R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Smelly Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Midnight Blue
5th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Smelly Clutch

"Smelly Clutch, Smelly Clutch
Why have you been worrying me..."

- apologies to Phoebe Buffet

Took delivery of our 2011 MINI Cooper S All4 Countryman with manual transmission in early January 2011. Yes, one of the first cars delivered.

My wife and I are the sole drivers of the Countryman and together we put on a whopping 4000 miles in the first 13 months of ownership. Each of us has driven manual transmissions for well over 20 years and have each owned many cars with manual transmissions. Please just stipulate that we know how to properly drive a stick. Please?

Starting one week into ownership, we have found that with moderate to heavy use (rush hour traffic for instance) the clutch will emit a very strong and unpleasant burning smell. The smell is strong you notice it while in the car and if you are standing outside of it. Hence the name of our car ("Smelly Clutch") and the title of this thread.

While driving in stop and go traffic, or slowly following a line of cars up a steep garage ramp, or any other situation where the clutch is going to be stressed, you can count on good ole Smelly Clutch to rear her ugly nose, er head.

A couple of weeks ago we drove into the city to go out to dinner. It's about a 7 mile drive but it was in stop-and-go rush hour traffic. As soon as we pulled into the indoor parking garage, the attendant came over and said "Are your brakes burning up? Smelled it as soon as you pulled in." I explained that it is indeed my car that stinks but it is the clutch rather than the brakes.

We've been reporting these issues to our dealer fairly regularly so that it is well documented. They have been courteous but continue to state that there is nothing wrong with the car. And they won't pull the transmission to visually inspect the clutch, something that I really think ought to be done.

Why am I posting this now?

Well, today I brought our All4 to the dealer for a state inspection and to replace the auxiliary water pump per the recall. The Service Advisor told me they just replaced a clutch on an All4 with 1700 miles on it. The clutch had been completely fried and his car had to be towed in to the dealership. Like me, the driver also claimed to be well experienced in driving a manual transmission for many, many years. MINI is picking up the tab for that repair, I'm told.

I was also told that the vast majority of All4's are sold with automatic transmissions so the sample size for manuals is much smaller. Further, the SA noted that unlike other MINI's, the clutch in the Countryman does not really have a consistent sweet spot where the clutch engages or disengages and that it cannot be adjusted.

I think my clutch is going to fail at some point. Probably when my wife is driving it. Probably on a highway. In rush hour. And I'll be out of town on business. Get the picture?

So, has anyone on this forum with a manual All4 experienced any of the clutch issues I have described?

I kindly request that folks resist the urge to blame this on driver error and/or make comments that we are riding the clutch. We are not. We really do know how to properly drive a manual transmission.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:50 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally have not, I have 7600 miles on the car, plenty of stop-and-go traffic and I'm a noob when it comes to manual driving. I'd take it in to the dealer right now. Something's not right, and it's experiencing significant premature wear. Are you worried that the dealer will say it doesn't qualify for replacement, or imply you don't know how to drive a stick?

Old 02-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Midnight Blue
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sirbikes
Are you worried that the dealer will say it doesn't qualify for replacement, or imply you don't know how to drive a stick?
We've reported the issue to the dealer on numerous occasions and had them "look" at it a couple of times. No problem found.

I've requested that they physically remove the clutch to inspect it visually and they say that MINI won't authorize that sort of maintenance under warranty.

I've gone on record with the dealer that if/when the clutch fails that my expectation is that it will replaced under warranty.

Positive note is that we leased the car and there are only 23 months left before it gets returned.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:27 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
...So, has anyone on this forum with a manual All4 experienced any of the clutch issues I have described?...
The only clutch smell that showed up for me, and it did it in spades, was when I was trying to get off the line as quickly as possible to do my playing in the dirt jumps. Multiple 0-60 runs, one after the other through the trees, got it going pretty good.

That was the only time it happened with Fenton, although the comments about clutch point being nebulous ring true with me. We don't really trust our ALL4 starting out in a hurry with a cold engine - a combination of engine and clutch inconsistencies.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
I've noticed it too. Not so much lately, but rush hour traffic or stop and go on hills, or really getting on it will make it smell. My guess is that the extra weight of the CM is too much for it.

Last edited by Mojito; 09-28-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Midnight Blue
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
My guess is that the extra weight of the CM is too much for it.
I also think that the clutch is inadequate for the larger and heavier Countryman All4.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 PM
MINIATURIZE
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have operated manual transmission cars for years & concur that the CMS seems to be a bit heavy for the clutch. Drove up a steep driveway in reverse once & besides that bazaar holding feeling of hill assist, the clutch burned, smelled & just felt weak. I really like my Countryman, but the clutch, IMHO, just doesn't gel with this vehicle properly.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
If/when my clutch goes I'll replace it with something a lot more heavy duty. Probably something with a replaceable wear pad too, so I can take off quickly and drag the clutch with impunity.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
phillie_MINIALL4S
Neutral
Hey; I was referred to this site by a member of phillymini.org..

I was actually the owner of the Countryman whose clutch burned out at 1700 miles...Clutch is DEFINITELY too small...I was told it is the same clutch that is on a Cooper S. Luckily, MINI granted the repair...I have my CM back; and as you can imagine, I am being VERY gentle with the clutch...VERY. I don't like the fact that I feel like I am driving a glass car; but MINI has been VERY helpful in resolving the issue. I not only experienced great service from the dealer, but after the repairs were approved; I wrote to a couple of execs at MINI. I actually recieved an email and a call from the head of marketing for MINI USA so I was happy with the follow up. The problem is the lack of data because the majority of CM are sold with automatic transmissions. We who drive manual are kinda SOL right now because there just isn't enough evidence. But as stories mount up; I sure hope they decide to do a recall for a meatier clutch...we'll see...

Old 02-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Midnight Blue
5th Gear
Originally Posted by phillie_MINIALL4S
Hey; I was referred to this site by a member of phillymini.org..

I was actually the owner of the Countryman whose clutch burned out at 1700 miles...Clutch is DEFINITELY too small...I was told it is the same clutch that is on a Cooper S. Luckily, MINI granted the repair...I have my CM back; and as you can imagine, I am being VERY gentle with the clutch...VERY. I don't like the fact that I feel like I am driving a glass car; but MINI has been VERY helpful in resolving the issue. I not only experienced great service from the dealer, but after the repairs were approved; I wrote to a couple of execs at MINI. I actually recieved an email and a call from the head of marketing for MINI USA so I was happy with the follow up. The problem is the lack of data because the majority of CM are sold with automatic transmissions. We who drive manual are kinda SOL right now because there just isn't enough evidence. But as stories mount up; I sure hope they decide to do a recall for a meatier clutch...we'll see...
Thank you for joining the thread! And thanks for the PM. Your experience has been very similar to ours.

The clutch in the Countryman needs to be upgraded to support the added weight/torque of the vehicle. Plus the clutch really needs to be calibrated better so that the sweet spot is more easily attainable.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:16 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
...The clutch in the Countryman needs to be upgraded to support the added weight/torque of the vehicle. Plus the clutch really needs to be calibrated better so that the sweet spot is more easily attainable.
+1

Old 02-10-2012, 02:29 PM
J Dubz
1st Gear
The clutch in the Countryman needs to be upgraded to support the added weight/torque of the vehicle. Plus the clutch really needs to be calibrated better so that the sweet spot is more easily attainable.[/QUOTE]

+1

Old 02-10-2012, 03:50 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Keep reporting all problems to Mini no matter how small - smells, clutch slips, etc. Only way for Mini to get the data.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:26 PM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
This is one of the reasons we purchased our countryman in auto. The stick/clutch version just didn't feel "right". The cooper - even a non-S version feels very much like a stick only kind of vehicle - but not the countryman. Maybe it's the clutch/weight of car ratio or some other mystery. The cooper seems like a car you drive/buy only as a stick - but we felt like the countryman ride feel was better for us in the auto-S version.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:41 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Personally I thought it was better in stick than auto. The only thing that doesn't feel quite right with the stick is getting it moving - it requires a bit more revs and clutch hold than I would prefer. That's wear you get the majority of wear on the clutch plate. Once it's moving there's no problem and little wear. But maybe your clutch is not set correctly and dragging all the time.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:58 AM
Mark Bielick
3rd Gear
I love the manual tranny in my CM. It's what sets it apart from most every other crossover type vehicle out there. I've been pretty rough on the clutch, and I haven't noticed any issues yet. It does take a bit more feathering in on acceleration, and this may lead to faster clutch wear. Maybe that is part of what the smell people are noticing. Also, I'm not completely happy with the hill holder portion, but I've gotten used to it. Otherwise, I did purchase the extended full warantee plan, so I think I'm covered for a long time if problems do arise.

Mark

Mark

Old 02-11-2012, 06:14 AM
DDMNYC
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mark Bielick
I love the manual tranny in my CM. It's what sets it apart from most every other crossover type vehicle out there. I've been pretty rough on the clutch, and I haven't noticed any issues yet.
Agree with Mark, no issues at all. 7000 miles in 6 months...from stop/go driving in NYC, freeways, country roads in VT and NY. Clutch IS different from other cars I've had over the years (MG, older BMW 2002s, Subarus and even my last - Honda Element) - I think a satisfying feel with the CM.

One definite difference, in VERY cold temps (below 10 deg F), a bit stiff until warmed up - maybe 5 mins. Other than that, love the 6 speed!

Agree with the other CM community posts, keep your dealer informed if your CM is acting up and politely hold your ground if the issue gets serious.

Happy motoring...

Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 AM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Yes, I noticed this as well. Thought it was me just being tired in the morning and jerky with it until I figured out that it was the cold temps. I'm just like my car - I don't like to get going when it's early and cold either.

Originally Posted by DDMNYC
One definite difference, in VERY cold temps (below 10 deg F), a bit stiff until warmed up - maybe 5 mins. Other than that, love the 6 speed!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:47 PM
brownsca
1st Gear
I ordered a manual in San Francisco yesterday. I parked on a pretty steep hill, facing downhill, as part of my test drive (I can tell you the sales guy was not exactly thrilled). Apparently, they only sell about 1 in 100 mannys in SF.

Anyway, the hill hold made it easier (though not exactly easy), and I'm assuming/hoping that I will not have to ride the clutch once I'm used to the feel. I would say that without the hill hold, I probably would not have gotten the manual as the funky handbrake would be way too awkward to use in its place.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 AM
jrkav
Neutral
Like Midnight Blue, I purchased one of the first 2011 Countryman S All4 to hit my area. I had also periodically noticed an odor from the engine compartment but did not press the issue with my dealer.

Last week, at just under 12,000 miles, my clutch went. The cost of the replacement was covered by the 3 year/ 36K mile Maint plan but I was firmly told that they will only do one clutch replacement (have not verified that rule is in the fine print yet).

I believe I am at least a decent driver and have had many cars with manual transmissions without issue, including a mid-80's Audi Quattro that my brother and I drove like madmen.

The Service Dept was very helpful but would not admitt to any material or design defects. I am waiting to hear back from the Sales Mgr at my dealer but I am likely to dump the car at this point unless I can get a more reasonable explaination from Mini than 'normal wear and tear'.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:39 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
No way a normal clutch wears out that fast. Think of your brakes - the pads will last at least 20k miles under heavy use, so your clutch should last way longer, 100k miles easy. It's the same material. Something not right. Like I said, if mine goes, I'm not selling the car, I'm fixing the problem with heavier duty aftermarket clutch and replaceable wear pad, something like this: http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/NMG1600/InvDetail.cfm for full throttle launches.

Originally Posted by jrkav
Like Midnight Blue, I purchased one of the first 2011 Countryman S All4 to hit my area. I had also periodically noticed an odor from the engine compartment but did not press the issue with my dealer.

Last week, at just under 12,000 miles, my clutch went. The cost of the replacement was covered by the 3 year/ 36K mile Maint plan but I was firmly told that they will only do one clutch replacement (have not verified that rule is in the fine print yet).

I believe I am at least a decent driver and have had many cars with manual transmissions without issue, including a mid-80's Audi Quattro that my brother and I drove like madmen.

The Service Dept was very helpful but would not admitt to any material or design defects. I am waiting to hear back from the Sales Mgr at my dealer but I am likely to dump the car at this point unless I can get a more reasonable explaination from Mini than 'normal wear and tear'.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Cutelildevil666
2nd Gear
I have an S version, not the ALL4, but with 7,800 miles on it, I've never had the burning smell from the clutch. The MA at the dealership did warn me about the tendency of the Countryman clutch to burn out prematurely, so he suggested that I not leave it in gear at stoplights, or ride it unnecessarily, so at a stoplight I just put it in neutral. I've driven manuals before but it has been a while, so it took me about a month to get used to - it is definitely different than others I've driven before.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:33 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Cutelildevil666
...The MA at the dealership did warn me about the tendency of the Countryman clutch to burn out prematurely, so he suggested that I not leave it in gear at stoplights, or ride it unnecessarily, so at a stoplight I just put it in neutral...
Well, that's interesting advice, since having the manual transmission in gear with the clutch pushed in does nothing at all to the clutch material and only exercises the throwout bearing. Your MA not your Service Consultant, right?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:11 PM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
So does anyone think maybe the 2013 countryman will have a different version of a clutch system in them?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Well, what a ironic time for this thread. I have a front drive-s with just over 5000 miles and smelt the worst clutch smell yesterday in traffic. My wife was driving and the first thing she did was check th e- brake. It was off so we thought is someone elses car. Then we smelt it again about ten minutes later on the other side of town. Now I'm almost sure it was the countryman! Ill be keeping a nose out for that smell now, and let my dealer know about it if it continues.

Quick Reply: R60 Smelly Clutch