1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Mini vs. Convertible Beetle

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Cxracer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible Mini vs. Convertible Beetle

Hi All,

I'm planning to get my wife a fun (used) car for Christmas.

I have a 91 Miata project / track car that I have done a lot of work on. This was supposed to be a fun car we could share but the truth is that with two kids it's pretty hard for her ever to get a chance to drive it and with all the mods for track you have to be careful driving over speed bumps etc. My wife is used to driving her Toyota highlander so sometimes she forgets about the clearance issues. I got a '72 Datsun 240z that needed a new engine and that was going to be her "classic" sports car to drive around but it has proven to be really difficult for me to get the parts and time to get it going. Also, once again with the kids there are few times she could drive it since it only has 2 seats.

Ok, so my wife deserves a fun car two and she really wants something "cute" with a convertible top and seats 4. We will hold onto the highlander since it's paid off and very useful but not "cute" or "fun". Now, I like cars that are small and sporty so I'm leaning towards a convertible Cooper but I have a feeling my wife may like the cute factor of the convertible bug more.

So as owners of the Mini (particularly the convertible) please tell me some of the tactics I could take to convince my wife that the Mini is a better car and just as "cute" as a beetle. Also if we do decide on the Mini what should I be looking for and watching out for when evaluating used convirtible Minis on the market.

I really want my wife to feel she got the car she wanted so I have to play a very low pressure game when steering her toward the Mini.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Cxracer
Ok, so my wife deserves a fun car two and she really wants something "cute" with a convertible top and seats 4. We will hold onto the highlander since it's paid off and very useful but not "cute" or "fun". Now, I like cars that are small and sporty so I'm leaning towards a convertible Cooper but I have a feeling my wife may like the cute factor of the convertible bug more.

So as owners of the Mini (particularly the convertible) please tell me some of the tactics I could take to convince my wife that the Mini is a better car and just as "cute" as a beetle. Also if we do decide on the Mini what should I be looking for and watching out for when evaluating used convertible Minis on the market.
OK cxracer--even though I'm not a convertible owner, I've had a Cooper S for a long time and will share what I think on the persuasion part.

Forget about any facts between the two cars, performance or otherwise. Most women just don't care about the "lame-brain" stuff us guys drool over. Turbos this --Getrag that. Who cares? I believe you need to reach her feelings and that can only be done with experiencing the vehicle. Let's face it, neither the bug or Mini are that good looking with the top up. Dullsville dude.

But look at either car with the top down, and wow!~punch your pooch~ the MINI will jump up and kiss you on the cheek. The dullsville convertible MINI --now with the top down, in either standard or in S trim, is transformed into what really looks like a FUN car. The chromed tip saftey headrests, 4 bucket seats and retro sport styling just beg you to drive the car. It's transformed into a mini hot rod with just the right amount of hipness. But don't stop at looking at the MINI with the top down ---DRIVE IT topless! I believe this will convince her. PS: Since it's December, I hope you are in Florida!

You can't show your total affection for the MINI or this test wouldn't be perceived fair. Wipe off all the lip stick from your MINI test drive and do the same with the Bug. Top up or top down the Bug looks and drives like a tomato squished between four wheels. The V-dub is not a bad car, but it's far from great. The bug is one of the worst rated Volkswagans on the market in reliability, and resell value tells the story. The VW Beatle has lowest resell values of the brand and the MINI has one of the highest of all cars.

Please keep us up to date on which ride wins the "topless" contest.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
So, MCSfanboy doesn't drive a drophead. So what, he gets it. When the kids drifted off and we could start doing our thing again, there was no question. For pure fun, crowd appeal, hard to believe comfortable back seats, fun, pretty good economy, safety and crash survivability and did I mention fun, you can't beat the Cooper cabrio either justa or S. Visit the detailing pages to help keep it sparkling like new and she'll love every minute of having it. I still wander out to the garage once in a while and just stare at ours. What other car made can make an old guy do that?

Old 12-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Cxracer
1st Gear
Ok, stage one complete. We test drove 2 convertable bugs (auto and stick) and one auto convertible Mini. She really likes the look of the bug and I have to admit that it has a lot of room inside and a larger trunk than I expected. The first bug's top had a problem and wouldn't go all the way down (it was the Turbo model with an auto) and the interior and exterior were pretty beat. The other was an 07 with 2.5L and stick. The whole reverse is left and up through my wife a bit but otherwise it was good. When we popped the trunk we found water on the inside and a little mold on the carpet. Not a good sign since it was dealer certified.

It took some convincing to get her to try out the Mini. The one in the dealership across the street that I wanted her to test with a stick had been taken off the lot to repair the top so we ended up trying an auto one dealer down the line. The guy who gave us the test drive knew nothing about the car and it took a few min to figure out how to put down the top all the way. Once we were inside it was a little more cramped and my seating would have been better if I didn't have a 6 foot tall guy sitting behind me (I'm 6'1"). We also noticed the tank was on empty (I mean well below the red line). The guy said it would be fine for a quick drive so we took city streets and luckily some with curves. I noticed to my surprise that my wife started driving a little faster and was throwing the car around a little in the corners.

Everytime she took a fast corner I could see a hint of a smile then a a slight annoyed sigh. Petty soon she turned to me and said "Damn you!". That was followed by "you are so smug right now". I guess my poker face is not what I thought it was.

So she agrees that the Cooper is the better car but is still in love with the looks of the bug. The next step is to find the right color to make her fall for the Cooper. I think maybe Astro Blue will do it but first I'll have to get her over the fact that I was right (that's probably the biggest hurtle).

Old 12-24-2010, 12:57 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same situation. Wife wanted a mini or beetle. She ended up with a mini. I drove her mini 50 feet and was jealous. 6 Weeks later, I bought one for myself.

She says all the time how glad she is that she decided on the mini. "I see the beetles and now I don't like them as much." So...YMMV, but count one happy wife "and me" loving the minis.

Looking at VWs I learned, autos can have issues, windows too, and have seen a few with the windows taped up. Just an FYI.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Cxracer
1st Gear
Oh, did I mention that we ran out of gas 3 min walk from the dealership.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:47 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
When you are dealing with "looks", it is in the eye of the beholder, logic doesn't count. Good luck!

Old 12-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe if she;s into tabloids she can find a celeb here that she can relate to http://coolspotters.com/cars/mini-cooper-bmw/spots. Doesnt do anything for me but to each their own.

The Beetle with the top down, when viewed from the back, has got to be one of the ugliest vehicles ever

Old 12-25-2010, 07:28 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Cxracer
Everytime she took a fast corner I could see a hint of a smile then a a slight annoyed sigh. Petty soon she turned to me and said "Damn you!". That was followed by "you are so smug right now". I guess my poker face is not what I thought it was.
Great job cxracer, your first phase was executed with 007 precision. Please keep that smirk on your face in check however. She knows you are up to something.

I agree color can make a huge difference. It's time to turn on the MINI Dream Maker machine for maximum neuronal activity and inspiration. Not only do you want to look at available colors, but also available options (don't forget heated seats!) that will melt the icing on those baby cakes --so to speak.

Execute dream maker mission:
http://www.miniusa.com/#/build/configurator/mini_conv-m

Don't worry about the price once she configures her dream car --trust me-- it will likely cost more than you want to pay. Don't worry about it. This is winter, and in most states convertibles just don't sell well below freezing for some reason. That means NOW is the time to buy! Most MINI dealers will likely have a used one (or can find one through the network) that will meet your color/option requirements and save you big $$$.

Now is the time to start talking options, colors, wheels, and whatever else is important to her. Let it by her dream car. Otherwise, it will just be another car to her. Let her find her dream car, and she will love both you and the car. By the way, suggest she name the car. Many MINI owners do. It's all part of the bonding process. Feeling jealous yet?
All of us on NAM are wishing you the best, and please keep us updated.