was behind the wheel, we may have been off the mountain! (We did get it back, but we never got to drive the dragon again till we left)

And then to top it off, on the way home, our check engine light came on...We are not sure what is going wrong, but we don't have the same power as before, and as we came off the highway, we noticed that there is some kind of engine rattle!!!

So here is the list of what needs to be checked out tomorrow... We need a new coolant tank, there is an oil leak, we are missing a throttle body bracket (don't know where that came from) we need a new flywheel (the car is still making the eeert sound after being replaced,) the check engine light, and now some kind of rattle!

What happened to your car this MOTD?

Old 05-06-2007, 06:44 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Let's see...

threw sel and eml at idle many times today as I was leaving and once yesterday but goes away when I punch the gas... go figure

put on a new dampener, new shiney m7 shifter ****....

ooh and I won me some fancy new Wilwood brakes! Wohoo!!! those will go on later this week.

MININurse... sounds like you need a full checkup and a few cocktails to get over the drive home! glad you guys made it home safe!

see you soon

Old 05-06-2007, 08:19 PM
200-OK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MININurse
What happened to your car this MOTD?
Wow, sorry to hear about your trouble. And I was upset because I have a bunch of mud and a few more paint chips!!!

On the plus side, I have a new M7 Strut brace, a new engine damper (thanks Shoe!), and some new Mini Fini cup holders!

It was great being able to place faces with the names here on NAM!

-Ed

Old 05-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
The Batmini arrived dirty, and left clean, also with spiffy new black gauge faceplates.

(pics in my gallery)

Old 05-07-2007, 04:15 AM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
I also lost the Power steering while doing the dragon. Then it came back on but would shut off. So anytime I stopped (for more then 1 hr) I was disconnecting the Battery in fear it may run dead. Oh and I cracked my Rear seat delete Kit (Homemade).

Old 05-07-2007, 05:40 AM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
The Batmini arrived dirty, and left clean, also with spiffy new black gauge faceplates.

(pics in my gallery)

AH HEMmmmm and a nice black belt line.....

Old 05-07-2007, 05:41 AM
defylogik
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why did my post get deleted?

no PS sucks.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:51 AM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
I had the DDM Works CAI installed on my Cooper by Waylen and it sounds awesome!

Unfortunately, my power steering started to act up as well. It stopped working after I left the Dragon yesterday on the way home. Got home ok, need to call the dealer today to make an appointment.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:22 AM
ITLRUN
1st Gear
My wife and I drove up Saturday morning with the two girls. My 6yo daughter was so excited that we were going to the "dragon tails". She is a little speed demon and loves to go through the twisties.

Well this trip was full of firsts:

First time on the Dragon with the MCS,
with it raining,
going completely through without getting caught behind slow traffic,
going the speed limit (rain and family),
and having may daughter decide to get car sick and THROW UP in the Cooper!!!

Thats right, she gets sick running the speed limit. I guess there's a first for everything! LOL

Old 05-07-2007, 06:25 AM
HotRodPilot
3rd Gear
Rotors were warped so Dan from Grassroots Garage installed some PowerSlot rotors for me.

Before the parade I managed to pick up an antenna (?) that poked a hole in the plastic flap in front of the tire and was dragging. Thanks to those that pulled it out for me at the front of the line.

Also got a small crack in the windsheild sometime on Thursday

Old 05-07-2007, 06:28 AM
vango
1st Gear
Got a cracked windshield, but at least no one threw up in the car, jennifer came close a few times....

Old 05-07-2007, 06:29 AM
PredMini
3rd Gear
I didn't even make it...... The wife got sick and we had to cancel out last minute.

Anyway the Friday before the Dragon, the wife was on her way home through Atlanta. A semi truck kicked up something that hit the Mini. We lost one of the driving lights, got a nice dent in the bumper and disentigrated the hood scoop.

By the end of the week the Mini should be stripeless, and have gloss black headlight trim rings, black hood scoop, black A-Panel S grills, gloss black powdercoated driving lights and gas cap. New door handles will also be painted, but not installed till I can find the time. The only chrome left will be the Mini logos on the boot and bonnet.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:32 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
We got Hawaiian boot and bonnet stripes. Had a spurious low tire pressure warring light on the way home.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:34 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like I came off relatively unscathed. Only thing is I got to work today and my third brake light wouldn't turn off. I restarted the car and that killed it, but I'll be watching closely from now on.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Ogre
1st Gear
Sheesh.

Well, I'd like to tell anyone considering going next time that is IT possible to go and NOT have your car break! I had a great time and see no evidence of anything that's broken -- and we made the long Cherhola loop all the way up and down the mountain and all the way around to the Dragon. All I got was a bit dirty in all the rain!

Old 05-07-2007, 06:44 AM
terryg
4th Gear
I unintentionally left the driver's side window partially down Friday night. The inside of the car got soaked in the heavy rains, and now the manual door latch won't work. The Wet Okoles did a GREAT job keeping the seat dry, though.

Then Sunday morning when we were packing up, my wife forgot to tell me she had opened the drain on the cooler, and the boot got flooded with all the melted ice from our 1st Annual Heinzelmaennchen Microbrewery run. Today is definitely "Air out the car day"

Old 05-07-2007, 06:51 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by terryg
I unintentionally left the driver's side window partially down Friday night. The inside of the car got soaked in the heavy rains, and now the manual door latch won't work. The Wet Okoles did a GREAT job keeping the seat dry, though.

Then Sunday morning when we were packing up, my wife forgot to tell me she had opened the drain on the cooler, and the boot got flooded with all the melted ice from our 1st Annual Heinzelmaennchen Microbrewery run. Today is definitely "Air out the car day"
I left my sunroof wide open on Friday night (too much fun ) and the headliner, front seats and mats were totally drenched. Needless to say, it was a stinky and damp ride home. All is well now (a 600 mile drive with all windows opened worked amazingly well).

Old 05-07-2007, 06:53 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had to dodge a new hot water heater on I-40 yesterday! That was fun! I got a damper installed by Grassroots Garage and the Drive-in movie was a blast! I hope everyone had a great time. See you next year!

Old 05-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I lost two aluminum billet 'hubcaps' from my SSRs in the Dragon. Luckily I have extras. I also wore the hell out of my tires.

I gained a set of Alta front and rear adjustable swaybar links from Outmotoring, a carbon fiber air diverter plate and an engine damper from Custom Mini Shop and a few other goodies. It balances out I guess.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:43 AM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
I threw check engine lights after each fill up on gas. The car still runs great with plenty of power. I think it is a gas gap failure.. ARGHHH

I got my engine dampner installed by SHU. (saved big bucks over the TSW one). Came up with some ideas for an Air diverter plate (no need to lighten my wallet on Carbon Fiber when a piece of Cardboard or Plastic will do the same thing).

Picked up a shift brake and e brake boot for cheap. That will be used for my Plaid interior project.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:57 AM
TampaMCS
5th Gear
cracked lower aero kit and a $700 speeding ticket in Ga....

Old 05-07-2007, 08:01 AM
ITLRUN
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TampaMCS
cracked lower aero kit and a $700 speeding ticket in Ga....
D A Y U M!!! Where were you and how fast were you going?!?!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:02 AM
TampaMCS
5th Gear
Allegedly, I was going 80 in a 60 in a construction zone. The other MINI with me got the same ticket...

I was around exit 104 in S. Ga on I-75.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:11 AM
TReed
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TampaMCS
Allegedly, I was going 80 in a 60 in a construction zone. The other MINI with me got the same ticket...

I was around exit 104 in S. Ga on I-75.
That other MINI was me.

Nothing bad happened to Shadow, though, thank goodness. Would have been a perfect trip aside from the ticket. I had a great time!
I did buy the M7 aero CF Splitter, but did not get it installed yet.

-Tracey

Last edited by TReed; 05-07-2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Want to sell it cheap, to help pay for that ticket?

Quick Reply: So What Happened to YOUR car this MOTD?