1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my first mini-is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 02:56 PM
Valentina Rossi
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my first mini-is this normal?

i have always owned subarus but i have wanted a mini for ages and when my subaru's engine needed replacement i figured it was time to try a mini. i now have a 2012 cooper s coupe. i am happy but now i worry all the time someone will hit him while i have him parked. i bought the car thursday, went back to work friday and of course someone dinged the left front wheel arch cover while he was parked. it made me sick! i suppose it could have been worse but does anyone else freak over their mini like this?? it almost gets in the way of the joy of finally having one.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
No, I would be more concerned that someone is going to blow my brains out with an assault rifle while I'm in the store. It's just a car.

Sad today over more senseless violence. Sorry to be a downer.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:05 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
A possession is just that ....a thing...it can be fix or replaced.
It is normal to be disappointed....but I always found the first ding on a new car to be somewhat liberating...let's face it...it's over...no need to worry!!

Old 06-12-2016, 05:03 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 369 Likes on 312 Posts
There's also a concept called 'defensive parking'. Most of the time, it works.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
A possession is just that ....a thing...it can be fix or replaced. It is normal to be disappointed....but I always found the first ding on a new car to be somewhat liberating...let's face it...it's over...no need to worry!!
That's why my last one was bought used with scratches!

Old 06-13-2016, 07:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,772 Posts
Just park out in the middle of the lot and hope another MINI parks beside you.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-13-2016, 08:55 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Just park out in the middle of the lot and hope another MINI parks beside you.
Except unmanned shopping carts getting blown by the wind....
And drivers Ed cars....
Sorry...but I tend to be a bit of a cynic at times...

Remember when I had my Honda CRX in it last days....before I dropped it off at the salvage yard a few weeks after I picked up my MINI....
My favorite trick was parking in the space next to a new car when the idiot owner would try to use 2 spaces....the CRX still fit!! And with a terminal case of rust I didn't care about dings!!
Poor sucker would have to crawl in their passangerside side door....

Old 06-13-2016, 09:05 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,772 Posts
Yea, do the cart walk and walk them to the nearest cart depo. Park on a corner , end lot.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-14-2016, 05:50 AM
Alan Snow
2nd Gear
Being protective of your new shiny is totally normal. I have a ten foot wide parking space at my residence, and nobody ever crosses that line, and I STILL worry about my tiny little car getting dinged up while parked. Some of us are just obsessive, I guess.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:10 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 369 Likes on 312 Posts
I posted this on another thread but this seems like a good place for it as well.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:07 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Don't let this ruin your day, but also, I totally understand how you feel (especially since you just got your MINI). Even after 6+ years, I'm still very picky about where I park. I'll opt for a longer walk if it means getting an end space in a lot, or parking farther away from any other car(s). If nothing else, I try to park next to nicer cars (BMW, Merc, etc.) as I figure those owners aren't keen to ding their own car door and may exercise a bit more caution near mine.

Now that you have the first ding, practice "defensive parking" like Zippy said, put it out of your mind. Relax and enjoy your MINI!

Old 06-17-2016, 06:44 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I tend to park and hike to wherever I'm going. My Mini is the one you see at the farthest end of the parking lot. Haven't suffered a door ding yet, but a few weeks ago, my wife was playing with our dog by the doorway to the garage, and she tripped and hit the Mini between the drivers door and gas door. Nice dent. Wife was OK, but I was not a happy camper with the dent.

Found a Paintless Dent Removal guy on line about 30 miles away. Made an appointment to see what he could do. I had no idea how he was going to access the dent in the first place. He pulled the rubber seal off where it's held in the back of the door jamb. The hole where the rubber pops in was in a good spot, so he went to work on it. In about an hour and a half, he was done, and I can't find evidence of the dent. I've tried from all angles.

If you can find one of these guys, give em a shot at it. One of the best $100 investments I've ever made. And the Mini looks perfect again, so it now get's parked on the other side of the garage... away from the house door.

By the way, nice looking coupe!

Old 06-17-2016, 10:39 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I'll always pick a spot where only one side of my car is at risk, and I try to make it so that if a car parks next to me it's the car's passenger side since most cars don't have a passenger. Watch for shopping carts. Don't take up more than one spot, that just pisses people off. Drop off your spouse at the door if they don't feel like putting up with this silliness. Don't park under lights since birds tend to use these as toilets. While you can't control everything, you can at least try to pick a good parking space.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:34 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, best to be nice to the spouse, unless it's ok for the accompanied walk in from way out in the parking lot, otherwise drop off at door. Especially if it's raining. Wait as sec! Raining?? My Mini doesn't go out in the rain! What am I saying!!

Old 06-29-2016, 10:34 PM
Tim H (WarDoc)
2nd Gear
Bought my 2005 mini S convertible last Saturday and went to my in-laws with it after getting insurance and plates. It's not going to win any car shows. Saturday night someone backed into it while it was parked and messed up the rear bumper\tailgate. It made me sick. I thought my father in law was messing with me when he told me someone just backed into it. Wish I would have backed it in. The front bumper needs to be repainted the back looked good. :/ Now I have to hassle with getting it fixed.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:39 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Guess OP just registered to vent. Not a peep since.