1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post, first Mini - '05 purple haze

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 02:55 PM
MiteyF
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First post, first Mini - '05 purple haze

New member here, and new Mini owner. I'd always liked the classic Mini's, but recently found an '05 at a used car lot with high miles (150k), needing shift cables and an O2 sensor. Got it for a song. Really, I was just looking for something to drive in the snow, as I ride my motorcycles the rest of the year.

I've had this car all of 2 days, and even with the sticky shifter, love the hell out of this thing. A great stablemate to my '62 VW... I love small cars...

I'm super excited to put some miles on her!

(only picture thus far, she's in the garage until I can order/install shift cables and get the O2 sensor in)

Name:  IMAG1545_zps15eepzgd.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  91.2 KB

My other car, which doesn't get driven hardly at all now that I've (temporarily) moved to Michigan... I've never been anywhere with worse roads, both in condition and fun-ness

Name:  4-14-134_zpsa46e19e5.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  102.9 KB

I was going to buy a pickup before I got the Mini, but decided the "pickup" I already own is plenty

Name:  IMAG0423_zps579d3fbe.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  119.3 KB

Old 10-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Eric Campbell
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have fun.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:34 PM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Love the Black Eyed Purple (the UK name for Purple Haze). It's one of the best MINI colors.

Have fun with it!

Old 10-05-2014, 07:15 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Welcome, I love the Beetle. I'm a closet classic bug guy.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-05-2014, 08:33 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome to the MINIacs!

Motor on!

Old 10-05-2014, 09:05 PM
R56BrgMcs
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice! That purple such a cool color, also the bug is rad.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:11 PM
MiteyF
2nd Gear
Thanks guys! The bug is my baby... built her from stock, love her to death.

Got the airbox on the Mini out today to begin on cables. Upon closer inspection, the cables were actually in great shape, it was the shift selector. Like others have reported, the bushing in the connecting arm for the 1/2, 3/4, 5/R was very tight, and lube didn't help. I made a bushing with some steel tube I had, along with a properly sized bolt/nut and threadlock. It's MUCH smoother now, but still tight, and will suffice until I find/buy a new selector... any selections?

Now it's just the O2 sensor (tomorrow or Wednesday) an I'll be ready to drive!

Oh, I also had to get rid of the BUTT UGLY checkered mirror covers. I'm glad it was easy, because it was bugging the **** out of me!

Old 10-07-2014, 10:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Wow congrats and what rare color to find : purple haze . Back in 2005 I did see some and one with a PH body/ PH top. Black Eyed Purple / " Purple haze " were the same thing two names.

+1 on the cables to check, but it looks like the shifter lug. Just get the new selector, makes it easier.

Looks like you have the silver hollies wheels as they are called. They do make them in white to match the top.

Good luck.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Piano Man
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that Bug a '69? Couldn't really see the back end or steering wheel. I had a '73 superbeatle a long time ago. Great in the snow with knobby snow tires :>)
Cool Purple Haze too. Enjoy!!

Old 10-07-2014, 05:13 PM
MiteyF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Piano Man
Is that Bug a '69? Couldn't really see the back end or steering wheel. I had a '73 superbeatle a long time ago. Great in the snow with knobby snow tires :>)
Cool Purple Haze too. Enjoy!!
She's a '62

Once I replenish the savings account, I'll be grabbing a new selector switch. however my McGayver fix seems to be working great for now!

Old 10-07-2014, 06:22 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Congrats on the mini!!
With a decent set of tires, a mini in the snow is a blast!!
Those 15 OEM imolla rims are the LIGHTEST OEM rims bay FAR and give the car a wonderfully tossable feel!! Folks often go to wider (and usually much heavier rims) and don't realize how much the feel of the car changes!!
Good find getting an 2005...the first year with the stronger more reliable getrag tranny....the midlands used from 2002-2004 has failures when driven hard!!
Realoem.com is a great site for skematics....
One tip...
BMW/mini does not stock/sell many parts...they expect you to just change the entire unit...
But one example is on the s tranny, folks found the ford focus svt used the same tranny...so we can get 6 speed parts when needed.....so on an s we can get the individual bushings for a couple cents...not sure what car the cooper tranny is shared with...but might be worth a few minutes of looking.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:26 PM
jr_R52
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
...folks found the ford focus svt used the same tranny...
This is why I love this site.

Nice car and welcome. Love the bug too. Back in the days I've had a 73, 79 (built in Mexico, and 74 Westphalia.

Happy motoring

Old 10-07-2014, 08:31 PM
SC R60
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Old 10-07-2014, 09:59 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice car, nice color. Did you destroy the checkerboard mirror covers when they came off? I might be interested.

Snow thoughts from a North Dakota native (so I know what I am talking about): The MINI is hands down the best car I have ever driven in the snow. All of the rear wheel drive Buicks and GMC trucks of my parents ended up in the ditch at one time or another, and the series of AMC products I owned fared little better.

The Imola Holies you have combined with the stock size tires (175/75R-15, Conti-pro-contact I believe) are absolutely great in the snow! Don't go wider as you will lose traction- the 175 tires cut through the snow to give you traction. When the going gets really tough break out a set of cable style chains and a MINI is virtually unstoppable. I work very early at a TV station and co-workers are amazed when I come to pick them up in the MINI. Snow has only stopped me once, when I came upon an unexpected snow ridge when they finally started to plow the streets (Seattle is terrible about this).

I find it easiest to pull the wheel off, put the chains on and then put the wheel back on due to the tight clearances behind the wheel. Plus, no rolling around in the snow! With practice, I can have my chains on in half an hour or less and be almost completely dry.

Enjoy the MINI in the snow, and give it frequent washings in the winter!

Bruce

Old 10-08-2014, 12:41 PM
MiteyF
2nd Gear
Zippy, that's wonderful advice, especially for someone who refuses to let other people work on his cars/bikes. Thanks! As for the wheels, they are far and away my favorite of the stock wheel choices, I'm quite happy with them!

Valvashon - yes, the mirror covers were destroyed. They were also badly faded, probably not worth saving/shipping. Speaking of snow and Seattle, I'm originally a WA resident too (grew up in Marysville, moved to Bellingham, and now I'm in Michigan for a few years while the fiance gets her PHD in chemistry). As for chains, it's actually illegal here to use chains or studs, and if it were to get that bad, I'd skip work. They salt the ever-living hell out of the roads here though... good thing the wheel wells in the mini are plastic eh?

EDIT: I think the Mini will be a bit better than my winter ride last year!

Name:  IMAG1120_zpsrlhmpn6n.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  103.2 KB