Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Fuel filter missing ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM
pawea
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter missing ?

Hi folks decided to replace the fuel filter today due to my idle misfire issues on my 2007 cooper justa not S.........

When i removed the cover for the fuel filter and removed the housing ..............WTF....WTF..... LOL the fuel filter is missing or at least this housing doesn't have a filter installed this housing looks different from ones ive seen online....same with the other cover nothing under there either..........

Anybody shed any light on this.........

Name:  IMG_6532_zps51c90f11.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  89.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6533_zpse736783c.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6537_zpsea7d1781.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  43.7 KB

Old 06-12-2014, 04:11 PM
pawea
2nd Gear
I am getting that sinking feeling that this could be the source of all my idle and bad running problems......has some f*ckin imbecille put the wrong fuel pump/sender into the car in this case a cooper S into a Justa ?......looking on ebay and real oem a 2007 r56 justa sender is supposed to look like this....also i noticed when i bought the car the fuel guage seemed to take forever to drop from full to half and once the fuel level dropped thats when the idle and eml light came on.....What The good suffering *****...lol this is gonna be fun if thats what it was all along lol

Name:  _57_zps58385a4a.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  231_zpsd7cb17b0.png
Views: 433
Size:  7.6 KB

Old 06-12-2014, 04:35 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
One tip...
Is it a mini one or a cooper....
There are differences....

Old 06-12-2014, 04:43 PM
pawea
2nd Gear
my car is a cooper 2007 according to real oem my tank has one hole and a pump/filter/sender all in once unit....the one i discovered in my car is from a CONVERTIBLE lol with no fuel filter enclosed......any wonder the damm car was running rough lol

Old 06-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pawea
my car is a cooper 2007 according to real oem my tank has one hole and a pump/filter/sender all in once unit....the one i discovered in my car is from a CONVERTIBLE lol with no fuel filter enclosed......any wonder the damm car was running rough lol
Your big question should be why was it changed at all. Is it a new tank? If so, was the car hit or was there a contamination issue.

Just say’in.

///Me

Old 06-12-2014, 06:32 PM
pawea
2nd Gear
Well spotted man the was indeed hit at the back a few years ago........so someone prob changed the tank as a complete unit having said that the tank looks like the correct one for my year and model with a single fuel/pump/ sender instead of the twin hole tanks with separate filter and pump/ sender I've seen ..........fingers crossed this is my problem surely having no fuel filter could cause idle issues and rough running.......the more I think about it it seems to happen more when the fuel level drops below half..........

Old 06-12-2014, 07:09 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
That is important info....
Ruffer when below half...
Another poster in a gen1 car found a spit in tank rubber hose that was part of the fuel pump/sender assembly....resulted in lower psi than spec with less than about half a tank of fuel...had similar issue to you if I recall...was a gen1, but I sense some similarities here...

Old 06-12-2014, 07:22 PM
pawea
2nd Gear
Aye zip that's what I was thinkin man.......having no fuel filter is surely gonna cause rough running but also I was thinkin lower fuel pressure from an incorrect pump too........ way above my tech knowledge tho guess the first thing is to put the correct pump in first with filter......the more I think about it it all started on the drive home.......car had a full tank when I got it running great.........after 100 miles on the motorway the guage had barely budged which I thought odd..........then at about half a tank on the dash the guage started running rough and the eml came on..........I then noticed the level was fluctuating after stopping the car the guage dropped a few bars.........with hindsight it was prob running on dregs and with no filter all the crap going straight to the inlet manifold.....at least that sorta makes sense lol at this stage I'm trying to convince myself lol sick of it man

Old 06-17-2014, 12:55 PM
EMKFLYER
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pawea
Aye zip that's what I was thinkin man.......having no fuel filter is surely gonna cause rough running but also I was thinkin lower fuel pressure from an incorrect pump too........ way above my tech knowledge tho guess the first thing is to put the correct pump in first with filter......the more I think about it it all started on the drive home.......car had a full tank when I got it running great.........after 100 miles on the motorway the guage had barely budged which I thought odd..........then at about half a tank on the dash the guage started running rough and the eml came on..........I then noticed the level was fluctuating after stopping the car the guage dropped a few bars.........with hindsight it was prob running on dregs and with no filter all the crap going straight to the inlet manifold.....at least that sorta makes sense lol at this stage I'm trying to convince myself lol sick of it man
Pawea, did you get a chance to replace your fuel pump? I am going crazy trying to figure out why I'm still getting a #3 Misfire. I still have it at the mechanic. He is suppose to do a Leak Down check for me ASAP.

I also spoke to the local German car mechanic this morning. He said even these non turbo R56 engines can carbon up on the valves. He said he use to do walnut blasting.....but now he swears by the the Wynn's De-Carbon foam. I'm not sure where to get that here in the USA.....but I'm looking to give it a try.

Does anyone know where to get that in the US? Anyone have any good luck with this product?

Good luck
Ed

Old 06-17-2014, 01:15 PM
pawea
2nd Gear
Hi sadly the fuel filter and new pump made zero difference man i'm gutted man......im still leaning towards a cracked head or head gasket starting to go regardless of the compression test and what ive been told........some cracks wont show up on a compression test and obvious head gasket symptoms dont apply, i have noticed i'm losing water a tiny amount over weeks but nonetheless its gotta be going somewhere.......i had a 5 series like this ended up spending a fortune at mechanics replacing this and that to no avail ended up replacing the engine and all was fine after that.......if the mini/peugeot engines were not so expensive thats what i'd do.....i'm very close to just scrapping/breaking it for spares now taking too much time and money........let me know how your leakdown test goes

Old 06-17-2014, 01:20 PM
pawea
2nd Gear
The carbon problem doesn't apply to these engines only the turbo Cooper S N14/N18 ENGINES which had direct cylinder injection these normally aspirated engines N12/N16 ENGINES dont have direct injection....i wasted a fortune on Seafoam and all that crap which mad no difference lol....so the carbon build up problem does not apply can still build up carbon but not to the extent of causing our symptoms