Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Electric steering wheel lock malfunctioning

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 05:22 PM
ruabadfish2
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(R56 S)
Received this pretty little picture this morning:

Name:  IMG00030-20110819-0821.jpg
Views: 6707
Size:  72.1 KB

According to the manual;

Lights up in red:

The engine can no longer be started. If applicable, do not switch off the engine. Contact your MINI Dealer.

I've been able to restart the car three times today since this, and driving has not been affected. A Google search for "Electric steering wheel lock malfunctioning" shows several posts from Bimmer forums, of owners having to have the whole steering column replaced. And the MINI2 and NAM links do not have any updated info for us. My gut tells me I have a funky ECU, as I've had weird electric problems with this car since day one. I've had a couple reflashes from MOSA during checkups and at least one at Harrison's, and the other ghost problems disappear for awhile...but have resurfaced from time to time.

For stihs and giggles, I'll disconnect the battery tomorrow and hook my charger up to it for awhile. Reconnect and hope it "resets" the ECU. If still present, I'll make an appointment with Harrison's monday morning if possible.

I always drive in sport mode, and turn off ASC.
I checked the power steering fluid, and it's below Max but well above Min.

Ur thoughts?

http://www.harrisonmotorsports.com/

Old 08-20-2011, 10:32 AM
ruabadfish2
1st Gear
Battery didn't need much charging, only ran one cycle before the charger said it was full. Battery still disconnected, will leave it sit as is until I need to go later today.

Checked fuses, all are good;
Engine fuse box
Name:  IMG00031-20110820-1129.jpg
Views: 9531
Size:  67.9 KB

How can you tell if the green ones in the middle and the black ones in the upper right corner are bad?

Interior fuse box
Name:  IMG00041-20110820-1259.jpg
Views: 6403
Size:  79.4 KB
Name:  IMG00042-20110820-1300.jpg
Views: 13216
Size:  71.1 KB

Took the steering column cover off as well, hoping to see a solenoid or something obvious;

Name:  IMG00034-20110820-1223.jpg
Views: 3318
Size:  64.7 KB
Name:  IMG00032-20110820-1222.jpg
Views: 3847
Size:  58.7 KB
Name:  IMG00033-20110820-1223.jpg
Views: 3868
Size:  50.8 KB

Old 08-20-2011, 01:12 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ruabadfish2
(R56 S)

I'm confused. I thought the R56 Mini's had electric power steering and did not have power steering fluid.

Regardless, I hope you are able to get this to reset without any extra expense.

I also like your mileage. Good to see someone putting miles on their Mini and not trading it.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:45 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregsmini
I'm confused. I thought the R56 Mini's had electric power steering and did not have power steering fluid.

Regardless, I hope you are able to get this to reset without any extra expense.

I also like your mileage. Good to see someone putting miles on their Mini and not trading it.
Your right no power steering fluid .The poster must have a pre '07.Although the dash suggests an r56 hmmmm Maybe he meant something else.....

Old 08-21-2011, 08:54 AM
ruabadfish2
1st Gear
Haha! I tried looking for the blinker fluid too, are you guys sure it's there?

There may not be any power steering fluid, but my brake fluid level is ok!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:39 AM
gregsmini
4th Gear
There may not be any power steering fluid, but my brake fluid level is ok!
That's always a good thing!

Old 08-26-2011, 05:36 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This happened to me. Reset all the modules in the car (you need the tool
for this frankly you can not own this car without the tool). Fully charge the
battery deep cycle charge. Disconnect battery for a few hours.
With car running reset all modules again (may need to do a couple times, also,
may need to restart car a couple times)

Keep trying steps it should eventually reset. This is a hard one to make go away.
MAKE SURE YOUR KEYFOB IS VERY MUCH CHARGED TOO

Old 09-06-2011, 08:33 PM
kptdjaja
Neutral
(R56 S)
Received this pretty little picture this morning:

According to the manual;

Lights up in red:

The engine can no longer be started. If applicable, do not switch off the engine. Contact your MINI Dealer.

I've been able to restart the car three times today since this, and driving has not been affected. A Google search for "Electric steering wheel lock malfunctioning" shows several posts from Bimmer forums, of owners having to have the whole steering column replaced. And the MINI2 and NAM links do not have any updated info for us. My gut tells me I have a funky ECU, as I've had weird electric problems with this car since day one. I've had a couple reflashes from MOSA during checkups and at least one at Harrison's, and the other ghost problems disappear for awhile...but have resurfaced from time to time.

For stihs and giggles, I'll disconnect the battery tomorrow and hook my charger up to it for awhile. Reconnect and hope it "resets" the ECU. If still present, I'll make an appointment with Harrison's monday morning if possible.

I always drive in sport mode, and turn off ASC.

Ur thoughts?

http://www.harrisonmotorsports.com/
Hi ruabadfish2, did you find out what happened? I got the same "electric steering wheel malfunction" error this morning, but everything seems to work fine. Thanks

Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 PM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
This happened to me when I updated the CAS module to newer software stand using WinKFP. In order for this error to go away, you need to reset the CAS's error memory, but you need to have ignition switched off! It wont go away if the ignition is on, because the electric steering lock is working at the time.

What you actually need to perform this, is a D-CAN USB cable (ebay, ca. $100) and an ordinary laptop. The software you can get on the Internet and because it's BMW specific, it's much better than any generic thing.

Alternatively, you need to visit the dealer and have him reset the errors the official way. How much it's gonna cost you, I don't know...

Old 11-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Chiquitin
Neutral
I got the same problem with mine last friday but It was the battery, my Aeroforce Interceptor gauge is defective and it turns on and off while car is off and alarm its armed, so it discharge the battery.
It also resets the clock and the odometer so I decided to took my car back to the workshop to get the gauge removed and send it back for a software checkup for this matter.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:59 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I guess us 2008+ owners are lucky MINI deleted the steering lock.

I am still really curious as to where this supposed "power steering fluid" in the original post was found.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Scott Auld
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
I am still really curious as to where this supposed "power steering fluid" in the original post was found.
He said in post #5 it turned out to be the brake fluid reservoir

Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
LOL! I totally missed that while reading the thread. I was thinking it must be the brake fluid because the only other fluid to check is the engine oil and coolant.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Scott Auld
2nd Gear
Old 12-17-2011, 02:08 PM
ruabadfish2
1st Gear
Haven't had this checked out yet, now getting random other notifications, well, randomly. Wondering now if it is the battery. One project at a time tho, currently working on a thermostat leak. December is a horrible month to try an buy parts

Old 02-10-2012, 09:35 PM
NDLTSMOTOR
1st Gear
I have the same issue. Interested in the end of this story...

Old 03-14-2012, 12:49 AM
johnzzx
Neutral
I'm getting the same warning but my car works fine. Will take it to the dealer next week to get it checked.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
johnzzx
Neutral
Dealer said that there is a communication problem between the key and the steering wheel module, and that the entire steering wheel column needs to be replaced, which will cost around $900. >< Since my car is working fine, I think I'll just take my chances and get it fixed when there is an actual problem.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM
LemansM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by johnzzx
Dealer said that there is a communication problem between the key and the steering wheel module, and that the entire steering wheel column needs to be replaced, which will cost around $900. >< Since my car is working fine, I think I'll just take my chances and get it fixed when there is an actual problem.
Did you ever get this resolved? Still driving around with the warning light? That damn thing is annoying!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 PM
OldBlue07
1st Gear
$900!?!? Are you serious? Holy crap! My light came on the other day (in orange though, not red), and while I freaked a little when it first happened, by turning the wheel, it went away and has been fine since.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:31 PM
gregoryp
Neutral
Any updates on this, I have the same problem, been driving with it for about 3 months. Annoying since it blocks the digital speedo. I saw someone mentioned a tool to reset. Any more details on that? I did a quick look for the cable and BMW software mentioned by the other poster, but not sure exactly what to buy or if there is a reliable source for it. Also don't have a laptop. Steering works fine and no issues starting. I can also hear the lock actuating when you insert and remove the key.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:51 PM
LemansM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gregoryp
Any updates on this, I have the same problem, been driving with it for about 3 months. Annoying since it blocks the digital speedo. I saw someone mentioned a tool to reset. Any more details on that? I did a quick look for the cable and BMW software mentioned by the other poster, but not sure exactly what to buy or if there is a reliable source for it. Also don't have a laptop. Steering works fine and no issues starting. I can also hear the lock actuating when you insert and remove the key.
I'm in the same boat as you. Let me know what you find out regarding the software.. I'm pretty sure it's the route we have to go to get it cleared. And if I pull the trigger I'll post up my results.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 PM
themarques
2nd Gear
Happened to me when I left it at dealership. Drove it back and they tried to feed me the same BS that steering column gone 900$ etc. I just told them to clear code and I wasn't paying for it. And in 2mins it was sorted

Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 AM
carmelo123
1st Gear
Hey guys. So did having the dealer clear the codes work? Mine has been on for a few weeks. No affect to the steering and the car starts right up everytime. Just curious what the end result was for this. Thanks

Old 07-01-2013, 10:24 AM
LemansM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by carmelo123
Hey guys. So did having the dealer clear the codes work? Mine has been on for a few weeks. No affect to the steering and the car starts right up everytime. Just curious what the end result was for this. Thanks
Didn't work for me the first go round at the dealer or indy shop.. not sure what they tried exactly. Or if just trying to sell me a steering column. But I'm still driving around with it on. No issues here.
EDIT:
Just ended up taking it in and having the indy shop take care of it.(Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa for you OC guys) $594 total parts and labor.

Last edited by LemansM; 12-16-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Electric steering wheel lock malfunctioning