1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member 06 R53 owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 11:58 AM
Hecka
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Member 06 R53 owner

Hey Motorists!

I'd like to introduce myself and tell you a bit about my history with MC, and recent R53 purchase. I live in Washington state, and one thing about this state when it comes to Minis is that they're just about as prevalent as Honda Civics in Washington state. In 2011 I bought a 05 R53 but after a short time of zipping around, traded it for a Subaru legacy in 2012. Since then, I've had an itch I just couldn't scratch properly. I've driving all sorts of cars, but the one that continued to stand out to me was that Cooper S.

Well now I've grown up a bit more and Minis around here are less than half of what I sold mine for, back then. I searched all over craigslist and finally found one that I thought was the right fit for me. A '06 Cooper S with 70k miles. Well shortly after I bought it, the supercharger blew. And I mean, it really BLEW. Not the way it's supposed to. I'm using Mod Mini's YT videos to get me through replacing it, and I actually bought a JCW supercharger from him, so there's a slight upgrade to it. I'm thinking I would like to get the ECU tuned so that I can get some more hp from the upgrade, but that will be a bit down the road.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 10-15-2018, 12:17 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome to the forum and back to MINI ownership. I have to get out the first question: Any pictures to share?

The following users liked this post:
Hecka (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 12:36 PM
Hecka
1st Gear
Here's a link to My MINI Shared Album

I used to embed pics with photobucket but that failed because photobucket is a horrible service now. If anybody knows a better way to embed pictures, I'll put them up in forum posts. For now, you can click my album link if you want to check it out. I don't have pictures showing it on jack stands with the front mostly off, but I'm sure you've seen those kind of pics before

Old 10-15-2018, 06:38 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Welcome and Congrats. Sounds like you may have a good start if it just needs a supercharger.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-16-2018, 09:11 AM
Hecka
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Welcome and Congrats. Sounds like you may have a good start if it just needs a supercharger.
Thank you! There are a few other things that need to be addressed on the MINI:

Tie rods
Idler Pulley
Starter Motor

So far, I've gotten the car into front end service mode, taken off the radiator, and replaced the crank position sensor o-ring for good measure. I'll start a new thread with current progress and pictures, if desired.

Last edited by Hecka; 10-16-2018 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-16-2018, 08:40 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Hecka
Thank you! There are a few other things that need to be addressed on the MINI:

Tie rods
Idler Pulley
Starter Motor

So far, I've gotten the car into front end service mode, taken off the radiator, and replaced the crank position sensor o-ring for good measure. I'll start a new thread with current progress and pictures, if desired.
Cool that's all stuff we keep in stock.

If you have it in service mode it's a good time to service the supercharger which we have a great kit for.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-16-2018, 08:45 PM
Hecka
1st Gear
WayMotorWorks, I did in fact buy the ATI Super Damper harmonic balancer from you guys today. The rest of the parts I had purchased through rockauto. I may consider your website for some of my other performance parts, depending on price and the look I want it to have under the hood. For $1800, that GP intercooler better be something special!

Old 10-17-2018, 08:54 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM, Hecka!
Congrats on your 06 MCS find! If you do the JCW tune, you will need to get a set of 380 injectors, to get more out of the engine. (some us larger, but your should do a cam and others things for that. It also reduces mpgs, so I chose not to go that way with my stock 06 MCS JCW. I am getting around 29.5 in my rural area.
keep us posted and show us the pics. you can paste ones from you computer to here and them pull them off of your album.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:21 PM
iankun
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to NAM and congrats on the 06 hatch. Pity the supercharger has decided to let go, but that's always an opportunity to replace with better which you're already doing