R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 New engine installed and running... now there is a noise during start-up...??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Askika
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New engine installed and running... now there is a noise during start-up...??

So on Friday my new engine install was completed. We attempted to start the car and realized that the old starter was bad due to attempting to start the car with a locked down engine. Replaced the starter and battery on Saturday and got her running. The issue is that during start up, there is this awful sound that seems to be coming from the starter... Once the car is started... everything is smooth and correct.

I purchased the starter from O'Reilly's and I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this before... or received a bad starter from O'Reilly's??? I may just have to pull the starter and bench test to see what it sounds like off the car..

Other than that... my new engine and clutch feel awesome.. waiting till she is broke-in a bit before I drive it too hard..

Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
description of noise?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Askika
Neutral
(BTW.. this a 2007 MCS)
The noise is sort of a grinding sound.. while the engine is starting.. and then stops as soon at the engine start running..
I will see if I can record the sound and post it...

Old 09-02-2014, 02:27 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Pull the starter now! Look at the gear on the starter, is it chewed up? Now look at the ring gear on the flywheel is it chewed up too?

I think your starter is not meshing correctly with the ring gear. Don't start your car any more until you verify the gear on the starter & flywheel are OK. If you chew up the flywheel ring gear the transmission will have to come out to replace it.

You don't hear the noise once it starts because the starter is no longer grinding on the ring gear.

I'd blame the starter & hope you didn't do expensive damage.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Askika
Neutral
Loosened the starter this morning and it has a lot of play.. moved it inward toward the engine. Attempted to start and heard about the same noise as before. Pulled the starter and the gear looks fine... looked that the flywheel... looks fine too.. no marks on either one. Tried to bench test the starter and it was not wanting to turn over. Took it back to O'Reillys and they tested it and found that the solenoid was jumping in and out sporadically...and the computer said that it "passed" ... (haha) He ordered the only 2 in the regional area and they should be in tomorrow. They are going to test them both before I take one.

Hopefully this solves the issue.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:22 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Best of luck. Hope that sorts you out.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:43 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oreilly's Is not really noted for having quality starters.. Sure they are cheaper but the quality is not there. I guess it would be my last choice anyways. But I hope the next one works for you! Good luck!

Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 AM
Askika
Neutral
Yep... new starter was bad right out of the box... new one was installed last night and she is running again.. Never had a new part like that bad out of the box... I guess I will start having parts like that tested prior to install.. thanks for the help!