1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N55 JCW new owner!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 07:07 PM
CluelessJK
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N55 JCW new owner!

Hey NAM, I'm new to the mini world. Been a longtime enthusiast but I finally pulled the trigger on an 09 N55 JCW! Looking forward to learning a lot on the forum!

Old 09-24-2016, 09:18 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM, CluelessJK.
We need pics!
Nice things are not kept from members! LOL

Old 09-24-2016, 09:44 PM
CluelessJK
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi and welcome to NAM, CluelessJK.
We need pics!
Nice things are not kept from members! LOL
The only one I got isn't that good it was already dark when we finished paperwork.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:20 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Welcome to the JCW club! You were close with the N55 designation, it's actually R55 for the Clubman. N55 is the revised 3.0L TwinPower turbo for the x35i series BMWs :p Enjoy those pops and burbles on sport mode!

Old 09-25-2016, 03:00 PM
CluelessJK
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 3lusive
Welcome to the JCW club! You were close with the N55 designation, it's actually R55 for the Clubman. N55 is the revised 3.0L TwinPower turbo for the x35i series BMWs :p Enjoy those pops and burbles on sport mode!
That makes sense I've had a few bimmmers so easily mistaken! Thanks

Old 09-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R55

Originally Posted by CluelessJK
Hey NAM, I'm new to the mini world. Been a longtime enthusiast but I finally pulled the trigger on an 09 N55 JCW! Looking forward to learning a lot on the forum!
Welcome to NAM and congrats on your beautiful MINI. If you are a Raiders or Dale Earnhardt fan you've got the right color combo. Even if you're not, it's really sharp looking.

Please feel free to ask any and all questions, we're here to help!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:51 PM
CluelessJK
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Welcome to NAM and congrats on your beautiful MINI. If you are a Raiders or Dale Earnhardt fan you've got the right color combo. Even if you're not, it's really sharp looking.

Please feel free to ask any and all questions, we're here to help!

Thanks! I'll post some better pictures as soon as I actually get a decent setting for them! It's got 97,000 miles on the clock so I hope she keeps ticking for s long time, it's only a 2 owner car with good records luckily.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:50 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the R55. Looks very clean on with the silver on black and the black challenge wheels. I would say someone spent some money on a Clubman. Black with white pipping lounge leather seats ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-27-2016, 04:42 PM
CluelessJK
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Welcome and congrats on the R55. Looks very clean on with the silver on black and the black challenge wheels. I would say someone spent some money on a Clubman. Black with white pipping lounge leather seats ?
Dang! I'd say you know what you're talking about! Black with white piping is correct. Got a standard trans too, which makes me very happy.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:14 PM
TocoWW
1st Gear
The only one I got isn't that good it was already dark when we finished paperwork.
Looks fantastic!!

Old 09-27-2016, 06:32 PM
CluelessJK
1st Gear
Old 09-27-2016, 08:41 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Congrats, I have to say I'm a little jealous as I drive a Clubman as my company car. Even with all the mods I've done I still want a JCW as it has so much more to start with.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-28-2016, 07:55 AM
CluelessJK
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Congrats, I have to say I'm a little jealous as I drive a Clubman as my company car. Even with all the mods I've done I still want a JCW as it has so much more to start with.
So since I'm a noob, I'm not really sure what all extra the JCW has done to it?

I was fully expecting to be lucky to even find a clubman S let alone a JCW! So I seized the opportunity when it arose.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:04 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cooper-s.html

I'll copy and paste here because this is a common question and should appear easily to everyone that searches:

This is from onefish2's post in the above referenced thread.

The differences between a 09+ Factory JCW and a MINI Cooper S:

Engine

More aggressive ECU tuning

Turbo back exhaust system. The exhaust and catalytic converter have been reworked and enlarged to aid the unrestricted flow and reduction in back pressure. Also NO second cat.

Upgraded turbocharger - larger and strengthened twin-scroll turbocharger and exhaust manifold resulting in a pressure increase from 0.9 to 1.3 bar

Upgraded pistons

Upgraded Getrag transmission

Upgraded clutch and throwout bearing

6 speed manual only

208hp

Upgraded engine components: The engine is fitted with reinforced and specifically ground pistons as well as a cylinder head with optimized rigidity and modified gasket. The cylinder head wall thickness is increased to reduce potential stress during peak output. The intake valves and valve seat rings are also made of a specially resilient material, and compared to the engine of the MINI Cooper S there is a slight reduction in compression. The air filter, air mass sensor, exhaust system and catalytic converter have been modified so as to achieve a power-enhancing de-throttling on the induction and exhaust side. The through-flow capacity of the clean air duct to the turbocharger has also been increased.

BRAKES

4 piston red Brembo brakes with painted JCW logo and larger rotors, red rear calipers and larger rotors

12.4" rotors-front

11.0" rotors-rear

BADGING

JCW badge on drivers side front lower grill

JCW badge on the right side of boot replacing the Cooper S badge

JCW flag badge on the lower right side of the secret compartment

JCW logo on door sills

DTC (dynamic traction control)

EDLC (electronic differential lock control)

17" Challenge Alloy Wheels. JCW logo on each wheel's center cap

Gear shift **** with red shift pattern

Choice of piano black or fluid silver interior surfaces

Anthracite headliner

In the US a JCW does NOT come with the JCW aero kit or the JCW sport suspension. Those are dealer or port installed options. So are all of the JCW bits like the steering wheel and CF parts like the JCW CF hood.

And a bit more:

There are two different ways you can “JCW” your MCS. It's not that confusing if you read the site but I'll explain anyway. You can buy a MCS and then buy the JCW Tuning Kit also known as a Stage 1 kit. This kit consists of an ECU upgrade, slightly less restrictive exhaust and new airbox. This amounts to an official HP figure of 189. This is purchased and installed from the dealer

Then you have the JCW car. This is a different car, yes kind of like a 3 series and an M3 except the JCW car isn't quite as comprehensive a package as an M car. With the factory JCW car you get even more aggressive ECU tuning, a full turbo back exhaust system, upgraded pistons, upgraded transmission, upgraded clutch, anthracite headliner, JCW door sills, your choice of piano black or fluid silver interior surface, shift **** with red numbers, 17" JCW Challenge wheels with Bridgestone performance runflats and 4 piston Brembo brakes in red with JCW logo. All this adds up to an official figure of 210hp.

The engine in the JCW factory car is essentially the same engine as in the MINI Challenge race car. All the other accessories you see like the JCW aero kit and JCW suspension are extra and you'll need to pay extra if you want them. One way to tell the difference between a Cooper S with JCW tuning kit and a factory JCW car is if you stand behind the 'S' you'll see the Cooper S badge where it always is and the JCW badge on the opposite side of the boot, if you stand behind a factory JCW it will only have a JCW badge and that will be where the Cooper S is normally.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:13 AM
CluelessJK
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 3lusive
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cooper-s.html

I'll copy and paste here because this is a common question and should appear easily to everyone that searches:

This is from onefish2's post in the above referenced thread.

The differences between a 09+ Factory JCW and a MINI Cooper S:

Engine

More aggressive ECU tuning

Turbo back exhaust system. The exhaust and catalytic converter have been reworked and enlarged to aid the unrestricted flow and reduction in back pressure. Also NO second cat.

Upgraded turbocharger - larger and strengthened twin-scroll turbocharger and exhaust manifold resulting in a pressure increase from 0.9 to 1.3 bar

Upgraded pistons

Upgraded Getrag transmission

Upgraded clutch and throwout bearing

6 speed manual only

208hp

Upgraded engine components: The engine is fitted with reinforced and specifically ground pistons as well as a cylinder head with optimized rigidity and modified gasket. The cylinder head wall thickness is increased to reduce potential stress during peak output. The intake valves and valve seat rings are also made of a specially resilient material, and compared to the engine of the MINI Cooper S there is a slight reduction in compression. The air filter, air mass sensor, exhaust system and catalytic converter have been modified so as to achieve a power-enhancing de-throttling on the induction and exhaust side. The through-flow capacity of the clean air duct to the turbocharger has also been increased.

BRAKES

4 piston red Brembo brakes with painted JCW logo and larger rotors, red rear calipers and larger rotors

12.4" rotors-front

11.0" rotors-rear

BADGING

JCW badge on drivers side front lower grill

JCW badge on the right side of boot replacing the Cooper S badge

JCW flag badge on the lower right side of the secret compartment

JCW logo on door sills

DTC (dynamic traction control)

EDLC (electronic differential lock control)

17" Challenge Alloy Wheels. JCW logo on each wheel's center cap

Gear shift **** with red shift pattern

Choice of piano black or fluid silver interior surfaces

Anthracite headliner

In the US a JCW does NOT come with the JCW aero kit or the JCW sport suspension. Those are dealer or port installed options. So are all of the JCW bits like the steering wheel and CF parts like the JCW CF hood.

And a bit more:

There are two different ways you can “JCW” your MCS. It's not that confusing if you read the site but I'll explain anyway. You can buy a MCS and then buy the JCW Tuning Kit also known as a Stage 1 kit. This kit consists of an ECU upgrade, slightly less restrictive exhaust and new airbox. This amounts to an official HP figure of 189. This is purchased and installed from the dealer

Then you have the JCW car. This is a different car, yes kind of like a 3 series and an M3 except the JCW car isn't quite as comprehensive a package as an M car. With the factory JCW car you get even more aggressive ECU tuning, a full turbo back exhaust system, upgraded pistons, upgraded transmission, upgraded clutch, anthracite headliner, JCW door sills, your choice of piano black or fluid silver interior surface, shift **** with red numbers, 17" JCW Challenge wheels with Bridgestone performance runflats and 4 piston Brembo brakes in red with JCW logo. All this adds up to an official figure of 210hp.

The engine in the JCW factory car is essentially the same engine as in the MINI Challenge race car. All the other accessories you see like the JCW aero kit and JCW suspension are extra and you'll need to pay extra if you want them. One way to tell the difference between a Cooper S with JCW tuning kit and a factory JCW car is if you stand behind the 'S' you'll see the Cooper S badge where it always is and the JCW badge on the opposite side of the boot, if you stand behind a factory JCW it will only have a JCW badge and that will be where the Cooper S is normally.
That's awesome! Thanks for all the info!

Old 09-29-2016, 08:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yep, good info. The only thing I would ad is on the JCW body kit was made standard I believe after 2011 or early 2011+ on the factory JCW. I will have to find more info on it. There was an option full painted " blackband " body kit version also " in spring 2009 +. http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/01/...-kit-revealed/

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-29-2016, 08:49 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Around June 2011 the news was announced so probably a couple months after that (for 2012 production most likely) they started making the JCW aerokit standard option

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/06/...l-jcw-minis-2/

Old 09-29-2016, 10:45 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
+1 thats it. Was looking for that.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:00 AM
CluelessJK
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yep, good info. The only thing I would ad is on the JCW body kit was made standard I believe after 2011 or early 2011+ on the factory JCW. I will have to find more info on it. There was an option full painted " blackband " body kit version also " in spring 2009 +. http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/01/...-kit-revealed/
It doesn't appear that mine has the aero kit in those pictures however it does has dual exhaust and a small front splitter.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:06 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, you have the Clubamn S set up.

VS

JCW Body kit Clubman

Old 09-29-2016, 08:54 PM
CluelessJK
1st Gear
Dang, well I'm not putting the money into a body kit. Better to put into preventitive maintenance and performance! Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Old 09-30-2016, 11:17 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome. Used to have the body kits on sale. They sold out.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...right-now.html

...still have some other left on Sale :

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2008-Cooper-R55-S_Clubman-Coupe-L4_1.6L_N14B16A/Exterior/Body/

Old 09-30-2016, 02:11 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
N55

Dang, well I'm not putting the money into a body kit. Better to put into preventitive maintenance and performance! Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
Welcome, keep us posted as to your mods and ask any service & performance upgrade questions you like!