1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think MINI is ever going to accept responsibility

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:43 PM
rlmiller9
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think MINI is ever going to accept responsibility

for the crummy transmissions they put in the early model cars?
Is there any class action or anything going on with that anyone knows of ?

Thanks other than the average quality of the car we love our 2005 and are thrilled that we only leased it!@!!

Old 02-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is your first post? By 2005 the midlands was replaced in the Cooper and the S's have never had common transmission problems. Even the midlands was perfectly adequate under stock power levels and in day-to-day driving, it just didn't stand up to absue. So what was your problem or are you just a troll I'm feeding?

Old 02-15-2009, 07:09 PM
rlmiller9
Neutral
Troll, ok I was not aware this was going to be name calling

I challenge you to try to drink a cup of coffee while driving this through a parking lot!!!
The car and tranny are just not smooth at all, it is very herky jerky.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
I don't drink coffee but I've never had a problem being smooth in my car. Not smooth isn't a transmission problem.
I'm assuming you have a Cooper with the CVT, not the greatest transmission ever but it's only jerky at very low speeds as the electronic computer has to slip the wet-plate clutch a bit to maintain the lower speeds, it doesn't have a normal torque converter like other automatics. I've noticed similar conditions in other CVTs (Audi A4s for example) so it's the nature of that type of transmission rather than any fault of BMW or MINI.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:52 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
You have a 2005? As stated by others, that was a good year. What transmission do you have?

In regards to smoothness, the early CVTs had poor software programming that was adjusted in subsequent updates (and although on these forums the Midlands wasn't know for its reliability the majority of people have had no problems.) Any transmission has its own characteristics (foibles) that the owner should understand to make the most of it. When I first drove a MINI I thought it wasn't smooth, but I quickly realized all the cars I'd driven before had lethargic reflexes that dulled my inputs while the MINI transmitted every feeling directly. I've become a better driver due to owning MINIs as it has made me smoother with my inputs. I appreciate and realize the directness gives me more control and I actually feel safer (I do have to concentrate a bit more, but who ever said that was a bad thing?) Not to toot my own horn, but driving with a friend the other day, she remarked how she couldn't believe I was driving a manual with how smooth it was (and she was holding both of our coffees (Peets Coffee of course )) Toot! It's possible.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:16 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rlmiller9,

please identify for us whether you have an automatic or manual tranny for your MINI. I think we're all assuming you have an automatic, but let's just be sure...

Secondly, have you taken it to your dealer, and if so, what have they told you?

Are you running a bit low on transmission fluid, perhaps, (just grasping for straws now...).

Old 02-16-2009, 05:46 AM
rlmiller9
Neutral
Hello again and thanks for the responses, yes it is an automatic.
That is the freaky part my other car is 87Saab stick which is smoother at the slow speeds, cause I can control it.

What really soured me was a friend who has an 07 (maybe an 08) and had it at the dealership and mentioned my displeasure with my 05 to one of the service guys and the guy said why becuase of the bucking and made a back and forth gesture. At that point it was clear to me to be a well known issue that is proly not easily solvable.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:40 AM
SteveB625
4th Gear
rlmiller9,
Welcome to NAM.
If your MINI has more than ~30K miles and has never had the CVT fluid changed, then that would be a good first step. Also, the dealer would upgrade the transmission control software to the latest and greatest in which case the low speed bucking should go away. Mine has 36K on it and does not exhibit this behavior. IMHO this service should only be done by a MINI dealer and it is not cheap. The fluid change for mine was $250. This fluid is some special concoction that is made for CVT trannys with the metal belt and is itself very expensive. The refill and bleeding procedure is quite involved, also.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:32 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you lease your car new or used?

If you're unhappy with the CVT, you might consider a new Cooper or Cooper S that have the 6 speed Aisin automatic transmission instead of the CVT when your lease is up........

I know a number of people who have '02 to '06 CVT's and I don't remember any of them complaining of low speed bucking. In fact, the only complaints I've ever heard on the CVT is when they fail completely - and I have to wonder how many of those are due to lack or service/low fluid.........

Old 02-16-2009, 12:40 PM
rlmiller9
Neutral
My Car came with 40K free service

so if it needed anything like that it would have should have gotten it.

I am frankly quite surprised that the transmission quirkieness is such a surprise to a site like this? I could post links to other sites where it is well known but I do not want to start any flame wars.

Ray

Old 02-16-2009, 01:35 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
The CVT isn't news here and the problems with the CVT are why MINI went to the AISIN tranny for the 2nd gen cars. I'm not sure where you got the idea that anyone was surprised that you were complaining about it... I didn't read that in the above posts. What I read were a bunch of great folks who love their cars, who were trying to help you figure out why you aren't happy with yours.

Do understand that you have dropped onto a board for enthusiasts for the MINI. This place is positively packed with people who love their cars and want to share their love for their car with other people who feel the same way. The folks here are very generous with advice and are happy to help by sharing their own experiences with their MINI. If you can step back from your frustration for a moment, I think you will realize that you've come to the right place and that the people here are going to be a great resource for you and your MINI.

Don't take it so hard when people make suggestions, they just want to help you love your car. That's what we're here for, sharing the love.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:04 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
Last time I checked having a difficult-to-modulate transmission was not grounds for a class-action lawsuit. Although the coffee idea has promise...you could spill some hot coffee while attempting to drive around a parking lot. You would get MINI for designing first-gen cars that wont hold a Venti Starbucks in the cupholder that forced you to hold the cup while the CVT's jerkiness caused the actual spill and subsequent scalding. I won't tell your lawyer I gave you the idea first, I just ask for a factory JCW as a thank you gift when you get your settlement