1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a case of the Mini

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:08 PM
MiniMedic
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a case of the Mini

Hi everybody! (hi doctor nick!) so here's my story. i just graduated from paramedic school. yay! it was 3015 hours in 16 months. it was hell. so my present to myself, i decided to buy a car. i've always like the mini (watching the italian job the night before didn't hurt any) but was sure it wasn't for me, for the laundry list of reasons i'm sure you all went through too. but i went to the dealer anyway. and my young and very helpful MA Mica, suggested i test drive a blue 07 S. after she said "let me show you some stuff cause we don't go with you" i started to get that grin. you know the one. the single raised eyebrow, glare at the round thing they call a key, and the, "hey thats pretty cool" frown and 2 raised eyebrows when you hit the start button. Now i've never owned a new car so i was very impressed with all the stuff goin on inside the car. "hmmm, sport button. *press* wonder what that does...". i left the lot and decided to get right down to it and see how wimpy this little motor was. revs climbing in first, "hey not bad". ****** second gear, and the incedental movement of my left hand almost put me in the guard rail. "OH *****!" still on the gass and no time to reflect now, cause 3rd gear is calling. I answer it, and honest to god, let a "YAHHH HOOO!" out the sunroof. tearing down the frontage road in 5th, that little voice says to slow down. the louder voice says,"i think i found another gear". 15 minutes later i came sliding back into the lot. i then spent 5 minutes opening and closing the door just to see the window go up and down on it's own. so now i'm picking up mad overtime shifts to get the down payment together. i really want to buy a used one as i hate to eat the deprectiation of a new car, but wow this thing is hot. and it's pretty dang cool that they build one just for me. so, see you on the tarmac in about 6 months! good to be here!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:14 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Welcome to the NAMily. Pull up a seat and a 5-point harness. You're in for a wild ride.

*passes the glass* have some more Kool-Aid. You've officially been assimilated.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, these things are a blast.

Welcome.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:43 PM
wscruiser
3rd Gear
Go ahead and save your pennies. But don't be suprised when you price a used one. MINIs in general don't depreciate like most other vehicles. You may find yourself paying almost as much for a used one as you would for a new one with the factory warranty and included maintenance.

Welcome to NAM and enjoy your journey.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:45 PM
pinkMINIgirl
3rd Gear
What an entertaining story! Welcome!
They really are great cars, you can't go wrong in a MINI! Good luck! . . . and congrats on the completion of your 3,000+hour course!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First - Congrats on your HUGE accomplishment Second - Welcome to NAM You definitely deserve to treat yourself. We'll all be here with ya!

Donna

Old 08-15-2007, 10:33 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
I just had a huge flash back/deja vu moment there. But I had to keep the speed down as my MA did go with me...

Welcome to La Familia...

Old 08-16-2007, 07:07 AM
andyde
5th Gear
MimiMedic- Great story
I hope you are able to jump into one soon, what you described there is what most us go through, including myself...... if you start loosing sleep, it is time !

Old 08-16-2007, 04:52 PM
soul embrace
6th Gear
welcome to NAM!!!

Old 08-16-2007, 05:07 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Your story mimics mine. I've been interested in the "new MINIs" since seeing them at the San Francisco Auto show around 2001. Probably didn't help that my uncle had a '67 classic (boy that thing was cool!)

Fast forward to my final year of college (2005) - I was over in Miami Beach for spring break and decided to test drive a MINI. Test drove the Cooper S and pretty much had the same reaction you did! From then on, I decided to put the MCS at the top of my 'graduation present to self' list.

Found my '04 MCS on craigslist, it had pretty much all the options I wanted (except Cold Weather pkg) and I've been smiling ever since!

Congrats on your accomplishment, and welcome to NAM!