1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One of last R59 MINI Roadsters Ordered today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 05:42 PM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
One of last R59 MINI Roadsters Ordered today!

Have been a member of NAM since 2008 lurking and thinking about a possible future MINI. With recent news of the demise of the Roadster and after last weekend's trip to the Chicago Auto Show to see the upcoming new Miata...we just decided it was time for a change.
On order now in status 112 is a CR S with AT, JCW interior, center armrest, 17" black star bullet wheels w/ performance tires, white turn signal lights, anti-dimming outside and inside mirrors, CR outside mirrors, cold weather package (supposed to snow here tomorrow!), HK sound, rear park control, xenons with adaptive light control and rear fog light.

Will be monitoring the Owner's Lounge on production status and calling the 800# frequently....

Old 02-25-2015, 08:32 AM
thedanman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds nice post some pics when you get it.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'll be interested to see how you like it compared to your MX-5. Post reactions when you get it!

Old 02-25-2015, 09:51 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Obviously you chose the Mini Cooper over the new 2016 Mazda Miata, I would be curious of your comparison between the two and why you chose the Mini over the Miata.
My wife is interested in looking at the new 2016 Miata to take the place of her Mini Cooper coupe. The primary reason for her interest in changing from Mini Cooper to Mazda is the poor reliability and high cost of keeping a Mini Cooper out of warranty vs the Mazda.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:41 PM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TREX
Obviously you chose the Mini Cooper over the new 2016 Mazda Miata, I would be curious of your comparison between the two and why you chose the Mini over the Miata.
My wife is interested in looking at the new 2016 Miata to take the place of her Mini Cooper coupe. The primary reason for her interest in changing from Mini Cooper to Mazda is the poor reliability and high cost of keeping a Mini Cooper out of warranty vs the Mazda.
Trex....we chose the MINI despite some lingering concerns about "less than Mazda" reliability and more expensive repair costs. We've been in Mazdas since 1999 (2 Miatas, 2 Proteges and 2 Mazda 3s in the family over the years) and when we learned our only other option in a "reasonably priced" (e.g. not a Boxster or Z4 or TT etc.) roadster was going away, we elected to join the MINI community.

We were ready for a change and we're moving to the AT so that my wife can also enjoy the MINI driving experience. One related aspect as well is that I work for a local MINI dealer so I have a bit more confidence that any issues we may face will be taken care of...still...cognizant that a MINI out of warranty may not be a good idea...we'll may look at the extended warranty depending on our ownership experience. While my Miatas have always had dedicated snows(Nokian Hakkapeliittas), and I anticipate the same for the MINI, I expect the MINIs FWD with snows will be a better winter driver as well.

We found the MINI Roadster roomier inside, particularly on the passenger footwell side. The MINIs back shelf being the seats is a benefit and the boot is 1/2 again larger than the NC Miatas....the ND was not "open" for viewing in Chicago but suspect the MINI has it beat in that area.

Our roadsters have been a focus of our social activities for years...SCCA, two Miata Clubs and local BMW Chapter so the MINI will fit right into that aspect of our lives....just hope our Chili Red R59 doesn't take on a "yellowish" hue!

I would NOT hesitate to recommend a Mazda product...and we may very well find ourselves back in a Mazda when my wife's car lease comes up in 2 years.

While the ND Miata looks sharp...we were just ready for a change..... Feel free to send me a PM with any other questions. Rick

Old 02-25-2015, 05:43 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the response to our question, I have no doubt you will be very happy with the Mini Cooper roadster and I'm sure since you work at a Mini dealership you will be safe with the Mini. Leasing may be the safest way to go with a Mini.
We love how our coupe looks and drives but it's started making a cold start rattle and even though our dealership and others tell us this is normal, I know it is not good for a car to run ten to fifteen minutes before the timing chain tensioner is fully working.
Therefore we are concerned with keeping the coupe long term and are thinking Mazda.
Our coupe has tons of storage space when you open the hatch and I know we would lose a lot there but since I will have to drive whatever we decide from time to time I am concerned with the room in the Miata's drivers seat. We bought our daughter a Miata two years ago and I could drive it ok but the earlier smaller model Miata's I couldn't even fit into.
I was hoping you would have had the chance to sit in the new 2016 Miata to tell whether the drivers side had as much room as the current model.
We really like our Mini Coupe so much we would have considered trading for a newer 2015 if only they would have offered them with the newer BMW based engines.

Last edited by TREX; 02-25-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TREX
Thanks for the response to our question, I have no doubt you will be very happy with the Mini Cooper roadster and I'm sure since you work at a Mini dealership you will be safe with the Mini. Leasing may be the safest way to go with a Mini.
We love how our coupe looks and drives but it's started making a cold start rattle and even though our dealership and others tell us this is normal, I know it is not good for a car to run ten to fifteen minutes before the timing chain tensioner is fully working.
Therefore we are concerned with keeping the coupe long term and are thinking Mazda.
Our coupe has tons of storage space when you open the hatch and I know we would lose a lot there but since I will have to drive whatever we decide from time to time I am concerned with the room in the Miata's drivers seat. We bought our daughter a Miata two years ago and I could drive it ok but the earlier smaller model Miata's I couldn't even fit into.
I was hoping you would have had the chance to sit in the new 2016 Miata to tell whether the drivers side had as much room as the current model.
We really like our Mini Coupe so much we would have considered trading for a newer 2015 if only they would have offered them with the newer BMW based engines.
Unfortunately, to my knowledge, no one other than the car magazine folks have had the opportunity to sit in or drive the new ND "MX-5". It was certainly not open to "test sitting" in Chicago; all roped off and I never saw either the hood or boot open. We were at the auto show with another couple (NB 2005 Turbo) who are definitely thinking of trading to the ND..but were concerned about footwell space in the new model. Only option offered was to wait for the model release later this summer/early fall at your local dealership. For us, that "wait" would cost us the "option" of trying out the MINI Roadster...a "now or never" proposition that I certainly hope was a good decision.

We like everything about the MINI...its unique and retro design, ability to order it exactly as desired and hopefully the BMW quality that we're experiencing in our '14 BMW 328 xDrive Sport Wagon (albeit I know the R59 does not have the new BMW engines). The MINI will also allow us to "upgrade" to some features not on our '08 Miata; heated seats, xenon headlights, auto dimming mirrors, HK stereo and connectively with iPhones and our personal music collections.

I appreciate your recommendation that we consider leasing verses purchase...we'll see what the incentives are in place upon delivery.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:54 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Awesome, we need pics when it get here. So sad to see the R58 / R59 go. Its like the last of the supercharged in the R52 Convertible days.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172