Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2008 MC Heater Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:21 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 MC Heater Problem

Well, I searched for awhile and couldn't find a thread on this heater issue. I think it will really be a trip to the dealer, but . . .

A friend has a 2008 MINI Cooper with auto transmission. When she starts it up and lets the MINI warm up to temperature, the heater will only blow cold air. The engine is at temperature and the cooling fan is even running now and then. Does the same in AUTO (automatic climate control) or manually. Same is true of the windshield defroster. As soon as she pulls away and heads down the road, the heat comes as if all is fine. If she stops at a traffic light, the air goes cold again until the light changes and she pulls away. Sounded odd, but I took it for a ride and it did exactly that.

I checked the coolant level which was slightly low, but adding a little didn't help. I'd say there's air in the heater lines or its a faulty thermostat, but it's like the MINI knows when the car is in motion and gives up heat.

As posted in one thread, the OBC and software are intensive and probably the culprit.

Anyone experiencing this heater problem?

Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Sorry, living Hawaii I haven't even used mine.......

Old 11-08-2008, 04:07 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
It sounds like the problem that I had with an old 528e....that was the heater control valve, which was a well known problem with that model. I'm sure that the HCV is computer controlled in our Mini's, but the effect might be the same if the valve is faulty. Good luck and be sure and post what you find!

Old 11-09-2008, 10:26 AM
ToBFree
4th Gear
She'll know next Friday when it goes back to the dealer under warranty. Such a weird issue as the heat just stops when the wheels do. I'll post the fix when known.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:45 PM
CJP
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToBFree
I have a 2008 MC and I think I am some of the same issues. I've noticed this week that I did not really have any warm air blowing. I changed the setting to recirculating, still the same. As I travel, it seems warmer, but it is not comfortable for much of the ride. VERY different from my '04 Mini.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Charva
2nd Gear
I had this issue with me 06 Cooper..it was a bad thermostat fixed by the dealer under warranty.

Dave

Old 11-09-2008, 01:23 PM
CJP
2nd Gear
Hmmm, that could be something I should look into. I'll know more this week. I'm in St. Louis and this is the first fairly consistent cold weather we've had. Thanks!
CJP

Old 11-10-2008, 03:25 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
This week it appears to be working right, she tells me. Maybe it is operator error? She tried setting the ACC to "auto" and the temperature up a few degrees instead of playing with ALL of the buttons.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 AM
MINIENGINEER
Neutral
I do have to say that I am having this exact issue in my 08 MCS. I've been trying to figure it out but today just realized that it stopped when I was at a light etc...

Let me know what the dealer says.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:33 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Will do. It's one of those types of issues that doesn't appear until the weather changes. If the weather stayed warm, no one would realize there is a problem.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:58 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
The manual says not to "warm up" the engine. I've noticed that at first idle if you have Auto CC on it will be cold air, but my engine is cold, so I expect it. It warms up very quickly once I start moving. Try driving within 20 seconds of start and see how fast it gets warm. I imagine the heater core is locked out until the engine runs in drive for a short period.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:27 PM
seabreeze23456
Neutral
Was there ever a resolution to this matter? My 05 is doing the exact same thing with the intermittent heater...

Old 02-17-2011, 06:55 PM
b66cf
Neutral
Had the same problem with my 09 S, and just got it back from the dealer today. It had set a code (no CEL though) and the story I got from them was that there was a service bulletin issued for this problem. To resolve it, they say they flushed the cooling system and followed a revised fill process to remove air pockets that had formed, which caused the problem originally.

I have to say, while I'm not on board with some of the other things that the dealer is telling me, this did sound right. The problem felt exactly like I have had in other (much older) cars where air got into the system and kept the heater core from consistently providing heat.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:04 PM
seabreeze23456
Neutral
Okay, here is the solution. I found the bleeder screws for the coolant, one near the radiator and one just behind the engine on the hose leading to the heater core. topped up the radiator and opened the valves until water came out. Started it up and ran it a while and repeated the process. I ended up adding about a pint of coolant until there was no more air. Heat works fine now...

Old 02-21-2011, 05:48 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
There ya go! Just in time for the coming snow storm, if it reaches you.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:28 PM
CaptainCradicles
2nd Gear
I'm having the same issue. I drive on the highway and it warms fine and then I hit traffic then cold air flows. Traffic picks up and hot air comes out. Im binging it to the dealer on Thursday.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:49 PM
CaptainCradicles
2nd Gear
Just got a call from the dealer and the water pump failed plus I have a coolant leak. Using those last 3 months of warranty wisely.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:05 AM
elliott
2nd Gear
Thought I would post, as this was one of the results when I was searching for no heat.

Wife's car is a 2007 MINI Cooper S at over 80K miles, and she finally mentioned she had no heat. Unfortunately, we blew threw our MINI's warranty in just over two years (wife's 50+ mile daily commute). So I checked to be sure it wasn't something I could take care of myself, or if I needed to drop a lot of money, and then perhaps make a trip to a non-dealer location.

Ultimately checked coolant level, which was low. Topped her off and heat came back after a day. Already had service scheduled for a state inspection, so asked them to check while it was there. Dealer called, and indicated they found the temperature sensor to be faulty, and a leak at the o-ring as well. It's gonna be around $150 to replace both. Oh well, needed the 60K flush anyways I guess, and this explains where the coolant went!

Just thought I would add to anyone that was searching. Check coolant - if low, add and heat will be back shortly, but also look for where your leak is. If not, try to bleed as mentioned above. If neither, keep searching I guess!

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Dougtunh
Neutral
Originally Posted by ToBFree
Well, I searched for awhile and couldn't find a thread on this heater issue. I think it will really be a trip to the dealer, but . . .

A friend has a 2008 MINI Cooper with auto transmission. When she starts it up and lets the MINI warm up to temperature, the heater will only blow cold air. The engine is at temperature and the cooling fan is even running now and then. Does the same in AUTO (automatic climate control) or manually. Same is true of the windshield defroster. As soon as she pulls away and heads down the road, the heat comes as if all is fine. If she stops at a traffic light, the air goes cold again until the light changes and she pulls away. Sounded odd, but I took it for a ride and it did exactly that.

I checked the coolant level which was slightly low, but adding a little didn't help. I'd say there's air in the heater lines or its a faulty thermostat, but it's like the MINI knows when the car is in motion and gives up heat.

As posted in one thread, the OBC and software are intensive and probably the culprit.

I had this problem and kept checking coolant level with the engine hot. One time I checked it cold and found my coolant level to be very low. Try checking coolant level when the car is cold. Took me 3 times checking cold till I got it full

Old 05-15-2016, 02:48 PM
Dougtunh
Neutral
I had this problem also. After checking the level many times while engine was hot and it was always ok. Finally I happened to check it cold and found my coolant very low. Took 3 times checking it while cold to get it full. Now I have fantastic heat

Old 05-15-2016, 02:54 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Coolant

Here's the procedure when draining and refilling, and it makes note of the previously mentioned bleeder screws

http://new.minimania.com/Cooling_Sys...R50_52_53_MINI