1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halfway to a new 2005 Mini S

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:22 AM
times
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halfway to a new 2005 Mini S

So I posted this morning and I'm in a state of complete terror. I really wanted a mini, I can't drive a manual (for a few reasons) and so I found this 2005 Mini S with 77,777 miles.

I have it under contract pending a clean bill of health with a state inspector since I am taking it back to Maryland from Virginia.

Everything seems to be going great, and last night on my way home the break light turns on. So I probably need new pads and it'll most likely fail inspection. I have to have the car state inspected but I'm worried with what I've read that this car could be one which will go up like others I've read about. I haven't taken it to the shop yet, I'm at work with a few hours to lunch.

The ride is stiff, and steering is stiff. Typical.
The shifting feels a little hard, and I wonder if that's normal when going 10-20 mph in city traffic. I'm normally a granny driver, gentle on the gas, gentle on the break--- coast, look for some clear road and speed up a bit, coast...I genuinely want this car to work out for me and to not be the who thrashes it.

There have been 2 other owners, and added about 10,000 miles per year (which is 4,000 less than an average commuter).

Body is clean, less a scratch on the drive side door panel. Fixable.

Tires appear to have decent tread.

I never should have spoken with a gear-head I know in England because he's put the fear of the whole thing going up on me--- plus the shame of it being an automatic and not a manual.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:51 AM
SpicyMaguro
4th Gear
Originally Posted by times
So I posted this morning and I'm in a state of complete terror. I really wanted a mini, I can't drive a manual (for a few reasons) and so I found this 2005 Mini S with 77,777 miles.
Why terrified? the mainenance cost?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 AM
times
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SpicyMaguro
Why terrified? the maintenance cost?
Yes, you don't want to spend $12,000 on a car only to turn around and have to replace the transmission, or the motor.

It seems like it was probably a lease, due to the low and consistent yearly miles.

I'm not a crazy person, but I was reading reviews and they are HORRIFYING. Cars catching on fire in the driveway and such.

I think--- part of all this has to do with miss handling of the vehicle and it sounds like a lot of complaints were specifically for 2003's.

My friend revised his statement after I told him that I thought about just taking it back to the dealer. If I don't drive like a complete nimrod I should get some years out of it.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:56 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Beware that the auto transmissions are prone to failure and are very expensive to fix. Even a fluid change on the auto trans is expensive.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:27 PM
ryan.humphris
1st Gear
That's good keep adding fuel to the fire. Relax and enjoy the car.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by times

I have it under contract pending a clean bill of health with a state inspector since I am taking it back to Maryland from Virginia.

Everything seems to be going great, and last night on my way home the break light turns on. So I probably need new pads and it'll most likely fail inspection. I have to have the car state inspected but I'm worried with what I've read that this car could be one which will go up like others I've read about. I haven't taken it to the shop yet, I'm at work with a few hours to lunch.

The ride is stiff, and steering is stiff. Typical.
The shifting feels a little hard, and I wonder if that's normal when going 10-20 mph in city traffic. I'm normally a granny driver, gentle on the gas, gentle on the break--- coast, look for some clear road and speed up a bit, coast...I genuinely want this car to work out for me and to not be the who thrashes it.

There have been 2 other owners, and added about 10,000 miles per year (which is 4,000 less than an average commuter).

Body is clean, less a scratch on the drive side door panel. Fixable.

Tires appear to have decent tread.

I never should have spoken with a gear-head I know in England because he's put the fear of the whole thing going up on me--- plus the shame of it being an automatic and not a manual.

Just enjoy your little car. Bad luck can come with any model and any year.
Congratulations and enjoy.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:41 PM
times
1st Gear
Relax everything is going to be--- holy crap I'm on fire.

I know it doesn't happen to everyone, it's just the fear it's going to happen to me, I've actually seen a bunch which seemed really happy. Tomorrow I'm taking it to the inspection site...

Everything sounds fine--- with the exception that the gas pedal is very moody when I'm going 5-10 mph. Traffic happens...and I get moody too going 5-10mph.

Thanks to all the people wishing me luck!! I still feel sick over it now...

Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 PM
bkosh84
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, I just bought a 08 Clubman two weeks ago and I took it to a MINI dealership (after I bought it) and asked them some questions about Carbon buildup and whatnot because I was worried about it. They told me that my concerns were only a big problem with the 'S' model and not as much as the normal Cooper.. After that I just calmed myself down and stopped worrying about the car. Plus, a lot of things that happen to cars in general, can be avoided by general maintenance (fluid/filter changes and whatnot)

I suggest looking into an extended warranty if you are really worried about what could happen.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
If you bought it, not much you can do. Post some pics and welcome to the family. Just remember to wave. If you did not, do some research on both generations and decide which would be better for you. Then shop for one and take your time. Unless you are desperate for a car, take the time to find the right one. You will know its right by your inner emotions. It will make you smile in delight

Last edited by Braminator; 01-12-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:39 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
I must be following Braminator here. Anyway, I ++++++and second all that he said. Enjoy it, **** happens.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:54 AM
times
1st Gear
Thanks! Part of the new car is the joy of finding a new mechanic--- poor guy, I think I talked his ear off on the ride back to my office. So it's undergoing state inspection now, and they'll give my the 411 on the car soon. They're somewhat familiar with the car and quoted me some pricing for all synthetic oil changes and would look into transmission flush.

Reports and photos coming soon, I've had nothing but rain and ice for a few days so...

Old 01-13-2012, 06:51 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
I'm not aware of engine or transmission (auto or otherwise) failures with the first generation MINI S. If the fire issue is bothering you (and only a handful died that way), then pay up for a comprehensive insurance policy. Where I live, it's not that much more. Yes, this car WILL have it's issues. But it's going to be more of a slow nickel-and-dime thing, than, a huge expenditure like a transmission or engine.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:58 AM
times
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Blackbomber
I'm not aware of engine or transmission (auto or otherwise) failures with the first generation MINI S. If the fire issue is bothering you (and only a handful died that way), then pay up for a comprehensive insurance policy. Where I live, it's not that much more. Yes, this car WILL have it's issues. But it's going to be more of a slow nickel-and-dime thing, than, a huge expenditure like a transmission or engine.
THANK YOU.

Although the break light was on, the shop said they looked practically new. Is it just a bug? The circle with 6 dots around it? Low breaks, right?

It also needs to have the VA inspection removed and the tint has to be approved by a State Trooper.

There were two other things they said to note:

Dry rot around the gas cap and leaking CV joints. The mechanic said it would be about $500 to replace (due to labor) and that in the long run I would need to fix that-- so I don't know how long I have before that is on the MUST HAPPEN NOW list.

In addition I need to price up the transmission flush and oil changes.
(I'm full of excuses, but I work a ton so it's cheaper to know what I'd be looking at for the future, then say I'll do it in the future).

Otherwise, he said the car was in good shape.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Brake light could be a $20 sensor. Maybe you should take it to a Mini Dealer get a 2nd opinion.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 AM
times
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
Brake light could be a $20 sensor. Maybe you should take it to a Mini Dealer get a 2nd opinion.
I owned a E36 BMW, and I did the breaks, rotors and sensors before...maintenance is a love/hate relationship. The breaks on the mini felt sticky, which if it's not due to new break pads, it's due to the lack of pads. :( The mech said that they looked 'fat' / newish. I think they look at all 4 wheels, otherwise I could see being concerned with uneven wear. It's something I have to ask when I see them in person again.

The sensor, maybe it came loose and made contact, or went bad. I'd have to look--- the rain/sleet and snow has kept me from creeping under the mini.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Factory CV axles are roughly $500 EACH (someone correct me if not). They tend to last a long time if cared for, so if replacing the boots now prevents axle replacement down the road (add the $500 labor to the $1k in parts), it seems like money well spent. I don't know if that $500 is a good price, though. I just did my passenger side (more difficult) axle after work one night in my driveway without a lift. I want to say it took 2 hours, but I doubt it was even that long. If I had a lift, and more experience, I'm sure I could R&R both in that time. Obviously that doesn't include changing the boots, but that's the far lesser part of the job - especially if you have a good solvent tank (I always clean and re-grease).

I don't work on MINI other than my own, and really don't know about the various lights. The pad wear system on these cars is a normally closed circuit. If the connection to the pad sensor is bad or disconnected, it could trigger a false positive. There may also be a fluid level and or pressure indicator, as well as ABS/ASC/DSC, although I believe there are separate lights for the last three. There might also be a light that is on when car is in park with engine running, telling you that you need to depress the brake pedal to engage one of the driving ranges in your automatic.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 AM
times
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Blackbomber
Factory CV axles are roughly $500 EACH (someone correct me if not). They tend to last a long time if cared for, so if replacing the boots now prevents axle replacement down the road (add the $500 labor to the $1k in parts), it seems like money well spent. I don't know if that $500 is a good price, though. I just did my passenger side (more difficult) axle after work one night in my driveway without a lift. I want to say it took 2 hours, but I doubt it was even that long. If I had a lift, and more experience, I'm sure I could R&R both in that time. Obviously that doesn't include changing the boots, but that's the far lesser part of the job - especially if you have a good solvent tank (I always clean and re-grease).

I don't work on MINI other than my own, and really don't know about the various lights. The pad wear system on these cars is a normally closed circuit. If the connection to the pad sensor is bad or disconnected, it could trigger a false positive. There may also be a fluid level and or pressure indicator, as well as ABS/ASC/DSC, although I believe there are separate lights for the last three. There might also be a light that is on when car is in park with engine running, telling you that you need to depress the brake pedal to engage one of the driving ranges in your automatic.

When you do the boots, don't you also have to do an alignment? For some reason the cost doesn't seem completely horrible, but I also don't have that sort of cash just around. And it passes inspection, otherwise. I wonder if they took it for a joy ride....

I am relieved to hear that the car is in otherwise good condition. I thought it might just be low fluid, if the pads actually are new (which sometimes happens).

Old 01-13-2012, 08:19 AM
times
1st Gear
PS. Thanks for engaging my post with all your input.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:54 PM
times
1st Gear
I called the (used) dealer and they are going to fix the CV boots, at no cost to me...

Also the brake light went out and hasn't returned and the brakes are fine, according to the report.