Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

Cage, Roll Bar, Roll Hoop - What to go with ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 04:51 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cage, Roll Bar, Roll Hoop - What to go with ?

Doing HPDE and NAMCC "Race Series" ... Need to ADD to satisfy this requirement:

"roll bar or roll hoop, race seat optional, seat belt 5 or 6 point quick release harness, fire extinguisher, (emergency on/off switch?) "
http://minidriving.com/page.asp?PageID=7

I want to keep car as a daily driver, with rear seat functional (when not tracking)

Any suggestions, advice or recommendations of where to buy, how to install, etc ?

Also raises the question ...Race seats ... Is there a preferred lightweight seat for the "occasional" racer in the MINI?

Old 12-02-2005, 07:26 AM
Mineon
4th Gear
It is unsafe to have rear seat passengers with a roll bar or roll cage installed in a car. Depending on the design of the cage, it may not even be possible to keep the seatbacks upright. I had a rollcage in a street driven car for several years, and it is rather inconvenient, and I ended up driving another car most of the time for street use. I would never race my only car at open track events or club races. An accident (not covered by insurance of course) can easily total a car, no matter how careful you drive.

-Keith

Old 12-02-2005, 07:57 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Hmmmm... Yes... Not sure what to do about that

Old 12-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
http://www.autopowerindustries.com/Application_List.htm

take a look here and you will see some of the roll bars. i was leaning for the street or street sport. Minzilla has talked about the race as he doesn't use (or have) the back seat.

as for seats. that is a hard question. each seat fits different, weighs different, and works different. a one piece seat is best, but getting into the back is really hard, so you may have to have one of each to retain the back seat. or if you want light weight then your day to day driving will be harder on you. i would also stick with a good brand name like sparco or recaro. i have heard of other bands breaking at welds and things. take a look at there catalogs and see what you like. i would test sit in them before you buy also to make sure you fit into it. some seats are very narrow and are only good for racing. i myself will look for a sparco, and end up having it recovered in lapis blue leather to match the rest of the car. i know i know, but it's the look and function i have to have. i will also retain my heated seats...as this is Michigan and it's 26 deg right now (before wind chill).

p.s. i also carry sparco seats...

Old 12-02-2005, 09:22 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been using the Built by Bone sport bar. This rolbar in no interferes with the back seats and they can be used with all their functions. I also use the optional diagonal and horizontal bar. These are removable (in about 20 min) so rear seats are accessible and functional. With them in place you are ready for the track with a much stiffer car.

Now, race seats. Once you put a shell type race seat in a mini, both sides, the rear is only now accessible through the tailgate. No way a person can get to the back through the front doors. Sparco does make a 'tilt' bracket, but I have a feeling that the seat would hit the headliner before you could fit a person behind it.
If you do DEs you must install two seats as they both need to be the same.

I use the Sparco Fighter as it's easy to get in and out of, which was good when my car was still street legal. Those are coming out and something like a Sparco Circuit will go in. Not easy to get in and out of.
The fighter is a great seat. I padded mine up a bit more and it's very comfortable. I also modified it so the sub belt could come up through it.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:43 AM
djafactor
3rd Gear
Onsled that's a really nice roll bar. Looks well made. Where are the rear mount points attached? How much did you pay for it? I have read some negative things about the AutoPower bolt in full cage in regards to fit (just from people with BMWs though). I've heard Kirk Racing makes nice stuff, the cage they have for the MINI is a little different, more DTM style with a X brace. Makes the rear seats unusable though but looks like it isn't too difficult to remove. Their price is $750.

Amit

Old 12-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Mineon
4th Gear
There is a big difference between passengers being able to physically get in and out of the back seat, and it being safe in an accident for back seat passengers. I guess it all depends on how much you (and they) value their lives.

-Keith

Old 12-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
onasled:

how does one contact Built by bone? do they have a website?

Old 12-02-2005, 12:08 PM
go_mini_go
3rd Gear
If you are in or near Ohio there is a great cage builder. His name is Mark McMahan 330-645-6468. He has been building custom roll cages/bars for over 15 years. He does work for teams like TC Kline, Nonnanmakers and others. Very nice work.

Old 12-02-2005, 12:16 PM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by Mineon
There is a big difference between passengers being able to physically get in and out of the back seat, and it being safe in an accident for back seat passengers. I guess it all depends on how much you (and they) value their lives.

-Keith
Maybe clarify this a bit. What are you referring to?

Old 12-02-2005, 12:28 PM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by djafactor
Onsled that's a really nice roll bar. Looks well made. Where are the rear mount points attached? How much did you pay for it? I have read some negative things about the AutoPower bolt in full cage in regards to fit (just from people with BMWs though). I've heard Kirk Racing makes nice stuff, the cage they have for the MINI is a little different, more DTM style with a X brace. Makes the rear seats unusable though but looks like it isn't too difficult to remove. Their price is $750.

Amit

My rear conection are about exactly were the ones are that you posted. They just go through the plastic side panels to clear the seats.

Built by Bones sell though eBay. They are great to deal with and will work with you 100%, and stand behind their bars 100%.

Their basic sports bar is about $500, but the diagonal and horizontal bars are extra
Click on Picture

Old 12-02-2005, 02:29 PM
djafactor
3rd Gear
Onsled, are you planning on welding in a entire new cage or bolting on to the exsisting rear bar? Do Built-by-Bones have a front section that can be easily installed for a track day and then removed later (keeping the rear bar in?)

looks like a nice product.

Amit

Old 12-02-2005, 02:54 PM
onasled
Banned
I'm doing a complete custom cage. This roll bar is out of the car now and is for sale.
I talked with the guys at BBB and asked if they would consider a front section that would make this a complete cage. They declined and said it would be almost cheeper to do a custom cage,

Greg V

Old 12-02-2005, 03:06 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Is there a MINI in that picture?

Oh I just saw the MINI.

Originally Posted by onasled
My rear conection are about exactly were the ones are that you posted. They just go through the plastic side panels to clear the seats.

Built by Bones sell though eBay. They are great to deal with and will work with you 100%, and stand behind their bars 100%.

Their basic sports bar is about $500, but the diagonal and horizontal bars are extra
Click on Picture

Old 12-02-2005, 08:38 PM
djafactor
3rd Gear
Onsled, have you sold the roll bar and seats yet? if not I may be interested.

Amit

Old 12-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Mineon
4th Gear
The only way rear seat passengers would possibly be safe in a roll-cage or roll-bar equipped car is if any diagonal or horizontal cross-bracing in the main hoop was removed, and if every square inch of the bar around and in front of the rear seat passeners is padded. It would still cut down on rear seat passenger space because of the rear bars and the main hoop, but in a pinch, I suppose you could fit a couple of small rear seat passengers in back for short trips. Of course having no horizontal brace would mean no harness available for front seat use, but if rear seat use is a concern, you'd probably want to remove the race seats for street use anyways.

I haven't looked carefully at the mounting for the Mini seats yet, but when I had a cage in my Neon, I would usually install my Corbeau race seats before a race weekend, and remove them if I was going to drive the car on the street. I could have both of the front seats removed and replaced in less than 10 minutes with my cordless impact.

-Keith

Old 12-08-2005, 09:35 AM
pyugala
3rd Gear
What is your thought on this cage? Pics taken from www.mini-clubsport.com

Old 12-09-2005, 07:33 PM
rpterson
4th Gear
I'm using an AUTOPOWER bolt in cage. Some classes only allow bolt in, others only weld in, or some both. Some classes only allow six point cages, others 8, 10 or more points What ever class your running check the rule book and make sure what your putting in works.

Autopower 6 point bolt in for MINI

Cage Installed. I have since installed a strut bar between the rear two points. I'm having a new harness bar installed higher up, to work correctly with a Hans Device. I'm 6'6" and the angle of the harness is not correct. I'm also having additional door bars installed for protection from side impacts. The Acura below was T-Boned by a Honda. Both drivers walked away. The additional door bars were a great help in this accident.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:49 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wonder for someone who streets his car about 90% of the time, but want the rollbar just in case for the track, would the 'street' bar by autopower be more than sufficient?

Old 12-09-2005, 09:55 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had the Autopower bar for about 2 years now and am happy to say that so far I have not " needed " it. The bar was very well designed and fits like a glove. As you can see from one of the photos you haveto remove quite a bitto install it but I feel it is worth it. As far as back seat acces goes all that is in the way is the harness bar which unbolts in just a few min. All in all I am very happy with the bar.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Last edited by dave; 12-12-2005 at 06:16 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 12-09-2005, 11:42 PM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
What is that big tank I see between the seats, fire supression?? Oh and is that a JL audion w7 sub I see sitting in the seat in the outside pic?

Old 12-10-2005, 09:02 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You have good eyes grasshopper The tank contains one of two things depending if you are in law enforcment or not . " Why officer that is oxygen I am an old man look at my grey hair " or " 60 shot of NOS " if you are in the import crowd. As for the sub that is a Diamond Audio tdx 10.

Randy
m7 Tuning

Old 12-10-2005, 10:28 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
How much is the street-sport bar from AutoPower ?

Old 12-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
350 ish

Old 12-10-2005, 12:25 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
And how much for you to install said piece? Does it come Black?

I think that piece would be adequate for us, or the Built by bones similar piece ?

Quick Reply: Cage, Roll Bar, Roll Hoop - What to go with ?