1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for a Dragon Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 08:55 PM
subiedriver
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for a Dragon Newbie

Hello to all of you who have driven the Dragon.

I'm picking up Fish, see sig below, on Monday in Ft. Lauderdale FL and will be driving it up north to it's home in Toledo, OH. I solicited suggestions for diversions along the way and one of you mentioned the "tail of the Dragon". After looking into it a little all I can say is OMG!!! !!!.

Why haven't I known about this??? Anyway, this is now the focus of the drive. (heck, life!)
Please offer any suggestions y'all might think of. To put this into context, my outgoing ride is a Subaru WRX Wagon that I successfully raced in regional SCCA autocross in D-Stock class.

Autocross is perfect for NW Ohio, there's no terrain to drive so we make up our own in a big parking lot, lol, but it does not substitute for a real wind in your hair, cheeks split open as wide as the throttle, twisty bit of road.

I'm sure some have you have only driven this piece of heaven once or twice and I'd welcome your perspective. Then there's those of you, whom, I'm sure, have driven it over a hundred times (kinda like the "Rocky Horror Picture Show", some got it and saw it repeatedly, others chuckled and saw it the once).

Tell me what makes this drive special to YOU...

Thanks

Oh yeah, I'M PICKING FISH UP ON MONDAY!!!!!! (sorry, little excited here)

Old 09-30-2007, 03:34 AM
Mr Skurvy
2nd Gear
LEO Patrols are up at the moment. Especially on weekends.
Start at Deals Gap on the NC side and stay at or below speed limit of 30 till you get to the ends. If all clear and you desire a faster pace then proceed carefully back to the NC side.

Also check out the Cherohala Skyway or better yet make the full loop..
To know the latest goings on I always start here - http://dealsgap.com/

Have Fun!

Old 09-30-2007, 04:20 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by subiedriver
Hello to all of you who have driven the Dragon.

I'm picking up Fish, see sig below, on Monday in Ft. Lauderdale FL and will be driving it up north to it's home in Toledo, OH. I solicited suggestions for diversions along the way and one of you mentioned the "tail of the Dragon". After looking into it a little all I can say is OMG!!! !!!.

Why haven't I known about this??? Anyway, this is now the focus of the drive. (heck, life!)
Please offer any suggestions y'all might think of. To put this into context, my outgoing ride is a Subaru WRX Wagon that I successfully raced in regional SCCA autocross in D-Stock class.

Autocross is perfect for NW Ohio, there's no terrain to drive so we make up our own in a big parking lot, lol, but it does not substitute for a real wind in your hair, cheeks split open as wide as the throttle, twisty bit of road.

I'm sure some have you have only driven this piece of heaven once or twice and I'd welcome your perspective. Then there's those of you, whom, I'm sure, have driven it over a hundred times (kinda like the "Rocky Horror Picture Show", some got it and saw it repeatedly, others chuckled and saw it the once).

Tell me what makes this drive special to YOU...

Thanks

Oh yeah, I'M PICKING FISH UP ON MONDAY!!!!!! (sorry, little excited here)
contact me when you are heading north and I will give some great roads through N GA on the way to the Dragon.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:13 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And remember that there are lots of fantastic roads in North Carolina where they actually WANT you to come visit. The roads in NC are generally 55mph unless otherwise posted.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Thumper460
4th Gear
The whole thrill, to me , on the Dragon... is KEEPING on my side of the yellow line.. make a better "Drive" when you have to stay there..yes!! It is an open road.. and HUGE Semi's and HUGE trailers travel the road the same time your there.. and when they make the tight turns... the trailers are WAY over on your side, and some times right up against the wall on your side.. so be aware!! sux becoming an undercarriage..lol yes??

The people up there are happy to see ya and usually are truly helpful in anything you need or want..

Have fun.. some times stop and look around.. it is the best on the east coast!!

Just me..................................

Thumper

Old 09-30-2007, 09:22 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Read my post on your other thread, as it reiterates what the ones before me had to say.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:26 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, honor the yellow line and remember there may be a mom and car full of kids coming around the next blind curve. Or a semi. Picture whatever will keep you clear of the yellow!

It's great fun. Lots of good drives and great scenery in the area. It's also best driven during the week when you see fewer people trying to drive with their ego instead of their head.