1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a Hampton Clubman S

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 04:31 PM
Superfrog73
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got a Hampton Clubman S

Well, wasn't looking for such an upgrade, but like what I got so far...

A year and a half ago I picked up my first Mini, a Mellow Yellow 2009 hatch and loved it. Bought it cause it was a fair price (we were buying a mini van at the same time) and it was a stick shift. Not an S model but I was surprised on how quick it was, and how it felt driving. It was fairly high miles but in great shape and lots of options. Well, a couple of months ago, started having transmission problems, 2nd shift wouldn't engage at all. I spent quite a bit of time at different garages and on line trying to find an inexpensive solution. Also started looking for a replacement. Really didn't want to give up the "bumble bee", spent a quite a bit of time doing my own maintenance, upgrading the stereo, and adding a camera. Had it just about perfect. The issue is this is my daily driver and needs to be reliable, and I still owed on it (not much but enough to make the wifey worried). So, either I spend the money and get it fixed right the first time... or trade it in. What I really wanted was something newer, in an S model if possible, with all of the features of the '09, including the color. That was a tall order for my price range.

In my search for a replacement, I came across a 2012 Clubman S for a very good price, and the dealer offered me the best deal for the 2009 (average I was getting was about $850 with the transmission issue). Never drove a turbo before, so didn't have any expectations other than it would be a bit quicker than the 2009 was. I'm no Mini expert so I didn't pick up on some of the details of the Clubman until after I bought it and talked with my coworkers. I got it because of the trade in and the good price, only had 50k on the odo, and was in good condition. Didn't have the sun roof, the automatic lights or environmental controls, no Bluetooth or navigation. It had leather seats (which I really never cared for) and an odd red/purple detailing around the car. But it was a manual, and had the cold weather package (both a must). Saw the "50" badge on the grill, but just thought that it was built during Mini's 50th.

Well, turned out, though, I found myself in a Hampton. After some research, I know a bit about the edition. Some of the badges/decals are missing and the hood stripes are a bit faded, but overall in very good condition. The stripes, I think, now that they are more of a matte finish adds a real nice contrast to the overall look. So, bonus, I get a somewhat unique new ride.

My coworker, who owns 2 Mini's, also noticed my new ride sounded a bit different... and saw that JCW was stamped on my exhaust tips. That I wasn't expecting. Now I'm wondering what all was offered as part of the JCW packages in 2012 for the Clubman.

Long story short (start tl;dr here), any advice for maintenance and detailing would be welcome! Although I'm not fond of the leather seats, I'm looking for suggestions to make them look good again (they are a bit faded). I'll also be looking for the missing Hampton decals just to make the car complete. At some point, I will be modifying the stock radio and adding a camera again. There is some maintenance that needs to be done like new breaks, fuel filter, and an oil change; but nothing that needs done right now. Also thinking about swapping out the chrome hood scoop (which is flaking) with a flat black or a really dark, flat, metallic purple to match the other details.

Well, that's it for first gear... time to find 2nd (and there it is finally after months of not having it).

My last shot of the "Bumble Bee"

Just before I bought the new Mini

Finally at home!

Old 08-07-2018, 04:35 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

Two good looking MINIs.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:17 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM!

Old 08-08-2018, 07:06 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Nice! I love my Hampton edition, too.

What exhaust is under there?

Old 08-08-2018, 09:15 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Make sure you get out of town enough to enjoy it. There are some great roads if you get far enough from the big city.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:40 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome

Old 08-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Superfrog73
Neutral
Originally Posted by njaremka
Nice! I love my Hampton edition, too.

What exhaust is under there?
Still researching some things about the car, real life is keeping me busy. It's stamped John Cooper Works, so I'm assuming it came with the car new. I'd like to figure out how to find out exact options it came with later, in case I have to repair. Does sound "meaner" than my coworker's Clubman S (and he hates my car sounds cooler).

Old 08-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Superfrog73
Neutral
Originally Posted by miniCPA
Welcome to the forum. Make sure you get out of town enough to enjoy it. There are some great roads if you get far enough from the big city.
Oh, I plan on it. Live in Northern VA, so I don't have to go far. In fact, might take a drive to North Western PA for the weekend. Something I wanted to do with the 2009 hatch, just never got the chance.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:02 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Congrats it took me 3yrs to find the right R55 and I almost got a Hampton but didn't want the sunroof.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-09-2018, 05:09 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome.

Nice Pair...

Motor On!

Old 08-09-2018, 06:09 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Originally Posted by Superfrog73
Still researching some things about the car, real life is keeping me busy. It's stamped John Cooper Works, so I'm assuming it came with the car new. I'd like to figure out how to find out exact options it came with later, in case I have to repair. Does sound "meaner" than my coworker's Clubman S (and he hates my car sounds cooler).
They look like the JCW tuning kit muffler tips, which only fit the JCW tuning kit mufflers, so you at least have those. Does the airbox have JCW marking on it? You might have a tuning kit installed.

Ride height looks similar to stock, so you might not have the sport suspension.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:38 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Ah nice, congrats on a rare model with a very nice interior.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-10-2018, 05:14 AM
Superfrog73
Neutral
Originally Posted by njaremka
They look like the JCW tuning kit muffler tips, which only fit the JCW tuning kit mufflers, so you at least have those. Does the airbox have JCW marking on it? You might have a tuning kit installed.

Ride height looks similar to stock, so you might not have the sport suspension.
Thanks for the info! It does help. Don't see any JCW markings under the hood, but I'll take a closer look. Looks like the air box was removed and maybe replaced at some point (grommet mounts are missing), though. My question about suspension is that it is considerably stiffer than my last cooper or my coworker's ride, but could be some sort of aftermarket change. But this your info does help!