1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifting from neutral

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:47 PM
RHM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shifting from neutral

Hi everyone. This is not my first post, but since I am still in neutral, I guess I have to post here. My intention is to order a 2006 MCs in about 2-3 weeks. I am driving a 2003 S2000 now, which I will be selling. I wanted to get a month of nice weather so I could drive with the top down before selling it. It is a good car, but not a good daily driver. I have spent many hours reading posts and making decisions about my new Mini.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:29 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Why is the S2000 not a good daily driver? I'm considering it when my car has to go to the wifey. By the way, welcome to NAM. Are you going to buy it off the lot?

Old 04-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I've heard great things about the S2000 and it got the same apporval score as the MINI according to CR so I figured it must be a least as much fun. I too would like to hear the inside story on the S2000.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:33 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
I've heard great things about the S2000 and it got the same apporval score as the MINI according to CR so I figured it must be a least as much fun. I too would like to hear the inside story on the S2000.
Not only is it reliable (read: Honda), it also gets really good crash test ratings, at least as good as the MINI. It at least has to have a better shifter than the MINI.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:48 PM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RHM
Hi everyone. This is not my first post, but since I am still in neutral, I guess I have to post here. My intention is to order a 2006 MCs in about 2-3 weeks. I am driving a 2003 S2000 now, which I will be selling. I wanted to get a month of nice weather so I could drive with the top down before selling it. It is a good car, but not a good daily driver. I have spent many hours reading posts and making decisions about my new Mini.
Welcome tom NAM. Dont worry about your post count just spend some time in the off topic forum and you will be in 6th in no time. Just hang out and chat. That is what I did. That and a lot of post whoring.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello & welcome to NAM. Why not keep the S2000 & get a MINI? They compliment each other very nicely. If I had to have only one car it'd be a MINI. The MINI just won't give you that roadster feel. That's why I kept my Miata after I bought my MINI.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:23 PM
lashoe
2nd Gear
I test drove a used 2001 S2000 after I bought my MINI just for the fun it. Had a good price and thought I might even like to own one, till I drove it. Your right it would make terrible daily driver. Its a very uncomfortable ride. might make a good second car or track car because it is fast. but would be to much like work to drive every day Mini is a great choice for fun to drive every day car.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
Welcome to NAM! Once you get your MINI that is all you'll want to drive. I'm still trying to get down to one car, my MCS, but it's hard to sell of that dang mini van I have which is GREAT for hauling things from Home Depot and parking at the stadium for ball games and other events.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:16 PM
RHM
2nd Gear
I do love the S2000. However, it rides harshly, is difficult for me to get in and out of (I'm mid 50s with bad knees), and the VTEC doesn't kick in until 6500 rpm, which is where you really get your performance. There aren't that many places to wind it out, which is the fun part of the car. It is one of the nicest looking cars on the road (my opinion), and I get many favorable comments about the car's appearance. I love having a convertible (though I am not getting a convertible MCS), but my wife doesn't want the top down except when we are within a narrow temperature range, and she is not going somewhere where she cares if her hair is wind blown. The S2000 also only gets about 20 mpg for general driving. I do have a 2005 Subaru Outback wagon (also a very nice car- but in a different way) as a second car (live in the country and need AWD), but it would be nice to keep the S2000 as a third car. Any while I'm at it, a pickup truck,....

Oh, and I am special ordering my Mini- Chili Red with black top & mirrors, aero grill, cold weather pkg, premium pkg, sports package (everything except wheel/tire upgrade). I am planning on buying aftermarket wheels (Centerline Storm) and non-runflat tires (Falken ZE-512), Hella driving lights (will install myself), and an Alta CAI unit (will install myself). Red interior trim with black/red leather/cloth seats. I haven't made a final decision about the audio system. I'm still waiting to find out more info on the new BMW IPod adaptor. May go to a aftermarket Kenwood system that is both IPod and Bluetooth ready.

A question that everyone could help me with- If I am planning on selling the wheels/runflats that come with the Mini S, would I do better getting the stock (non-sports package) 16 inch wheels, or the 17" wheels in the sports package (adds $200 to my cost). Thanks.

Old 04-14-2006, 05:24 AM
ronburton
2nd Gear
I just sold my '04 S2000 about a week ago. It was my primary car in the summer, although not my only car, and will be replaced by the Mini that I have on order. The S2000 is a great car but it is very focused. The revs on the VTEC engine have to be up over 6000 to really make power which is where the car is the most fun, but when not up on the revs the engine has enough torque to make a good day to day commuter. I typically got around 23 mpg and I drove the car fairly hard. What makes the car unreasonable as an only car, at least in New England,is that in can not be driven in the snow. The car will get stuck on a spot of ice the size of a quarter. I guess you could change the tires for winter driving but in my opinion anyone that owns an S2000, or for that matter any performance car, really needs to have another car for the winter. My only issue with selling the S2000 is giving up the convertible. For me fortunately I have a TR3 that hasn't been getting the use it should with the S2000 around. The S2000 was a great car but at this moment I'd really like to have my new Mini.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:47 PM
RHM
2nd Gear
S2000

Originally Posted by ronburton
I just sold my '04 S2000 about a week ago. It was my primary car in the summer, although not my only car, and will be replaced by the Mini that I have on order. The S2000 is a great car but it is very focused. The revs on the VTEC engine have to be up over 6000 to really make power which is where the car is the most fun, but when not up on the revs the engine has enough torque to make a good day to day commuter. I typically got around 23 mpg and I drove the car fairly hard. What makes the car unreasonable as an only car, at least in New England,is that in can not be driven in the snow. The car will get stuck on a spot of ice the size of a quarter. I guess you could change the tires for winter driving but in my opinion anyone that owns an S2000, or for that matter any performance car, really needs to have another car for the winter. My only issue with selling the S2000 is giving up the convertible. For me fortunately I have a TR3 that hasn't been getting the use it should with the S2000 around. The S2000 was a great car but at this moment I'd really like to have my new Mini.

I agree with Ron that this is not a winter car. I prefer to drive mine only when I can put the top down. While PA does not get as much snow as where Ron is, my S2000 spends most of the winter in the garage. I think the Mini will be a more practical all around car, but still a hoot to drive.