1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

He's IN, impressions and questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 06:25 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He's IN, impressions and questions...

Keeping the MCS under 4.5k is a totally unreasonable expectation! I managed...

Got to Princeton MINI at 5ish, and the car was still being detailed at the warehouse. 15 min. later he was there on top of a transport truck. I ran up to the truck to take pics...(no daylight left, DOH). The kind gentleman drove my car off the truck and into the showroom for introductions. The car is stunning. I've never seen my combo in person, and holy crap I am pumped up about it.

cr/b with bonnet stripes

I was worried about the 16in. wheels, but they are wonderful. They don't look too small or thin for me at all.

I was also worried that I wouldn't love the Aero Kit enough for the 1,900 I paid for it. I do. It gives the car exactly the look I want. Even some random MA's came up to compliment the combo, guess that's their job, though.

The anthracite headliner is great, too. I'll save all of my comments on that until I can drive with it in the daytime.

The space gray cloth interior was a nice surprise. All of the pictures I've seen make the gray show up as much lighter than it actually is. It goes very nicely with the Antrhacite dash and headliner.

All I have to say about the driving is that this car is exciting under 4.5k, so I can only wish for 1,250 to come soon! I also have these things to say, so I lied, sorry: The ride is firm but not harsh. My lowered '86 325 with bilstien sports was harsh. There are barely audible buzzes and rattles that seemed to go away as the road surface got smoother. The car was a little sluggish for a bit because I turned the AC on by accident. I like a high seating position, so I pumped it up all of the way, but I could no longer see the 4 on the tach, so I pumped it down a pump or two. I found myself NOT looking at the center speedo much. I found myself NOT needing an armrest at all (haven't had one for a long time).

I put my Whalen on after the 50miles, thinking "nahhhhh it can't be that much better..." It is.

Questions:

I drove about 20 miles before I had to stop, and when I did, I noticed an odd smell and minimal smoke coming from the engine. Wasn't enough to really concern me. I then drove 30 more miles, and when I arrived there was no smoke, only a faint smell. Any experiences? Opinions?

Somehow my dome light and welcome lights stopped working. I definitely did not turn them off. They work now. By dome lights I mean the lights that come on when you enter the car or unlock the doors.

What kind of alien screw driver takes the cup-holder off? I'm probably an idiot, but the phillips and flat head I have didn't work at all. Sorta felt like the older hominids who weren't advanced enough for opposable thumbs...poor bastards. (I don't stand behind the scientific correctness of that last statement)

Ok, pics will be up tomorrowish.

mb

Old 01-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbcoops
Questions:

I drove about 20 miles before I had to stop, and when I did, I noticed an odd smell and minimal smoke coming from the engine. Wasn't enough to really concern me. I then drove 30 more miles, and when I arrived there was no smoke, only a faint smell. Any experiences? Opinions?

mb

I can't answer much, but I know this one! It's perfectly normal. It's just the manufacturing and other chemicals and othersuch burning off. It'll probably do that for the first couple hundred miles or so. As long as there's no plumes of smoke, you're fine!

Congrats and enjoy!

-Paul!

Old 01-11-2005, 11:36 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Thanks, Paul.

Had a fun time at work today taking people for rides!

mb

Old 01-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Guysdaman
1st Gear
The type of screw dirver you need is called a Torx...infact there are many bolts that are Torx bolts on the MINI so, you might want to go get your self a set. Congrats on your new baby! I know exactly how you felt...I still feel that way and mine only has 5000 miles on it. Watch out for the upgrade bug it can sneak up on you and bite!

Happy Motoring!
Guy

Old 01-11-2005, 01:37 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats on your new baby, mbcoops! I agree....the burning is probably some of the cosmolene used to protect the MINIs from the elements as they party together on the crossing to their new homes! Not to worry, it will burn off soon enough! And please...post those pix!

Clover

Old 01-11-2005, 02:33 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Congrats on your new baby, mbcoops! I agree....the burning is probably some of the cosmolene used to protect the MINIs from the elements as they party together on the crossing to their new homes! Not to worry, it will burn off soon enough! And please...post those pix!

Clover
This is too funny - I also picked up my CR/B MCS last night, around 8pm Central Time, and I also had the "smoke" from under the bonnet, when I stopped for the obligatory milkshake once I was nearly home from the dealership. My story diverges here, from these posted so far, in that I actually phoned my MA to get the "scoop" on the "smoke" coming from the scoop .

I was in the Baskin Robbin's parking lot, with the clamshell hood up (lights ON of course, and pointing @ the sky), watching the steaming MINI motor, in the rain... NAM calendar material with the wet pavement and the streetlamps...

Anyway, he goes "I didn't expect to hear from you so SOON!" And then he says all's well and the rest is history etc etc happy Tattman.

mbcoops is right, CR/B is very stunning indeed.

1197 miles to go,
Tatt

edit: "cosmolene"? Now how'd she know THAT?! (me impressed). I really was curious if any extra protection of some sort was used, for the long journey from Oxford, through corrosive salt air. I need a bigger brain to remember all the good stuff available here.

Last edited by tattman23; 01-11-2005 at 02:40 PM. Reason: positive feedback
Old 01-12-2005, 10:16 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Howdy,

The pics are up on MINI Talk under Pics: 05 MCS with Aero.

Last night after highway driving in the rain I got the mean steam coming out of the bonnet scoop. It was like VINI was snarling and huffing and puffing wanting more road to eat up. grrrrrrrrrr.

About 1,050 miles to go...(my commute is 1 mile, what a tease)

Cosmolene Kramer?

mb

Old 01-12-2005, 10:22 AM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
The allen wrenches you need are metric {like 5 dollars for a set} good luck