1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed one issue, started another

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 04:39 PM
Ramblin_Wreck08
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fixed one issue, started another

I finished changing my starter today after people here suggested that was the cause of a startup noise I was getting. You were right! She now cranks just fine without any strange sounds.

But now I'm getting this and no power steering:

What did I do and how do I fix it?

Old 02-07-2016, 06:38 AM
Ramblin_Wreck08
Neutral
Found the issue. There are 3 wires that connect to the starter. I had only reconnected 2 - the 3rd was caught behind the heat shield and out of sight. It had been a week since i disconnected the old starter, and I forgot there were 3. Just connected what I saw.

Now that everything's back together, there's no more battery light. However, I'm now getting a whine from the power steering pump. I also managed to break off the bolt that connects the heat shield to the oil filter housing. This simple task is becoming more difficult by the minute

Old 02-08-2016, 08:49 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Good job! Glad the noise is gone and you figured out they issue. You will quickly learn that if any type of wire, ground, battery connection, etc. is loose or not connected, your MINI will have all sorts of issues. For the whine, check the level of your power steering fluid. If it's low, fill it up with CHF 11S HERE and inspect for leaks. The power steering pump on the MINI is one of those items that seems to have a bad reputation. In talking to many MINI owners, it seems that this is one of the more common items to fail on the car.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-24-2016, 04:52 PM
Ramblin_Wreck08
Neutral
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Good job! Glad the noise is gone and you figured out they issue. You will quickly learn that if any type of wire, ground, battery connection, etc. is loose or not connected, your MINI will have all sorts of issues. For the whine, check the level of your power steering fluid. If it's low, fill it up with CHF 11S HERE and inspect for leaks. The power steering pump on the MINI is one of those items that seems to have a bad reputation. In talking to many MINI owners, it seems that this is one of the more common items to fail on the car.
Thank you for the recommendation! That did the trick!

Old 02-25-2016, 07:59 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Wreck08
Thank you for the recommendation! That did the trick!
You're very welcome. Just keep your eye on the level and if you need anything just give me a shout.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-25-2016, 09:00 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Wreck08
Found the issue. There are 3 wires that connect to the starter. I had only reconnected 2 - the 3rd was caught behind the heat shield and out of sight. It had been a week since i disconnected the old starter, and I forgot there were 3. Just connected what I saw.

Now that everything's back together, there's no more battery light. However, I'm now getting a whine from the power steering pump. I also managed to break off the bolt that connects the heat shield to the oil filter housing. This simple task is becoming more difficult by the minute

Do you have a PS leak ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172