1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wish I can get white roof w/ body color mirror.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 11:34 AM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I can get white roof w/ body color mirror.

I know this is a somewhat inane issue, but I have a few minutes to kill. When I was choosing my colors, I knew I wanted BRG for the body, then I tried both body color and white roof on MINIUSA, and I decded I liked the white roof, but the mirrors are tied to the roof color and I thought the white mirrors kind of clashed with the body on the bottom half. My perfect combination would have been BRG body and mirror, and white roof. However, since I couldn't get that, I opted for the white bonnet stripes, which matched the mirrors and fleshed out the white on the body.

Does anybody else have/had the same preference? Give me your thoughts.

Old 02-19-2006, 11:37 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i hate the white mirrors - they look goofy to me. You best bet would be to order them in white, and then have them pained body color, or swap them to black.

Easier to swap the mirror caps than to pain the roof!

-jac

Old 02-19-2006, 11:38 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
You could also get the Exterior Chrome pack. That would leave you with a white roof and chrome mirrors if you didn't want the white ones.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:06 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I bought a set of leather mirror gloves. They kind of give it the old time look and feel. I also like that they are easy to put on and take off, change my look on a whim! Oh, and they are $30.00 from Moss MINI.

Annette

Old 02-19-2006, 12:08 PM
danjmcs
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Yep, i ordered with the black roof and chrome package for the same reason... have since bought a set of "CF" looking mirror caps, and a black set of mirror caps, when i found a deal on them. Definitely the easy way to go and to change it up occasionally. I like the leather idea too!

Old 02-19-2006, 12:11 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get the car with the white roof, order the BRG mirrors from the dealer. problem solved.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:16 PM
SB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BoCRon
I bought a set of leather mirror gloves. They kind of give it the old time look and feel. I also like that they are easy to put on and take off, change my look on a whim! Oh, and they are $30.00 from Moss MINI.

Annette
I like those. They would come in perfect during bug season down here in the south.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jollygreenmini
I know this is a somewhat inane issue, but I have a few minutes to kill. When I was choosing my colors, I knew I wanted BRG for the body, then I tried both body color and white roof on MINIUSA, and I decded I liked the white roof, but the mirrors are tied to the roof color and I thought the white mirrors kind of clashed with the body on the bottom half. My perfect combination would have been BRG body and mirror, and white roof. However, since I couldn't get that, I opted for the white bonnet stripes, which matched the mirrors and fleshed out the white on the body.

Does anybody else have/had the same preference? Give me your thoughts.
You're kidding right? The mirror caps are exchangeable. You can get white roof and order a new set of mirror caps in BRG...they're easy to install and very inexpensive ($100 range).

Oops...I didn't see post #6 when I posted my response. It's a no-brainer.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:41 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Heh, those leather covers look kinda kinky

You could buy the chrome, black or body color mirror caps seperately from Mini, or buy the aftermarket ones with the turn signals in them, or, the cheapest option yet (aside from a direct trade with another Mini owner) might be to just cover the mirrors with colored vinyl.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DiD
You could also get the Exterior Chrome pack. That would leave you with a white roof and chrome mirrors if you didn't want the white ones.
That is what I did. The white mirrors didn't bother me too much, but my wife hated them. I liked the chrome grill & it came in the package. Funny thing is that I'd still rather have the mirrors in body color. Guess I'll have to check with the dealer & see if body color is available or if it's a paint them to match deal. Oh & the big one, how much $$$.

Chuck

Old 02-19-2006, 01:25 PM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
you learn something new everyday

I had no idea the mirror color is exchangable, I thought the color was painted on. Or is the color one chooses when ordering (in this case white) IS painted on, but "caps" of various colors can be bought and snapped on? If it is the latter, then I still prefer *painted* body color on the mirrors w/ white roof, which is not an option when building the car on MINIUSA. Actually, with the bonnet stripes, white mirrors are perfectly fine, it's just that if and when the stripes come off for whatever reason, the white mirrors would look "goofy", as someone already said.

And I like the leather thing too. $30 for those sounds better than $100 for body color mirror caps. Does Moss have a website ? Is that the same Moss that sells MG parts ?

Old 02-19-2006, 01:52 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
RealOEM only lists mirror caps in Black, White, Silver, Chrome and primed, so the dealer is probably going to charge for having them painted body color also.

Found some prices on Black, White and Chrome (top to bottom):

Attached Thumbnails I wish I can get white roof w/ body color mirror.-mirror-caps.png  
Old 02-19-2006, 03:53 PM
JRZYMINI
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although I have a PW/B MCS I think that the white roof/mirrors looks good... not goofy at all!!! BRG/W with white bonnet stripes looks good. There's a Mini with that color combo around here that I see occaionally and it looks awesome.

Old 02-19-2006, 03:58 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
I got chrome ones on my car (miscommunication with my MA) and the dealership wanted $300 to make me painted ones! If you have a good paint shop around, you can get new OEM caps in black primer for about $50 and get them painted should save you some $$

Body color caps are the ONLY way to go Let us know what you do!

ps. the leather is DEFINETLY kinky

edit: if you do this before you get the car, you can bring em to the dealership and have em switched out... then sell the white ones on NAM and get some of your $$ back

Old 02-19-2006, 04:25 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I always manage to get a chuckle out of my husband when I "strap" on the leather (so to speak).
The web address for Moss-
http://mossmini.com/

Annette

Old 02-19-2006, 04:58 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Please e-mail my wife - quickly!

Originally Posted by BoCRon
I always manage to get a chuckle out of my husband when I "strap" on the leather (so to speak).
The web address for Moss-
http://mossmini.com/

Annette

Old 02-19-2006, 05:29 PM
muggy
4th Gear
Funny, I just saw the Italian Job (2003) and all the cars in there have white tops and non-white mirrors (red, blue, and black on the PW).

Old 02-20-2006, 03:31 PM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
RealOEM only lists mirror caps in Black, White, Silver, Chrome and primed, so the dealer is probably going to charge for having them painted body color also.

Found some prices on Black, White and Chrome (top to bottom):

Ok, the diagram cleared it up for me. So the mirror color can be readily changed by unscrewing a few screws and maybe a couple nuts and bolts, then swap the cover, which is the only part that has color.

The disadvantage of that is, besides the additional cost of buying a cover of preferred color, I either have to spend more money and time to get an authorized dealer to do the install, or if I do it myself, I risk giving BMW an excuse to void my warranty. (I've been reading a thread on another folder that leads me to believe that is not at all an unlikely scenario).

I'd much prefer the mirror color come the way I wanted to begin with, but for some unknown reason someone decided the mirrors cannot be independently chosen when ordering.

Anyway, all said and done, I'm sticking with what I'd built, since as someone mentioned, BRG/W with bonnet stripes is an awesome combination.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:25 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Warrantee

Don't get pushed around

Changing the mirrors should NOT be an issue with anything else other than the mirrors

Old 02-21-2006, 06:32 AM
docjohnboy
3rd Gear
Another option that I'm surprised no one has mentioned is to get the roof and mirrors in the body color and then get one of the vinyl white-out roof graphics. Probably more expenisve than changing the mirror caps though.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:20 AM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
docjohnboy, so you have silver roof and stripes but white mirrors? Are you planning on getting the silver mirror caps or leave them white? Looking at what you had already spent on options, another $100 for silver caps is probably no biggie.

edit: sorry, I didn't realize silver mirrors comes with silver roof. Question answered. Great choices.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:23 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

... silver roof and stripes but white mirrors?
A silver roor will have silver mirror caps

Old 02-21-2006, 09:25 AM
docjohnboy
3rd Gear
docjohnboy, so you have silver roof and stripes but white mirrors? Are you planning on getting the silver mirror caps or leave them white? Looking at what you had already spent on options, another $100 for silver caps is probably no biggie.

edit: sorry, I didn't realize silver mirrors comes with silver roof. Question answered. Great choices.
Yeah Silver mirrors. I'm thinking of upgrading to chrome caps eventually.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:00 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by docjohnboy
Another option that I'm surprised no one has mentioned is to get the roof and mirrors in the body color and then get one of the vinyl white-out roof graphics. Probably more expenisve than changing the mirror caps though.

I mentioned using vinyl (see above) but on the mirrors

Changing out the mirror caps will not invalidate your warranty, its cosmetic and won't effect anything functional. If you are concerned just stick with OEM covers vs going aftermarket.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:12 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uncle John once had his mirror-cap color changed in vinyl to match a custom roof color. I'd recommend paint as the mirror caps will be right next to the body color and the two need to match perfectly.

If you want BRG mirror caps just get a set of mirror caps and pay the $$$s to have them painted. It shouldn't cost all that much. Just do it if that's your vision of how your MINI should look...that way you can enjoy them for as long as possible.

btw, the caps don't screw on, they snap on. GoMINI had a tuitorial...I'm sure I've seen others. Very DIY, although I think one has to be careful removing the old caps so as to not break a tab.