1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clubman vs Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 06:45 AM
another_mini_owner
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clubman vs Cooper

I was at a dealership last weekend and I don't know why, but I decided to sit in a clubman. I don't know why I did, because I've never considered a clubman, or countryman, or any other type of MINI before - they just don't look like MINI coopers to me. So I was really surprised that I liked the Clubman so much: the seats were nicer - they have something that seems to extend the seating area to support your thighs a bit - and there was more legroom, and the boot cargo area was also bigger. But it's made me wonder "gee, is this getting too big?" One of the things I really like about the MINI is the small size: the Clubman is 10 inches longer than the four door Cooper. It seems to me like you could just keep extending the size: Oh, this other brand is just a couple inches bigger than the clubman; it's a slippery slope, and before you know it you are driving a huge behemoth. You know, the slippery slope argument.

So my question for people who have driven or owned both is: how do you feel about the clubman? Does it still look and feel like a MINI cooper to you? Has anyone purchased the Clubman and regretted not getting the "regular" MINI?

By the way, the countryman just didn't feel like a mini to me; it felt like an SUV. A small SUV, but still an SUV. But inside the Clubman, it did still feel like a MINI to me. But I'm hesitant about a) the bigger size - will it seem to big, not be as easy to park, etc., and b) does it really look and feel like a MINI?

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:12 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
I like a smaller lighter car with decent power,
great handling, nonrunflats and a compact spare.
I chose a Clubman (R55 since they’re so much
lighter than the F55) mainly because it has a
well in the bottom of the boot that can fit a
compact spare even with an S or JCW model.
Can’t do that with an R56 S or JCW.
Not sure if the same is true for the 3rd gen MINIs.

The following users liked this post:
another_mini_owner (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 07:19 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
I like the Clubman for the utility, and relatively small size. I like the Cooper hatchback for the lightweight and responsiveness. Decide what your needs and wants are, then find the car that fits.

another_mini_owner (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 07:23 AM
another_mini_owner
1st Gear
<moved>

Last edited by another_mini_owner; 02-26-2019 at 07:24 AM. Reason: meant to respond to specific post
Old 02-26-2019, 07:25 AM
another_mini_owner
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cristo
Did you have to buy new tires then? Did it make a big difference? I used to have an R56 with runflats and I never liked them.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:50 AM
Mineeee
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
As njaremka indicates, weight is the thing.

Original non BMW mini (granted, not much cop in a crash) ~1500lb.
BMW Mini Cooper S, ~2600lbs, The weight surprisingly didnt change much over 3 generations
Clubman, >3100lbs, thats 500lbs or ~20% more weight than a Cooper
Countryman All4 3629!!!lbs (nothing "mini" about that, it weighs more than a Rav4!)

Old 02-26-2019, 09:32 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I am all about the gen 1 Mini Cooper S models. they are small, they drive raw, like the go-kart they are known for and every time I drive it (daily), I get a smile on my face!
I can not get past this type of fun, so I have no interest in the bloated models, including the Clubman.
I do understand why some need a bigger Mini, but I am not one of them. Nothing beats the feel on a gen 1 MCS in the twisties!
Hi and welcome to NAM, another mini owner!
Keep us posted on what you do and show us some pics, whatever you get!

AnubisBC (03-08-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 10:28 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by cristo
Originally Posted by another_mini_owner
Did you have to buy new tires then? Did it make a big difference? I used to have an R56 with runflats and I never liked them.
I bought a 2009 JCW Clubman with only 28K miles
last May that had 6 year old all seasons on it.
I changed these to winter tires on the oem rims
and bought some Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
summer tires on Enkei PF01 rims for the other
seasons.
It made a big difference in both cases.
I also bought the screw and clamp and tool tray
and reused the compact spare from my old R50
and also keep a pump and Dynaplug kit in
the car. I also got a 15mm spacer and longer lug
bolts so the compact spare clears the rear JCW
brake calipers.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:18 AM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
All of the UKL2 vehicles have the same 105.1" wheelbase and use the same basic underpinnings. The Clubman is only 1.5" shorter than the Countryman, the differences between the two you feel is the center of gravity because the F60 is almost 5" taller than the F54 and the 184 extra pounds (Cooper S ALL4 6MT weight difference between F54 and F60) that comes along with it. If that difference was enough for you to say the the Countryman didn't even feel like a Mini, than the extra 340 lbs (Cooper S 6MT F54 and F55 weight difference) and the 4" longer wheelbase is going to make just as big a difference in the feel as well.

See if you dealer can let you take each one on an extended test drive to see which one you like better.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:17 AM
another_mini_owner
1st Gear
Well, I didn't make a detailed analysis of the matter; what happened is I sat in a Clubman and was pleasantly surprised: I liked how it felt. So I decided I should try sitting in the Countryman too, but when I sat in there I thought "this doesn't feel like a MINI." I didn't drive either one, but just had a kind of gut/visceral reaction to them.

That's when I started thinking "hmm, would I regret getting the clubman? Would I feel like it was too big? That it wasn't as nice as the mini?" I really love small cars, the smaller the better. And yet I've been thinking: Hmm, should get the four door instead of the two door since it's *really* hard for me to get in and out of the backseat in a 2-door. The slippery slope:
Length:
2 door Cooper: 151.1 inches
2 door Cooper S: 151.9
4 door Cooper: 157.4
Clubman: 168.3

So going from the base to the S isn't too bad: less than 1 inch. Then another 6 inches for the four door. Then another 11 inches for the Clubman. When is it too much? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Of course the answer is personal, but I was just wondering what other people thought about their own cars and choices.

One of the big issues for me is parking in my garage. I can park my current car (Infiniti G37) but it's a bit of a tight squeeze. A mini would be easier, of course, but would getting the Clubman pretty much negate all that?

Old 03-01-2019, 07:36 AM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I've always been a fan of the Clubman because they had it in the original Mini line, too.

https://goo.gl/images/FRi5zQ

But there does come a point where things start getting too big, and it see that all across the MINI line in the newer models. I much prefer the older BMW MINIs as they have a bit more retro style and are more true to the original. I also like wagons, so the added utility of the Clubman appeals to me.