3rd Gen FAQs 3rd Gen Common Questions & Answers!

Center console removal changes in 2019 with wireless charger and CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Strasner
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Center console removal changes in 2019 with wireless charger and CarPlay

So I decided to install a Cravenspeed short shifter as the first hardware mod in the F56 (cause I hate myself and tearing the center console apart seemed fun for some reason).

There are a few differences in the existing how-to teardown guides and Cravenspeed install guide that you need to take into account when removing the armrest with built in wireless charger and the iDrive controller next to the gear shifter.

First change is that the side torx screws on the rear cupholder are now self-locking pins and can be easily removed with a trim removal tool. Be patient with it and make sure your removal tool is underneath the full top hat of the pin otherwise the smooth rounded tip will pop off easily (this was the only casualty in my install!).

Underneath the rear cupholder there are wiring harnesses on both sides of the console. From my limited knowledge this should be the antenna that connects the built in LTE booster in the charging cradle and the power for the charging unit and fan. The power harness has a little black tab about the grey lock that is easily pressed with your finger and the grey lock slides up and over the top which releases the harness. Super easy.

The iDrive controller comes out easily. The surrounding cover pops up from the bottom (back) and pull backward away from the shift housing once the clips are disconnected. Remove the two grey screws and then pull straight back. The front clip is just a pressure hold. The blue wire connection on the bottom is a little bit of a pain to disconnect, again go slowly. The screw underneath the controller is a 25 (I think) torx screw. After disconnecting the controller’s power unhook the wire harness and feed it through into the shifter housing.

The shift **** on the 2019 (or at least my 2019) and the boot are attached so pop the clips around the bottom of the boot first and then pull the shift **** straight upward. This was the easiest part of the install. Came right off without much of a fight.

Removing the shift cable from the stupid shifter was the hardest part. Took 2-3 hours alone. I snapped a screwdriver in half trying to use the handle to wedge and pop it out. I finally got it by putting a wrench around cable and a hammer (thanks to Mini_Vinnie for the help and moral support through the whole process!) and while in the passenger side of the car I held the shifter as far left as possible. I genuinely considered putting everything back together and returning the short shifter but I am glad that I persisted.

I left the reverse pivot in place and the 10mm bolts of the shifter housing do not need to be removed as the new ones have the bushings integrated into the housing. This also means you do not need to unclip all of the wire harnesses that surround the shift housing. Follow the rest of Cravenspeed’s steps from there and you should be good!

The following users liked this post:
Mini_Vinnie (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 10:54 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Great guide! Thanks for posting it. I'll move it to the FAQ