1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New '05 R53 Purple Haze owner

Old 08-22-2018, 10:59 AM
audihere
4th Gear
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Got my bumper back from body man. He did a nice job on it. Removed several dents/creases and repainted. I told him not to worry about all the licence plate holes because the new bracket will cover them all.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:01 AM
audihere
4th Gear
Got these silver turn signal bulbs from WMW to try out. Really cool how they instantly turn the light all clear.

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (10-01-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:03 AM
audihere
4th Gear
Started reassembling the font bumper. 2 new chrome pieces. New bottom trim. Old side trims. Original turn signals with the chrome bulbs. Waiting on ECS order delivering today with new grill and 2 bottom pan pieces. Also going to install the front fog light retrofit before reattaching the bumper for hopefully the last time.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:36 AM
Dannorth
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by audihere
I got a rear view mirror with Home Link and Auto Dimming on eBay. We installed it and the Home Link and Auto Dimming worked great, but the key fobs no longer worked with the car. We tried all the procedures to re-link the keys to the car, but nothing was working. After disassembling the new mirror, we found a lot of corrosion on the receiver PCB which killed it. We were able to swap the old mirror's receiver PCB into the new mirror even though they weren't exactly the same. Got everything working! Bye Bye garage door remote.
I assume that mirror is from a newer car? '07 - 14ish? Was it pretty much plug and play aside from the keyfob receiver?

Old 08-22-2018, 11:52 AM
audihere
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dannorth
I assume that mirror is from a newer car? '07 - 14ish? Was it pretty much plug and play aside from the keyfob receiver?
The auction stated the mirror was for 05-06, but may have very well been for later model like most are listed as. The shape and mounting of the mirror are exactly the same and the plug from the car fit it perfectly. No other issues.

Dannorth (08-22-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 02:23 PM
audihere
4th Gear
Milltek non-resonated exhaust installed today. Sounds really awesome. Will get some drive time on it this week.

ECSTuning (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 02:46 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Awesome!

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-27-2018, 04:35 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to NAM. Good to see your dad and you have such great taste in cars.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:58 PM
Dannorth
1st Gear
We got an OBD programming cable from eBay (item# 252496444220) and it came with a thumb drive with EVERYTHING needed to code the car. Several auto installation programs that set everything up for doing the job. I was prepared to do a bunch of downloading and manual installation but we got lucky. The seller was also very responsive answering a few questions I had.

I really wanted to code the doors to unlock when key is removed as it's a pain to always have to unlock them with the switch or pull twice on the handle. We also coded the remotes to lock/unlock everything with one button press and auto up on the driver's window among a few other things.
Awesome car, for sure!

Tried to find the eBay listing you gave above, but it seems to have expired. Any chance you can find it again?

Old 08-28-2018, 08:57 AM
audihere
4th Gear
Awesome car, for sure!

Tried to find the eBay listing you gave above, but it seems to have expired. Any chance you can find it again?
Someone else had the same problem with finding that eBay auction. When I go to my eBay Purchase History, I see this message under that item:

"We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help. Please visit the Resolution Center to help resolve any problems you may encounter."

So, for some reason, eBay pulled the item? The seller was diy_bmw_garage and was a great help getting me up and programming, so maybe you can contact them directly.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:03 AM
Dannorth
1st Gear
Someone else had the same problem with finding that eBay auction. When I go to my eBay Purchase History, I see this message under that item:

"We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help. Please visit the Resolution Center to help resolve any problems you may encounter."

So, for some reason, eBay pulled the item? The seller was diy_bmw_garage and was a great help getting me up and programming, so maybe you can contact them directly.
I took a better look; seems maybe this is the same thing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/331838349426

Old 08-28-2018, 09:19 AM
audihere
4th Gear
I took a better look; seems maybe this is the same thing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/331838349426
Yes, that's what my cable looks like. The switch on the connector is there so you don't have to manually bridge pins 7 and 8 together depending on the make/model of vehicle it's being connected to.

Dannorth (08-28-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 07:04 PM
audihere
4th Gear
Out with the old and in with the new. We replaced all these parts as some were cracked or dented.

Last edited by audihere; 09-01-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:13 PM
audihere
4th Gear
Got the refinished bumper back on. Paint looks great. All new chrome trim and license place bracketry.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:37 PM
audihere
4th Gear
We installed the MINI front fog light retrofit kit. We are not expert mechanics but this kit is no joke. It took us over 12 hours total to install!

This didn't count the 2 hours we spent driving around to 2 auto parts stores and 2 dealerships to find some MINI specific crimp connectors. We got the kit from ECS Tuning, but there's a major compatibility issue with the 2 crimp connectors that need to be moved from one harness connector into a pre-existing connector housing in the car. The 2 connector housings are compatible, BUT the actual crimps are not cross compatible so the kit is impossible to install as-is. So, basically you need 4 crimps installed into 1 connector housing, but each pair of crimp connectors is only compatible with its style of housing. I contacted ECS about this but didn't receive a reply.

Fortunately a miracle happened and we found some of these special crimps at a BMW dealership and were able to keep on working since the car was very taken apart at this point. The fog lights are super cool, but this is a huge job!

Wheel fender liners removed to gain access to fog light mounting area.

It took a while for us to realize the connectors the instructions are talking about are actually on the bottom side of the engine fuse panel. So it needs to be unbolted and lifted upside down. There is very little slack on the cables.

There are the two styles of crimp connectors that are not compatible with each others housings even though the two housings are both compatible with the car.

The two white connectors and buying the crimps at the BMW dealership.

Had to cut some wires on the car and crimp on new connectors that were compatible with the ECS housing.

We ran into another problem with the wiring harness. Not long enough to make it over to BC1. I didn't see any way to get any more slack out of it either. ECS Tuning mysteriously included a couple of pigtails for these 2 wires, but there was maybe 8" length of wire on each one. We needed more like 3 feet. We had to cut and extend these 2 cables to get them over to BC1.

We coded the front fog lights into the car. Everything worked the first time! There's a little green light on the front fog toggle switch which is cool.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:13 AM
audihere
4th Gear
Subwoofer enclosure finally arrived. Still waiting on the speaker and hardware kit. Hoping hear this by the weekend.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:38 PM
audihere
4th Gear
Got the subwoofer installed and hooked up.

The jack nuts really suck. Installed 2 for mounting the sub enclosure.

Jack nut installed. The tool is complete junk, doesn't hold well enough. One got messed up and need to redo.

Sub enclosure in place.

This is the false floor included with sub enclosure.

False floor in place.

Nice fit.

Sounds great. Had some vibration noise so added felt tape under the box. This thing can really put out some strong bass if you crank it up on the EQ.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:39 AM
audihere
4th Gear
Got some goodies to stiffen up the chassis for fun. TSW XBrace and the OEM cabrio cross braces from WMW along with a M7 front strut brace from a fine member of NAM. Hopefully installing this week.

WayMotorWorks (10-01-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 02:04 PM
audihere
4th Gear
Got the chassis stiffening mods installed. Seems great. Still a few more things to do.

X Brace

M7 front strut brace

M7 front strut brace

Cabrio brace

M7 front strut brace

Cabrio brace

Old 10-17-2018, 10:22 AM
audihere
4th Gear
Some new goodies from WMW showed up.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:33 AM
audihere
4th Gear
Also received my wheel spacers. Getting closer!

Old 10-22-2018, 02:48 PM
audihere
4th Gear
More goodies for lowering (hopefully this week). Rear anti-sway bar and rear adjustable control arm links.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:44 PM
audihere
4th Gear
One of the final pieces to the puzzle (for now).

Old 10-25-2018, 12:15 PM
audihere
4th Gear
Progress is being made!

Old 10-25-2018, 01:06 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Nice!

Which control arms are those? The look like Hotchkis, but all black.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New '05 R53 Purple Haze owner