1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello and Test Drive question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 05:07 PM
ripperj
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello and Test Drive question

I have been hanging out here for a couple months and figured I would say Hi.
I took an 07 S out for a drive a few weeks ago. I think I'm hooked!!! I'm kind of bummed about the reliablity as I have been driving Toyotas for the last 2 decades, but am going to get one anyway!

Here is a question(actually 2) I live in central CT and wondered what people think of New Country Mini Service Dept? I figure I will be there a lot and hope they are good.

The second question concerns the test drive, I have purchased many cars some for many $$$$ more than a mini and have been allowed to take a car out with my wife for an hour or so. The Mini people acted like I wanted to take their right leg!. "we can't possibly let you take it out alone!" I got over that pretty quick but even with the dealer in the car we just were able to go around the block by the Hartford Dump?

Do these things sell so well that the dealers don't even have to let people take them out for a real test drive?

The last SUV i bought they let me take it for a whole afternoon.

I understand that some people probaby beat the crap out of them and then don't buy, by come on!

thanks Keith

Old 12-26-2007, 04:34 PM
i8chilis
2nd Gear
My first test drive was with the dealer in the car, but the second and third were without the dealer, and without any constraints.
The "sells so well" aspect is actually kind of nice, because they don't have to pressure you with the "What will it take to get you to buy this car today?" nonsense. The car grows on you, you order one, and you spend a lot of time reading posts on NAM while you wait for it to arrive. At least, that's been my experience so far.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:44 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ripperj
I'm kind of bummed about the reliablity as I have been driving Toyotas for the last 2 decades, but am going to get one anyway!

Do these things sell so well that the dealers don't even have to let people take them out for a real test drive?
My dad and I have 2006 models, no reliability issues. On the other hand, seems that some new Toyotas have not made the Consumers Reports recommended list due to poor reliability! Consumer Reports said it no longer recommends V6 versions of Toyota's Camry or four-wheel-drive V8 versions of its Tundra pick-up because of poor reliability.

As far as the test drive, my first one with the MA was about 15 miles on some curvy roads..

My second test drive was with my wife and kids, no MA.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:30 AM
ripperj
Neutral
I guess I did imply that Toyota could'nt possibly have a problem , I have had real good luck with all of mine, but know of others that did not make out so well. Glad to hear your Minis are working out.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:51 AM
Magnify-a-Mini
2nd Gear
I would ask if you can take it by yourself it they don't offer.

Last edited by Magnify-a-Mini; 01-20-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:30 AM
ripperj
Neutral
The MA told me that their insurance prohibits people taking the mini out without the MA in the car. Seems like BS to me.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:50 AM
piccolo
2nd Gear
my first test drive was with the MA, the 2nd was alone - he even let me drive it to pick my girlfriend up to see if she liked it (probably had the mini alone for an hour).

its weird they won't let you go it alone.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:13 AM
RVExotics
5th Gear
I test drove with my partner and my MA (and he's not a little guy and was in the back seat!). I never thought to ask if I could test drive alone, and I was so nervous I actually wanted him with me anyway. I hadn't done a huge amount of research on all the little quirks and gadgets, and one of my biggest fears of all time is that I'd get into an accident while test driving.

A week prior, I was able to test drive - well, test ride, as it was a manual and I can't drive them yet - a used MINI from a Toyota dealership. We were allowed to get in and take off. We also test drove a Prius because at the time, I was seriously considering them. No comparison, none at all, obviously.

It was a very different experience from the BMW/MINI dealership, but I preferred the experience with MINI. There was never any overt or implied pressure to buy. Some people may perceive the attitude as snobbish, and I've seen a few posts here from people who feel they've been snubbed and I really hate that they were treated that way, but I really liked the "We're here if you have any questions, but we're not going to be on you like a flock of vultures" kind of attitude.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:15 AM
wbdenco
Neutral
I took a test drive before I ordered my mc and again after I ordered. Both times the MA let me drive alone. I didn't even have to ask! They just tossed me the key fob and said "Turn left from the dealership and have a good time." My dealer is Ralph Schomp in Colorado. So it's probably the dealer's policy and not BMW/MINI.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:18 AM
terrytrucker
2nd Gear
My MA turned me loose alone the first day i walked into the showroom! She told me to take my time and enjoy. She only wanted me to have it back before they closed.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Shellbell
5th Gear
Totally depends on the dealership! We let people take cars out on their own & are flexable about how long they can stay out except on Saturdays when we're much more busy!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:29 AM
terrytrucker
2nd Gear
Although I am happy with the test drive experience from my dealership, I will never buy from them again because of their poor service after the sale.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Coolny29
1st Gear
I also had to go out the MA, the same insurance BS you got. But the guy was very friendly explained ton of stuff of the car and we ended driving more than 30 minutes around different types of roads, all which convinced my this was the car for me.

Last edited by Coolny29; 12-27-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Spelling