1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a R53... making a track day car.. looking for helpful info

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 05:07 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
What has been nice, note the "has", is that NAM has not had allot of chippy or derogatory posts and I for one would like to keep it that way. Anybody and I do mean anybody that wants to go back to the way things were years back, please leave and don't let the door hit your butt on the way over to Facebook.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:47 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Welcome! Just MHO, but a track car and a race car are two different animals. If you want to attend HPDE's and do some open track, I heartily suggest you initially build for reliability because there's nothing worse than being at an event with problems. Get used to the handling characteristics of the MINI, namely dial in the suspension, evaluate the brakes and pads. Just a suggestion but I'd ditch the drilled rotors for some solid ones and rig up cooling ducts. Also, you'll save at least 15 lb. by going to an Odyssey or Braille battery. Enjoy the ride!
^ this is great advice.

There are countless examples of people who have gone whole hog on building the ultimate track car and had it all end in disappointment. Handling and brakes first, get that tuned and settled. Then add power. IMHO anyway.

Sneed4speed has a brake duct kit for the R53.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:52 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Originally Posted by BigNana

Mostly Hill Climbs, very little autocross, track days at both The F.I.R.M. in Starke Florida and Roebleing in Savannah, GA. Almost all of that was done in a Polaris slingshot, but SCCA and NASA will not allow me to run the Slingshot, so i bought the mini because i figured it would get me the track time i need to be able to run at Pikes Peak next year, on my bucket list. Here is a pic of my slingshot at the tail of the dragon right after I got stuck behind some slow riding Harley riders pulling trailers!
Welcome to NAM.

How do those two in the front one in the back things handle on the Dragon?