1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda lover curious about Mini.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Hyper Blue
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda lover curious about Mini.

I have been driving Hondas for as long as I've been legally able to drive. I've had four Hondas including my current ride, a 2003 RSX Type S. I stick with Honda because they've been incredibly reliable and fun to drive. However, lately I've become bored with Honda.

So, out of curiousity, I went and test-drove a Cooper S with the John Cooper Works package...and I was blown away! I've never had so much fun driving a car in my life! Obviously, I want one. I do have a couple of concerns that I hope your members can address:

#1) To everyone who currently has a Mini Cooper S, how reliable has the car been? I mean, have you had ANY problems what-so-ever?

#2) How has the dealership treated you? Was buying the car an enjoyable experience? Has servicing the car been a good experience?

#3) Just out of curiousity, what are some other automobiles you have driven/owned? I just want to know what kind of drivers I'm dealing with here!

Thanks a lot guys, and I appreciate whatever responses I receive. After all, this IS only my first post!

Old 12-07-2004, 11:24 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome, Hyper Blue!

I don't have the John Cooper Works on my 2003 MCS, but I'm sure that others who do, will weigh in. Be sure to read all the forums and make use of the Search function. Keep us posted about your new MINI!

Clover

Old 12-07-2004, 11:44 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Odd rattles and squeaks mostly. I have had no major reliability issues as far as drivetrain and major operational components are concerned. I think you'll find that is common in most MINI Cooper S owners.

Old 12-08-2004, 12:35 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by Hyper Blue
#1) To everyone who currently has a Mini Cooper S, how reliable has the car been? I mean, have you had ANY problems what-so-ever?

#2) How has the dealership treated you? Was buying the car an enjoyable experience? Has servicing the car been a good experience?

#3) Just out of curiousity, what are some other automobiles you have driven/owned? I just want to know what kind of drivers I'm dealing with here!
#1) After 2 New Minis and ~40k miles, mainly minor rattles. One critical wiring failure that led to over heating and a tow to the dealer.

#2) Service experience has been "satisfactory" at the two dealerships I've used. Haven't been blown away, but haven't been exasperated either.

#3) 74 BMW 2002tii, 74 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40, 76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ55, 70 BMW 2800cs, 69 Alfa Romeo GTV

Old 12-08-2004, 02:55 AM
nukefission
1st Gear
I have an '03 MCS with 17k miles. So far the only reasons I've been to the dealer are for oil changes and ECU software update to v38. Issues like cold starting troubles and the "yo-yo" (car jerking back and forth under part throttle) were pretty much resolved with the software update on my car. YMMV. Also I've found that those driveability issues can be learned-out as you get used to driving the car.

No complaints about the dealer so far. The factory oil change interval is 10 or 15k miles (if memory serves) which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I change the oil every 3k-5k miles in between trips to the dealer for the free oil changes.

My other cars are/have been VWs and DSMs (Mitsubishi Eclipse/Eagle Talon). The MINI definitely is not the fastest thing I've driven, but you can't beat the handling. I love it.

Old 12-08-2004, 04:56 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
I haven't had my mini serviced yet, but overall I'd say the Mini dealer has treated me better than any Honda dealer I've ever been to.

So far, my Mini has been flawless, but it's only got about 8k miles on it - mostly driving to and from about 25 autocrosses and 2 track days this summer.

In the past, I've had all sorts of cars, but my last 6 cars before the Mini were all Hondas: 2 Civics (still own a 2000 EX Sedan which is our daily driver), 2 CRX's, a Prelude and an Integra.

Financially, it probably isn't a good idea to sell a car that you've only had for a year or so to buy a new one (frankly, it's normally a stupid idea - *financially*). But sometimes financial aspects of a purchase shouldn't be your first priority. That's your call.

edit - Oh, and for the advice that probably no one else on this board will give: For the price of a Cooper S with the JCW package, you can get what I would consider a more desireable car. You're right in Lancer Evolution price territory (the new stripped down, light weight one - the MR or RS or something), or a Mazda RX8, a used M3, a little bit more and you could get a WRX STi or a Pontiac GTO. Heck for $30k you might be able to score a used Corvette Z06 - 400HP and 3100lbs my friend. You could easily get a used S2000 for $25k. A new Mustang GT makes 300HP and costs $25k. None of these cars would have the charm of a Mini, but they are faster than a JCW will ever be. And frankly, who needs charm when you could have a Corvette Z06 That car probaby makes more torque idling than an MCS does at it's peak.

Old 12-08-2004, 07:07 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm picking up my MCS any day now. My first one, so I can't address all your questions, but in the past I've had 2 '86 CRXs (one standard one Si), an '88 Prelude Si, an '81 Landcruiser FJ60, and I currently have a '95 Dodge Ram and an '88 Mazda 323 GTX.

Old 12-08-2004, 07:27 AM
codemunkee
2nd Gear
i was in a similar position except i had always gone with toyotas. i test drove the MCS and was thrilled, put down my deposit on the spot. after owning it for 2 years it had a lot of rattles and i was starting to get tired of it so i went back to my roots and bought another toyota (a lexus). now that ive been w/o a MINI for about 6 months i wish i had kept it.

imho, the MINI will never be able to match the quality or reliability of a honda or toyota, but on the other hand i think it would be hard for honda or toyota to match the performance bang-for-the-buck of a MINI. if it's financially possible, keep one of both. :-) im thinking of getting the new honda "fit" thats supposed to come here soon, along with a MINI. we'll see, so many cool cars to pick from these days! i also agree with satay-ayam, shop around. that amount of money can buy you other fun cars. the s2000 being a perfect example.

Old 12-08-2004, 07:48 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks a lot guys, and I appreciate whatever responses I receive. After all, this IS only my first post!
1-Never had any mechanical problems even though I started modifying it the second she came home. My main complaint goes to Mini engineering for not getting the ECU programing right Read "poor milage" threads.
2-They're ok. I try and avoid going anywhere some monkey will be driving my Mini.
3-ready?
Driven H2 Hummer, SRX, C5 C6 Vette, Ferrari 308, Ferrari Testarossa, Lotus Turbo Esprit, Porche 911 Carrera 4, BMW M-3,5,6, Renault R5 Turbo, a bunch that I can't recall right now.
Owned three Triumph GT-6 one D-production race car, Renault LeCar, Honda Hurricane, 3 Mustang GTs, 3 F-350 turbo diesels, Tony Kart 125 shifter (does that count ) and my last favorite project...86 CRX Mugen-Cartech Turbo

Old 12-08-2004, 07:50 AM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
Originally Posted by satay-ayam
Oh, and for the advice that probably no one else on this board will give: For the price of a Cooper S with the JCW package, you can get what I would consider a more desireable car. You're right in Lancer Evolution price territory (the new stripped down, light weight one - the MR or RS or something), or a Mazda RX8, a used M3, a little bit more and you could get a WRX STi or a Pontiac GTO. Heck for $30k you might be able to score a used Corvette Z06 - 400HP and 3100lbs my friend. You could easily get a used S2000 for $25k. A new Mustang GT makes 300HP and costs $25k. None of these cars would have the charm of a Mini, but they are faster than a JCW will ever be. And frankly, who needs charm when you could have a Corvette Z06 That car probaby makes more torque idling than an MCS does at it's peak.
I TOTALLY agree. I would kill for an RX-8 or pretty much any other car you listed, except a corvette. I would never get one, dont ask why, its just a thing about me. Im not much for american muscle, but i can respect it and anybody who owns one. Anyway, the price of a MINI with JCW is too much. Figure a base S is now 20,000, JCW will run you 6000 installed, plus tax and stuff, youre up to about 28K. Thats just base. You can get an MC40 for less than that. And i would in a second.

My S has been reliable, but im peaking 7K miles right now, so its too early to really tell. Its my first car, so in a way its bad cause any other car i but will be a dissapointment. That is, until the day when i get myself a Ferrari. I got a while though, so this cars gotta last me a while.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:20 AM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Hi HyperBlue -

Well, I can certainly relate to your situation. Before I bought Winston (2003 MCS/British racing Green w/white roof, mirrors) I drove a 1994 Acura Intergra LS, manual 5-speed. It was a GREAT car. I owned it for 10 years and it had 274,000 miles on it when I donated to a non-profit/animal rights organization.

I've had my MCS for 16 months now and have have no problems whatsoever. Not even a rattle or a squeek (touch-wood!!) :smile: My Acura developed a loud "screeeeech" from the hatchback whenever I drove over a bad bump or the outside air temperature dropped below 40 degress. They never did fix it, and the car started doing it 3 days after I drove it off the lot...

Anyway, the MCS continues to be a joy to drive everytime I get in it. I actually look forward to the drive to and from work as 'best' parts of the day. I have to say that I've been very impressed with the level of fit-n-finish as well as quality of design that was put into the car. Additionally, the number and type of options available for the car is impressive - and not usually found in this segment of the car market - auto climate control, cold weather package, Nav system for example...and now you can even order one with a limited slip differencial!

My dealership experience on the whole was fine - even though I must say that the MAs ("Motoring Associates" as they're called) were generally on the "vapid" side. I mean, they don't really have to work very hard to sell the cars. They kinda sell themselves, so that tends to lead to salespeople with a somewhat "Hey, you should feel priviledged to be speaking with me-type" attitude IMHO. Anyway, if you can deal with the 'terminal hipness', then hey, it wasn't so bad. On the service side though, my experience has been hit-and-miss. I think it's just my particular dealership though, since most people report having very a good service experince. My dealer's guys just don't get the customer service thang. The techs seem generally grumpy and don't seem to enthusiastic about working on MINIs. And fogetaboutit if you've put anything 'aftermarket' on your car. You get a frown and a finger wagged at you.

Customization continues to be an important part of the ownership experience and if you're like me you'll be thrilled to know that there's a huge aftermarket for the MINI. Everything from custom roof graphics to tinted signal lights to engine hop-ups. Since you mentioned you drove a MCS with the works in it, I assume you're into the HP thing. Me too. I don't have the works kit, but I put in a K&N Typoon CAI, and a 17% reduction pulley with Cat back exhaust is coming in the spring. I'd love to get a works kit, but at the price they're currently selling for, my wife would KILL me.

Other vehicles I test drove were the Honda Civis si (nice car, but the MINI was funner), the Nissan 350Z (FAST car, but the MINI is 'quicker'), the VW GTI V6 (another fast car, but I hated the gear box - waaaay to sloppy for me). Also of note, is the fact that I drove the MCS last, and right after having come from the Nissan dealer so the 350Z was fresh in my memory. The MCS was just more fun, and actually offered a greater level of versatility. Afterall, the 350Z is rear-wheel drive (scary thought, if you have a long commute in fequent snow-driven roads like I do) and you have very little space to store stuff. With the back seats folder down, you can fit a helluva lot in the back of the MINI. My wife and I went motoring in Canada over thanksgiving for a week and the MINI was a great touring car for 2 people. We had plenty of room for bags, food and stuff we bought along the way.

Anyway - to wrap it up:

1.) don't worry about the quality. It's there (as is the re-sale value!)
2.) reliability is rock-solid.
3.) fun-factor can't be beat!!!
4.) kids stop playing in front yards and, like, wave at you as you drive by!!
5.) tons of stuff you can do to "make it yours" - even after you've picked out all your factory options and ordered a 'custom' from the plant

So? - what do you think?!

Have fun - and enjoy your new MINI!!!

- - Michael

Old 12-08-2004, 08:54 AM
nocivic
2nd Gear
Well I'm in love with my 04 MCS! So far upgrades consist of H&R coil overs, 18" Konig wheels, SKUNK2 exhaust, K&N intake, ALTA 15% reduction pulley, full body kit, and full custom sound system. Car is very ,very fun to drive.

I have never had anything but Hondas, and sold my Supercharged 99 Civic SI to get the MINI. Glad I did!!!!!! so far all is well

Old 12-08-2004, 08:59 AM
C4
Banned
I currently own 2 MINIs: 2002 Cooper CVT and 2004 MCS. I also used to be a Honda/Acura fan and drove nothing but Hondas/Acuras for 12 years straight. I too became bored with Honda and they completely lost me with thier lifeless toaster appliances. It got to a point that I wanted more out of a car and discovered MINI. Have never looked back!

My 14 month old '04 Cooper S with nearly 16K miles has been absolutely troublefree and ZERO, absolutely ZERO warranty repairs to date!. car is solid and tight as a drum and a blast to drive.

My wife drives a 28 month old 2002 Cooper CVT with 26K miles. The car has been virtually troublefree and still looks showroom fresh! Awesome car.

Honda caters to people that hates cars! That's my conclusion! Their designs of late are total yawners and thier refusal to bring overhere R-Type versions of the Civic and Accord is simply mind boggling .

The current Civic Si hatchback is quite possible one of the worst and most boring Si models in 15 years. Do you remember the fantastic 1988 Civic Si hatchback or the CRX Si hatchback of the same era? Those cars had more resemblance to the current MINI.

Honda doesn't sell anything like that anymore in the US. Also the Prelude is dead. Now they are becoming like GM or Ford... Another SUV/Truck company.

Old 12-08-2004, 09:17 AM
OntMini
2nd Gear
Same issue here...just traded an Acura for an 04 MC. After test driving one I fell in love with the fun factor! I have driven civic hatches and a toyata celica in the past and overall this car blows those away. I agree with an earlier post...getting to work and back is something I look forward to now.

Mine has 15K so I have no business talking to reliablity but fit and finish seems great and my dealer experience was better than any other...

The car is a head-turner and I have never had more requests for test drives in my life...go for it you will not regret.

Old 12-08-2004, 09:27 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
49,000 miles now on our July 2002 build MCS. No problems at all.

Do get some noises from the sunroof area when driving on bunpy roads, but nothing major. We'll be getting another 02-04 MCS when Brutus is paid off. motor motor

previous cars/ships owned.... 79 Ford Monarch , 81 Cutlass Supreme,
78 Coupe De Ville, 70 Fleetwood (THE ship), 86 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z,
72 El Camino, 78 Chevette & 93 Geo Metro

Old 12-08-2004, 09:47 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
july 2002 MCS with 42000 + miles:to your questions-

#1) 6 windshields(#6 is broken ,but I absolutely refuse to fix it) all replaced under warrentee,but I'm out about a grand in rental costs and missed work.Had the cold start and stumble,both seem to have been fixed with V.38 flash.one incident where the car had to be towed back to the dealer cause it was jammed in first gear.N/C.I hope you love to wash your car, cause this one dirties it's *** end ALOT!!! Same with brake dust and wheels.

#2) Gary at Mini of Peabody has been a real breath of fresh air .Can't really say enough about him or the people he has working for him.Great bunch of dedicated miniacs.

#3)last 4 cars were Hondas (civics).very reliable but boring.I've had a bunch of wierd cars over my 40 odd years of driving: Vespa 400, Morris Minor traveller,68 mini cooper s, to name a few.I think I'll probably own my present car for a long time.I might consider a woody if they ever produce it and convert this car to full blown race car.
hope that helps. Jock

Old 12-08-2004, 10:02 AM
dkstone
4th Gear
69K miles on a 12/20/02 build MCS took delivery in 1/31/03 upgraded to JCW @ 18K miles then upgraded to JCW 210 @ 67K miles.

No major issues some dashboard rattles HK audio system a little boomy at times, 14 Track days at VIR, Summit, Limerock, Watkins Glenn, and Pocono, still enjoying the ride.

Owned and driven 1975 & 1976 Cosworth Vega, still have 76 cosworth, a bunch of other GM cars, 2002 Lincoln LS, 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee, a 2004 Acura MDX and a 1998 CBR1000.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:41 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

#1) I will have had mine for two years at the end of the month, I just turned 56000 miles yesterday, and I have been to the dealer only twice. Both for scheduled maintance. As far as reliability, this car has been more reliable than any honda or toyota that I have owned in the past. So 56000 miles three oil changes (lets not start that debate ) set of tires, and a bolt replaced because of recall (done at scheduled service). Not too bad , Oh and I drive 130+ miles a day.

#2) I bought from MINI of Muray in Utah, best car buying experience I have ever had, hands down. Serviced at the Dealer in vegas, not problems with them either.

#3) Other cars..... Current 03 MCS, 04 4X4 tacoma, 2001 F350 4x4dually.
Past: 97 civic, 97 GMC 1500 Z71, 89 Toyota SR5 (slammed), 94 4Runner, Some year rabbit Conv, 82 S15 (slammed) and a few motorcycles.

Get one, you wont go back to Hondas

Nik

Old 12-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Hyper Blue
2nd Gear
Thank you to everyone!

I want to send a big THANK YOU to everyone who responded. I feel like I'm part of the family already, and I haven't even bought my MINI yet. Unfortunately, at my age, 26, I can only afford to have one car. A used Honda S2000 would be fun, but there's no cargo room. So, for me, it's really down to two cars...a 2005 Acura RSX Type S or a 2005 MCS.

(when I buy the MINI, I'll post pictures)

Anyway, thanks again.

))))))Hyper Blue((((((

Old 12-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MCS is the most fun for your $$$. As others have mentioned you can look at the EVO or WRX although they have the performance they don't have the character of a MINI. Not to say the MCS is a slouch......it can move.....the speed can sneak up on you.

As for reilability I haven't had any major issues other than the usual rattles. This is my 2nd MCS, I sold my 03 for more than I paid I now drive an 05 with the JCW Cold Air Intake and LOVE IT!! The exhaust sounds SWEET especially on the overun. Future mods 15% pully and JCW Brake kit. The overall build quality is sooo much better than my 03.

Previous cars:
1983 GTi
1991 Civic Si
1999 Jetta BORING
2003 MCS
2005 MCS

Old 12-10-2004, 09:22 AM
SilverSkater
Neutral
#1) I've only had my MINI a month, so I can't help you much there--It has been fine during that month! I am also wondering about the dealerships. I need to look around and see if there are any forums here specifically about the dealerships.

#3) I have driven a Pinto (forgot the year!), a 1971 4 cyl Ford Capri, a 1972 V-6 Ford Capri, a 1981 4 cyl Mustang (dog of a car), a 1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo, a VW Jetta and a VW 6 cyl Passat (and various other family cars like the Explorer).

Last edited by SilverSkater; 12-10-2004 at 10:28 AM. Reason: forgot to cut original questions
Old 12-11-2004, 07:28 PM
TonyS
1st Gear
I got rid of my 2004 Civic EX Coupe to get the Mini that I recently purchased this past week....I have no regrets...I've owned quite a few Hondas in the past as well...yes they're reliable, and yes, they last forever...but the Mini is so much damn fun...and backed by a solid reputation as well...good luck on your decision, and it's really up to what you want....

Tony.

Old 12-11-2004, 08:05 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
1. My 05 MCS has been wonderful other than needing new wipers and a small wheel shake (out of balance tires).

2. Not sure about the dealership for service as I have not had the full pleasure yet. The purchase experience was by far the best time I have had in a dealership!

3. Other cars... oh this list will be long and in order: 87 Honda CRX si, 94 1/2 Ford Mustang, 94 Mazda 626 V6 EX, 96 Mazda MX-6, 87 Honda CRX si, 96 Jeep Cherokee, 94 Dodge DAkota SLT CLub Cab, 02 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee (still own, the wife drives), 03 Mazda Protege 5..... and of course the new love of my life 05 MINI COOPER S!!!

You will not regret changing from a Honda to a MINI....

Old 12-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Hokie-Mini-S
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=Hyper Blue]

#3) Just out of curiousity, what are some other automobiles you have driven/owned? QUOTE]

Well - to start off... I am quite new to the forum. I have had my 04 for about 7 months.

1) I was quite worried about the reliablity factor. According to Consumer Reports, the Minis are not reliable at all. On most purchases I try to listen to them but not on this one. I have not had any reliabilty problems that were major. I did have a minor problem with the auto climate control system not working twice over a 2 or 3 month period and I would have to just restart the car or "reboot" it! This was swapped out for a new part at the 12k service under warrenty with no problem.

2) Dealerships have been ok compared to Audi, Lexus and Honda services I have delt with.
Vista Mini in Ft Laurderdale was fine but they did charge me for an extra tire rotation when they were doing an inspection. I wanted them to do a regular inspection before I bought the Mini used with 6k miles on it. I asked them to just replace the wheels onto the rotated position while they were at it and looking at the brakes and asked the service advisor if there would be a charge for it. He said "no" but there was an extra $60 or so when the car was ready.
Brahman in west palm was ok for service. Took them a little longer to finish the service but they gave me a loaner for a few days.
Hendrick in Charlotte was great. I had a screw in sidwall of Dunlop runflat. They had one in stock an replaced it in about 2 hours while I waited. $304 which was not cheap but was a little better than some of the tire centers around. Also they washed and vacumed car for me.

3) Other cars I have had.
Current cars: 04 MCS w/Nav, 04 Lexus RX330 w/Nav, 98 Audi A4 Quattro Manual Tran, 94 Del Sol Si Manual tran (fiancee's car and we need to sell soon)
My past cars, 01 Audi TT 225 quattro w/Nav (fun and I do miss quite a bit - nav is worlds better in the Mini and still better in the Lexus), 85 MB 380SL (old cruiser not that fun to drive but cool with convertible top), 88 Mazda 626 sedan, 85 izuzu impusle, 80 VW rabbit (moved engine over), 81 VW rabbit desiel (totaled)

Old 12-13-2004, 06:01 AM
haskindmh
2nd Gear
I have a 2004 MC with CVT. The car now has 22,000 miles on it. So far, I have had no mechanical problems at all. I took it into the dealer for it's first service, and asked them to check a rattling speaker. They replaced the speaker, but I still had a rattle. I later found that the door panel itself was rattling. I put some insulation between the plastic door trim and the door itself, and this problem was cured. I will be returning to the dealer this wekend to have a recall performed for the emissions system. I have also asked them to check a slight rattle in the speedometer area. Other than that, there have been absolutley no problems with this car. That said, if you want absolute reliability, you may want to stick with the Honda. If you want a car that is fun to drive and has some personality, then you can't go wrong with a MINI. In my opinion, life is too short to drive a boring car. But that is just my opinion, others put reliability above all else. That is why there are so many different cars on the market, so everbody can have something different.

Quick Reply: Honda lover curious about Mini.