1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Round With British Vehicle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 08:28 AM
trovegno01
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Round With British Vehicle Problem

So I'm new to the site and have a 2015 cooper s with the fuel filler problem clicks off when I try to fill it up. I contacted MINI and was told to bring it to the dealer and have them look at it. I know their is a TSB for the fuel tank replacement so I loaded the car on my trailer and towed it from Daytona Beach to Orlando took it off the trailer and drove it into the service lane. They took it back and I went in and explained the TSB and they found it the told me since my car had over 50,000 miles I would have to pay for it out of pocket. That was a slap in the face with a price tag of between 1500 and 2000. I said tanks but no thanks and they offered me and oil change for my inconvenience. The service advisor said that maybe in the future it might become a recall and then it would be covered. So I was wondering if any body has found a better solution to this problem on their own?
I brought the car home and took a look at the vent line for the gas tank and found the two that run to the intake on the engine and thought if the tank has a vent or valve problem that gets stuck closed what would happen if I opened the gas filler and used air pressure and back feed the lines. The line on the intake in the rear of the engine seemed to flow through just fine but the line to the front of the intake was very slow and I could hear a high pitched noise coming from the filler neck with the cap off. Well you know what that means if a little pressure is starting to make noise increase the pressure. So I put 100 psi through the line and their was a real high pitched squeal and the the line was easy to blow through. I took it to the gas station and it filled up just fine for about a month then it started again. This time knowing it was the front line only and a firm believer in SeaFoam I used a small funnel and filled the line let it sit for about 15 minutes then used the air pressure again and it opened with a snap and has been good for the past 2 months. If it happens again I will let you know. Let me know what you think of the fix and if you see any problems with it.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:45 PM
curlywurly
2nd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Being a 2015 you have a 3rd gen F56 model. Post in the f56 area and you will get more traffic and advise i would suggest.

A quick look i see:
Under the 3rd gen forum is s 'stock problems' sub group. And within that group is a 'service bulletins' sticky. Have a dig there and see if others have fuel filler issues.
When you do find info - post updates. To help others learn from your finding choose useful post headings to help searches down the line.