3rd Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2005) Ready to make the trek to the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be the largest MINI gathering in 2005.

MINIs on the Dragon updates, news, deadlines, and more!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINIs on the Dragon updates, news, deadlines, and more!

Also sent to those on the MOTD Mailing List

In the weeks since the last email there have been a lot of updates for the event:

• Bonfire for Saturday night (prior to Midnight on the Dragon)
  • Exhaust Shoot out
  • Horseback riding information
  • People's Choice award
  • Panoramic group photo
  • and more...
For the latest events be sure to check the MOTD area on NAM.

News
After his inaugural trip to the Dragon last year in the first US roadworthy cabrio Jeff Stracco (MINI Product Manager for the US) will again be joining us on Friday and Saturday. This year he will be bringing another cabrio but one that has just about every JCW option available (and then some). Jeff will be joining us at the Friday and Saturday dinners so be sure to make him welcome!

This year we've arranged something different for the group photo. George S. Pearl (www.atlantapanorama.com) is coming with his special panorama gear and will shoot as many MINIs as we can get at the foot of Fontana DAM into a 10in by 60in (yes...5ft) wide photo. More information on the photo and pre-ordering can be found by clicking here.

Deadlines
With the event only 31 days away deadlines are now being set. If you haven't already done so encourage those considering attending to get their registrations, shirt orders, etc. in as soon as possible. Deadlines are now listed in the MOTD Event Planner as well as in each event where a deadline is needed. Some important deadlines to keep in mind are:

Cherohala Skyway Drive - Lunch pre-order: April 15

Registration package: April 17 (basic registrations will be available online through May 1st and at the event thereafter)

Event t-shirts (official MOTD shirt, Midnight on the Dragon, and Cigar Salon shirts): April 17

Event buttons: April 17

Paintball: April 20

Welcome Dinner: April 21

Dam Panoramic Photo: May 1

Special notes
There are still spots available for Chili Cook Off contestants. If you have a recipe we encourage you to compete at the event. For more information click here.

Addtional changes and deadlines will be provided through the MOTD area of NAM. Be sure to check it often for the latest news and info.

Thanks and see you on the Dragon!

Last edited by Mark; 04-04-2005 at 10:16 AM. Reason: corrected URL
Old 04-09-2005, 03:27 PM
jonoanddee
2nd Gear
can you but alcohol in robbinsville or do we need to cart it from further out?

Old 04-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Big Jimmy
2nd Gear
Dry county... BYOB

Old 04-09-2005, 04:25 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jonoanddee
can you but alcohol in robbinsville or do we need to cart it from further out?
Robbinsville is in Graham County which is dry.

Not sure which is the last county you'll pass through and still be able to purchase alcohol in coming from Florida...

For those of you who will be passing through Knoxville and taking US-129 in, I don't believe the town's of Marysville or Alcoa are dry, so if need be you can pick up what you need there. Keep in mind though that if you're coming from this direction, you'll still need to drive The Dragon to get to your hotel. So strap those bottles (and anything else you don't want flying around your car) down!:smile:

Old 04-09-2005, 05:00 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
You can buy beer and wine at Tapoco Lodge. I’m not sure about the types of wine, but the beer selection is great.

But it's the only place in the area you can buy beer or wine.

Old 04-09-2005, 05:11 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
But can you take that with you off the property? I thought what was available for sale at Tapoco was only for consumption on Tapoco.

Old 04-09-2005, 06:12 PM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
Robbinsville is in Graham County which is dry.

Not sure which is the last county you'll pass through and still be able to purchase alcohol in coming from Florida...

For those of you who will be passing through Knoxville and taking US-129 in, I don't believe the town's of Marysville or Alcoa are dry, so if need be you can pick up what you need there. Keep in mind though that if you're coming from this direction, you'll still need to drive The Dragon to get to your hotel. So strap those bottles (and anything else you don't want flying around your car) down!:smile:
If you are already at the Dragon Maryville wil be the closest place for alcholic beverages. If you want to sound local pronounce it Murruhvuhl (sorry, best I can do typing). It is just a hop over the Foothills Parkway, left on 321. Good store in a shopping center on the right just past Lowell's BBQ.

If you are coming in on 129 past McGhee Tyson airport just keep an eye out. There are several places.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:53 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
But can you take that with you off the property? I thought what was available for sale at Tapoco was only for consumption on Tapoco.
Where did you get that idea, Michael? Even though Tapoco is the only place you can purchase beer/wine near the Dragon (due to some obscure horseshoe-tossing-court loophole ), they never said it had to be consumed on the grounds.

It's like a little package store. I'd say that ordering beer or wine at dinner in their Lodge would require consuming it there, but buying from their little store shouldn't be a problem. I bought Guinnesses there and took them back to Fontana! They have a VERY limited selection, but a nice one.

Good point about strapping down the beverages if driving them in through the Dragon!

Clover

Old 04-12-2005, 11:13 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Wasn't sure if it was a bar that was selling cans of beer or an actual package store. Most bars aren't licensed to sell alcohol for comsumption off their property, hence the reason for the question.

Either way though, I'd still suggest bringing your booze in with you. Like with the limited selection of groceries available at Fontana, being the only place for miles that carries the stuff means that you'll probably pay a premium for the privledge of being able to buy the stuff locally.

That's why I'd recommend you buy all the supplies you need (booze, food, film, batteries etc...) outside the area and cart it in with you.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:21 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
I recommend buying food at Ingle's in Robbinsville, the nearest town to the Dragon. They have an EXCELLENT selection of foods! I won't be carting as much food in this time, since I know what I can get there!

Clover

Old 04-12-2005, 01:34 PM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
Sorry for adding to this thread getting so far off topic, but....

is anyone interested in bringing LIQUOR? I heard a lot about beer, but considering this weekend will be my celebration weekend for graduating from Clemson University after a LONG 5 years, I know I'll have to have a real drink....

the reason I ask is because my girlfriend is a certified bartender, and doesn't drink much (the reason why its okay for us to party in Fontana and her driving me back to Robbinsville for our hotel at the Microtel!) If anyone is interested in bringing drinks and mixers, she's always willing to do what she does best - okay, second best - and make some good drinks for anyone interested!

let me know here or if we are actually trying to get this a little back on topic, PM me.... please note that she WILL be checking IDs for anyone she makes drinks for if you are under or around the age of 27 - we are BIG advocates for "No fun if you are under 21!"

Old 04-12-2005, 03:41 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by FastLaneTuning
Sorry for adding to this thread getting so far off topic, but....

is anyone interested in bringing LIQUOR? I heard a lot about beer, but considering this weekend will be my celebration weekend for graduating from Clemson University after a LONG 5 years, I know I'll have to have a real drink....

the reason I ask is because my girlfriend is a certified bartender, and doesn't drink much (the reason why its okay for us to party in Fontana and her driving me back to Robbinsville for our hotel at the Microtel!) If anyone is interested in bringing drinks and mixers, she's always willing to do what she does best - okay, second best - and make some good drinks for anyone interested!

let me know here or if we are actually trying to get this a little back on topic, PM me.... please note that she WILL be checking IDs for anyone she makes drinks for if you are under or around the age of 27 - we are BIG advocates for "No fun if you are under 21!"
:smile: Have you signed up for the Cigar Sampler, Mike? It follows directly after the Welcome Dinner and all types of libations are welcome and encouraged! I have a nice bottle of Port, I will be bringing some really GOOD tequila, and maybe some other drinkables, too.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...gar&eventid=23

Congrats on graduating....I'll drink to that!

Clover

Old 04-12-2005, 05:15 PM
MINItencan
Coordinator :: MINI Car Club of Indiana (MINICCI)
Originally Posted by MINIclo
I recommend buying food at Ingle's in Robbinsville, the nearest town to the Dragon. They have an EXCELLENT selection of foods! I won't be carting as much food in this time, since I know what I can get there!

Clover
Ingle's is the place to go.....we even got one of those discount card thingys for our keychain last fall!!

Old 04-13-2005, 08:42 AM
Minzilla
4th Gear
she makes drinks for if you are under or around the age of 27
Uhh, I think that would be me,

Don't forget Cinco De Mayo, Tequila all around

Old 04-13-2005, 01:36 PM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
I absolutely HATE tequilla, but considering it will be a national mexican holiday, I might have to suck it up and drink up. At the very least, I still have two cases of Corona's left at my house.....

Step 1: Enjoy Liquor
Step 2: Enjoy Cigars
Step 3: Cool out with the Corona
Step 4: Pass out and get ready for a whole day of driving on the Dragon!

Old 04-13-2005, 03:57 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I'm bringing a coupla gallons of Spanish sangria, for those with refined tastes.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:14 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by FastLaneTuning
I absolutely HATE tequilla, but considering it will be a national mexican holiday, I might have to suck it up and drink up.
Oh, Mike...I will absolutely change your mind about tequila with the delicious sipping one(s) I plan to bring: very tasty and mellow....great prep for dragonslaying, too!

Clover

Old 04-16-2005, 09:12 PM
MINItencan
Coordinator :: MINI Car Club of Indiana (MINICCI)
Dragon news...

All need to be aware the speed limit on the NC end of the Dragon has been lowered to 30 from the state line to the Fugitive Bridge.

There were at least 5 accidents on Friday Apr 15 on or near the Dragon. 3 required being air lifted out! It wasn't mentioned whether it was motorcycles or cars.

This is all according to Tailofthedragon.com.