1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda lover curious about Mini.

Old 12-13-2004, 09:07 PM
KatanaPilot
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by holdenontoit
#1) To everyone who currently has a Mini Cooper S, how reliable has the car been? I mean, have you had ANY problems what-so-ever?

#2) How has the dealership treated you? Was buying the car an enjoyable experience? Has servicing the car been a good experience?

#3) Just out of curiousity, what are some other automobiles you have driven/owned? I just want to know what kind of drivers I'm dealing with here!
1) My Sept 03 built 04 MCS has been very reliable. Yes, I have had problems, but they were all minor. The other car I drive is a Honda CRV. The CRV had 3 safety-critical recalls in the past year. The CRV has been to the dealer a lot more often than the MCS.

2) My dealer is also MINI of Peabody. I live very close to that other dealership, but I choose to drive 45 minutes to get to Peabody. Let me give you a couple of examples of how great they are. I had my Alta intake installed, and the battery terminal wasn't properly installed on the side of the box. A few weeks later, one day I noticed the battery terminal was properly clipped into its holder. I know I didn't put it back on, so the only person who could have done it is the tech at MOP. They fixed the other guy's installation sloppiness without being asked. Another example, just the other day I noticed some felt tape on spots where I knew they did not exist before. This is after a scheduled service at MOP. They fix problems/rattles without me asking them to do it. I have NEVER received this kind of attention from a Honda dealer.

3) We've owned mostly Honda and BMW/MINI products. I avoid BMW products in its first two model year, and I avoid Honda products in its first model year. I had a really bad experience with a 01 Civic. As for BMWs, they seem to take a couple of years to get the bugs out. I waited for a 04 model year car and I am happy with the reliability of my car.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:09 PM
Redline
1st Gear
1) '03 MCS w/20K miles - seat squeaks, no other complaints. 1 recall on cruise control fixed in 30 minutes while I waited (diode install). I have the emissions recalls in hand, but will wait until I have a reason to go to a dealer.

2) Bought at Global in Atlanta, serviced at Century in Greenville SC (closer). Both have been excellent.

3) 1973 Fiat 128, 1978 VW Scirocco, 1969 Datsun 1600 Rdstr, 1979 320i, 1983 911 SC Targa, 1985 Omni GLH Turbo, 1989 Taurus SHO, 1988 M5, and various trucks, Suburbans, and Vans, some 4x4s. Raced 510s (GT-4 and ITC) for 18 years in SCCA.

All in all, MCS gets as much or more attention than any of above. Most common statement is "its cute". I'm definitely a BMW guy - but still have the 911 (bought euro-delivery in 5/83).

Go for it. You can always sell it for nearly what you paid if not satisfied.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:37 AM
Wraith1416
4th Gear
i have an 04' CR/W MCS, straight from the factory. the car has been amazing. the only dealership visits were for a new trim piece (some idiot nudged me the day after i got my car ) and for the voluntary emissions recall and the 10k service.

i bought the car from dave harding at Motor City MINI in Shelby Township, MI. although i felt that i was only being treated as nice as was necessary, dave did a good job answering my questions. the dealership portion receives an B+. the service department is another story. i have had few problems with them, but there are others from the Michigan MINI Club who have had some more serious run ins, including three different visits for an air bag light being on. they seem to keep a low stock pile of parts as well. they are improving tho. i haven't heard any complaints lately and the new service advisor is extremely friendly and knowledgable.

my previous car was a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire, auto, and not much else. i spent about 2 years with the sunfire before i started shopping for something new. i've driven a Mustang GT, Camaro SS/ Trans Am WS6, Acura RSX Type-S, BMW Z3, Subaru WRX, STi, Porsche Boxter, SVT Focus, Lexus IS 300, Toyota Celica GT-S, Scion tC, Mercedes C230 Sport Coupe, VW GTI, E46 3 series, Audi A4 and TT, Monte Carlo SS, Chevy Cavalier Z24, Chrysler Crossfire, and a Honda S2000. those were all in the search for the MINI. i said the car that i had the most fun driving would be the one i would get, and the MINI won hands down. you will not be disappointed!

Old 12-14-2004, 11:07 PM
Hyper Blue
2nd Gear
I "hondalover" think I found my MCS...

...it's a 2004 Indi Blue Mini Cooper S with 7,500 miles. I found it at Carmax. It's priced at $20,998. It doesn't have a sunroof...no leather...no Harmon Kardon system...no Navigation. What it does have is Xenon headlights, fog lights, a multi-function steering wheel, and Pirelli tires. What do you guys think? Is it a good buy, or should I spend a little extra to get a 2005 MCS? I've heard the quality is vastly improved over the 2002 to 2004 models.

--- Hyper Blue "hondalover"

Old 12-15-2004, 04:55 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hyper Blue
...it's a 2004 Indi Blue Mini Cooper S with 7,500 miles. I found it at Carmax. It's priced at $20,998. It doesn't have a sunroof...no leather...no Harmon Kardon system...no Navigation. What it does have is Xenon headlights, fog lights, a multi-function steering wheel, and Pirelli tires. What do you guys think? Is it a good buy, or should I spend a little extra to get a 2005 MCS? I've heard the quality is vastly improved over the 2002 to 2004 models.

--- Hyper Blue "hondalover"
For that much money, I just can't understand buying a used car when you can get a new one for just a bit more. Also, you can typically get better financing with a new car. With the options you have listed, you can get a new MCS for about $1000 more. Also, if you are into auto-x or anything like that, you can also get the LSD that is being offered starting in January. Then again, if you really like the Indi blue, you can't get it anymore. So, you need to look at your situation and decide what is best for you. I know its hard to wait if you order as I have been waiting since July (wanting LSD) and its about to drive me crazy, but as they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder :smile:

Old 12-15-2004, 08:47 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've owned Honda/Acura products for the past 15 years. I drive between 45,000 and 60,000 miles a year. I have also set-up a number of my past cars for track use. I love the Mini's feel and the JCW (mine is an 05) is a scream...probably a tick faster than the 210hp RSX type-S. The JCW produces more torque, and, the same hp at fewer revs.

My car is a company car. I looked at the Evo and the RX8, as was suggested above. I finally settled on the JCW Mini; unique if quirky styling, great handling and braking, reasonably quick for a commuter car, and, far better gas milage than the other two choices. Since my company also pays for gas I could not ask them to up my gas budget by 3-4K each year. I also live in the Northeast making the RX8 a rather unlikely companion during a snow storm.

My last car, a highly modified (mostly suspension) 99 Civic Si was a great handling car. But the Civic's steering cannot even compete the Mini's. Out of the box, the Mini is surprisingly good, far better than the Si was in factory trim.

There are rattles in the Mini, the kind that I still do not hear in the Civic. That car has hard rubber bushings, some poly, 400lb springs and Koni SST dampers. This is a trim issue, though, and the Mini's body feels much stronger than the Civic's. ...just turn up the Harmon-Kardon...

Honda/Acura cars are very hard to beat especially for commuter types; we worry about fuel and carefree driving. On these points Honda/Acura deliver hands down. The Mini may lack some accoustical trim sophistication, but it more than makes up for it with personality. It's a very solid performance car too.

I'm crawling up on 10,000 miles without any problems, none. I sometimes drive the Mini like I hate it too. The Hondas and Acuras have all taken me to near 200k with normal service. I'll report back in three years. So far, the choice was a no-brainer.

If I were purhcasing the car as a weekend car, the Evo would be in my garage, truth be known. I think also, our accountant suggested this question, "Does Michael really need a near 300 hp car to drive to and from work?" That question killed the Evo as an option. And, since I don't own the company, I could not over-ride that concern with anything but emotion. Numbers, numbers, numbers. Average MPG to date is 27.8; some warm-ups in the driveway along with some mean city/highway duty split 50/50. Acceptable.

Only real issue, and one that dissappears after sitting behind the wheel, is the lack of ample storage space. I knew this going in.

Pure Silver 05 JCW, Harmon-Kardon, Xenon lights, Fog lights, Cold weather package, Chrono package, 17" Anthracite BBS RG-R with Kumho tires. $32,340 out the door. Cool!