1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner from SoCal - Excited and Anxious

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 02:34 PM
Zachary Nguyen
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New Owner from SoCal - Excited and Anxious

Hi guys, I’m Zach, I’m a new owner of a 2011 R56S in white silver. I’ve never been a car guy or a handy guy at all. The most I’ve done along those lines is building a computer which is nothing. I’ve been looking a lot through these forums and learning what I can. All the engine parts are still super confusing. Even basic detailing is pretty complicated. I’m excited to learn about everything though and slowly make the car more customized to my tastes as I go.

So my anxiety comes in the form that I’m a poor college student. I’m here in SD for few years at least for school. I’m originally from southern Orange County and still go back often. This car was impulse bought by my dad for me after my old civic kind of went belly up. I think I took decent care of it and it was just old. This MCS has 110k miles which has me a little concerned. I don’t know any of the service history or anything about if the HPFP was changed or any of that stuff and neither does my dad. Car had been driving great for the last week I’ve had it though. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to go about checking the state of the car for a total noob? All I know currently is to check the fluids often. Any great value and honest mechanics you guys recommend in the SD and/or OC area?

I’m pretty lost about where to start but having fun anyway. Just hoping my car is reliable and continues to be and maybe I can do some upgrades here and there. Looking forward to learning a lot and getting more comfortable with tinkering and all that!

Old 02-26-2019, 03:56 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. As with most cars, routine preventative maintenance is key. If you can swing it, I realize a pre-purchase inspection is out, lol, but it’s not a bad idea to have it looked over by a good technician to find any issues.
Otherwise enjoy it! If something is wrong it will let you know. Either with a check engine light or rough idle or whatever.
You hit it with the timing chain and HPFP, those are a couple of the known problem areas. Fortunately MINIUSA has extended the warranty on some of these parts. Go to the MINIUSA website and you can enter your VIN and check to see if there are any recalls and what warranty extensions you are covered for.
Dont go by the recommendation for oil change interval! This is one of the reasons there was an issue with the turbo. Change your oil every 5K religiously with a good full synthetic oil.
And if you plan on learning to work on it yourself to save money (labor on these is terrible) get yourself a good scan tool to read and reset codes and other diagnostics. The Schwaben scan tool from ECS Tuning is fantastic. It may seem a little steep upfront, but will pay for itself several times over. Places like auto zone cannot read all of the codes on these cars due to proprietary software from BMW.
Oh yeah, use premium fuel too!
Most important is to personalize it and make it yours, then enjoy the heck out of driving it! That’s where they make you grin!

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (02-27-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 07:03 PM
Zachary Nguyen
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Is the below the correct link for the scan tool and all I would need? No outside software or computer adapter or anything? I'm already seeing that owning a Mini is going to be a fun and amazing but potentially dangerous sinkhole of time and money haha.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/

Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
^^ yes, thats it. Nothing else needed on the software side or hardware,

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-27-2019, 06:06 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
Welcome and congratulations. As with most cars, routine preventative maintenance is key. If you can swing it, I realize a pre-purchase inspection is out, lol, but it’s not a bad idea to have it looked over by a good technician to find any issues.
Otherwise enjoy it! If something is wrong it will let you know. Either with a check engine light or rough idle or whatever.
You hit it with the timing chain and HPFP, those are a couple of the known problem areas. Fortunately MINIUSA has extended the warranty on some of these parts. Go to the MINIUSA website and you can enter your VIN and check to see if there are any recalls and what warranty extensions you are covered for.
Dont go by the recommendation for oil change interval! This is one of the reasons there was an issue with the turbo. Change your oil every 5K religiously with a good full synthetic oil.
And if you plan on learning to work on it yourself to save money (labor on these is terrible) get yourself a good scan tool to read and reset codes and other diagnostics. The Schwaben scan tool from ECS Tuning is fantastic. It may seem a little steep upfront, but will pay for itself several times over. Places like auto zone cannot read all of the codes on these cars due to proprietary software from BMW.
Oh yeah, use premium fuel too!
Most important is to personalize it and make it yours, then enjoy the heck out of driving it! That’s where they make you grin!
Zach,
First off, beautiful color!
The paint responses well to gentle cleaning, a light clear coat polish and some detail spray. Our ‘04 still sparkles.

As for issue, your 2011 is a good choice. It is important to know that has the N18 engine. This is a good thing. These tend to be issue free, except for normal wear and tear. Hopefully yours was well maintained and continuing to do so should bring you a lot of enjoyment. These cars respond really well to a bit of TLC and they really like to be named...

+1 on what MrGrumpy said, especially the oil change and the gas (91 or 93 octane, min). Keep the oil level close to full. It is best that it stays above the min level. You may find the dip stick a little hard to read, Craven Speed has a replacement if reading it is an issue for you. I would suggest you learn to change the oil and filter. For the street any of the name brand (Castrol, Mobil, etc) full synthetic oil will be fine. The filter is a PIA to change, but it is not to bad once you know what you need to do. Doggie pee pads are great for putting under the car to catch oil drips when you do this. When you get to doing an oil change, this forum can help you with that.

At 115k miles the spark plugs are shot. And, check the air filter. MINI says the transmision oil is “life time” and doesn’t need to be changed, but it should be changed at some point. Not a rush on that one, but with 115k on the clock it should go on your list of things to do. Oh, also, MINI had a recall on the auxiliary water pump that cools the turbo bearings. It is import that this has been done (I believe your car should be covered by this, mine was).

Find a good indie shop to help with things you don’t feel comfortable doing yourself. I have seen people reach out for shop suggestions on this forum.

Most of all, HAVE FUN WITH IT!
Motor On.
​​​​​ ​​

Old 03-04-2019, 08:47 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM!
Congrats on your acquisition!
The forums here are a great place to learn about your ride. Learn what you can and you will be able to keep it running for a very long time!