MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006, 07:59 AM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Service Engine Soon light - what does it mean?

Hey folks,

I was starting the car this morning and the Service Engine Soon light came on and stay lit. Car's running fine, and I'm still 5k miles to the next suggested service. Shutdown and restart and the light's still there (sounds like a PC doesn't it??) Anybody know what they light is for?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:02 AM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to mdsbrain Send a message via AIM to mdsbrain Send a message via MSN to mdsbrain Send a message via Yahoo to mdsbrain
Gallery
Could be any number of things. Maybe have your local AutoZone check the code for you or your local dealer. Also double-check your gas cap is on right
R56 12
LiB/B MCSm Born 10/13/11 Bought 10/31/11 Home 11/5/11. CW, TP, SP, Sunroof, Xenon w/B Housings, AnthraciteHeadliner, Tint, JCW CF door handles, JCW CF Spoiler, JCW STB, DDM Street CAI, Stubby, Black grill, Black R98, JB+
Old 01-27-2006, 10:31 AM
5th Gear

Gallery
I vote for the gas cap check first. If that doesn't solve it, find out the problem code.

05 MCS BEP Alta 22mm rear anti-swaybar, Madness CAI, Alta 15% pulley, NGK-BRK7EIX, M7 Strut Tower Reinforcement plates, BSH Lower engine mount
Old 01-27-2006, 11:16 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
As strange as it may seem(harmless sarcasm)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea
Hey folks,

I was starting the car this morning and the Service Engine Soon light came on and stay lit. Car's running fine, and I'm still 5k miles to the next suggested service. Shutdown and restart and the light's still there (sounds like a PC doesn't it??) Anybody know what they light is for?

Thanks in advance.
your owners manual has the answer. All you have to do is read it. I know that's a lot to ask(more harmless sarcasm), but there you have the easiest answer/solution.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:04 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred3
your owners manual has the answer. All you have to do is read it. I know that's a lot to ask(more harmless sarcasm), but there you have the easiest answer/solution.

doubtful.

as above SES can be triggered by MANY different parameters.

i would also suggest taking it into Autozone and get the code read. they can tell you what triggered it. (i have my own OBDII reader and can clear it at home).

why don't you use your computer that your on and search what DTC's and SES is all about? (inside joke for FL tolls)
Old 01-30-2006, 07:25 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
Well the gas cap didn't seem make a difference. As some of you might seen before the SES light goes off on it's own with nothing done to it. It doesn't bother me but I just want to know what happened.....once again, thank you guys for helping out.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:48 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Mine was the knock sensor on a '05 MCS. Took it into the dealer and it was a 4 hour job! (albeit free)
Old 01-30-2006, 11:23 PM

Gallery
Could be a zillion different things. Mine was a "burned out wheel sensor." (Service Advisor's words.)

As my Service Advisor explained to me, what the SES light really means is that something has raised a flag and the computer is signalling that you need to bring the car in to the dealer.
JCW Intake, M7 16% Pulley, Milltek exhaust, Mintex RedBox Brake Pads
Old 01-31-2006, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
Garage
Even if your light shut-off, wouldn't hurt to check all fluid levels, caps tight, air filter clean and hose connections, then if it turns on again go to your local AutoZone get the code and find out what triggered the light to go off in the first place.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:39 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Mini has a fix for the service light. I got it and it has never come back on again. ski
Old 11-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Neutral

Gallery
I tried going to AutoZone and they don't have a read out code for Mini's or Beamers..
Old 11-24-2013, 02:06 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Brookside View Post
I tried going to AutoZone and they don't have a read out code for Mini's or Beamers..

Wow, nothing like reviving a generic thread that's 7 years old.

They can read it, you might not get some of the specific codes, but they should have at least tried.

2013 MCSa – Kite Blue – JCW Aero Kit – GP2 Diffuser - Manic Stage 2+
Akrapovic Exhaust – DOS Intake – Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers
NM Eng – 22 mm Rear Sway Bar – Front/Rear End Links – Strut Tower Bar – Engine Torque Arm Insert
Forge Intercooler – Aquamist HFS-4
Old 11-24-2013, 02:06 PM