1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to coopers

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 10:43 AM
instag8tr
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to coopers

Hi my name is Rob and i am new to mini's and am looking ot purchase one. I definately want a "s" but am unclear if the works package is worth money. I drove one with the jcw package and loved it, but any advis would be appreciated. I am looking to buy used also. Thanks

Old 12-03-2006, 11:32 AM
wonderboy
Banned
I have a full JCW car and can tell you that it is definitely not worth the money. I love mine, though.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:44 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by instag8tr
Hi my name is Rob and i am new to mini's and am looking ot purchase one. I definately want a "s" but am unclear if the works package is worth money. I drove one with the jcw package and loved it, but any advis would be appreciated. I am looking to buy used also. Thanks
Hi Rob,
Aloha and welcome to NAM.

OK, you like the S. I assume 2007 S which is different from past years. Or are you considering an 06 MCS?

Generally speaking the MCS has enough power for daily or street use. All you need to do is opt for the stock 16" wheels and skip the heavy 17x7" rims. For better performance you can replace the stock runflat tires with non runflat tires. Ride comfort and handling will improve.

The JCW upgrade is nice but costly. If you were going the route of lots of upgrades but want a warranty for peace of mind then it becomes a viable option as long as it fits your budget.

Consider that if you order a new MCS with JCW you can pay off your upgrades with warranty over time via your car loan or lease. For the rest of us we buy our MINIs then pay full price for the upgrade which voids our paid for warranty on the items that are upgraded.

Do you have a MINI dealership/service center nearby? If so then that helps alot for warranty issues. If you live very far from any MINI service center then a warranty would be less convenient.

Try going to a local MINI club event and go for a test drive in various MINIs. In the end it is your decision. Many MCS JCW owners are happy. Many MCS owners are happy to pick and choose which mods to add and when to suit their own needs and interests.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:49 AM
wonderboy
Banned
Originally Posted by minihune
Many MCS JCW owners are happy. Many MCS owners are happy to pick and choose which mods to add and when to suit their own needs and interests.
Let's not forget that many Cooper owners are happy also. The normally aspirated MC is a fantastic car in its own right.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 07's are a different car, and no one knows when the JCW version (if there will be one) will come out.

If you love what you drove, find an 06.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I think if you get a 2006 with the JCW package its totally worth the money. Great Car! IF you buy it from the dealer the price is alittle steep.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:52 PM
instag8tr
Neutral

thanks guys well my whole problem is i am coming off of a Corvette ZO6 so i am a horsepower junkie. not real worried about a warranty. There is not a mini club that i am aware of near me right now and the mini dealer doesnt open till april 07

Old 12-03-2006, 05:21 PM
instag8tr
Neutral
difference

what is the difference inbetween the years