How To I Replaced My Antenna Base! Yay! Photos/Instructions Posted

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:33 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I Replaced My Antenna Base! Yay! Photos/Instructions Posted

Hi, Everyone.

I just wanted to share my (small) victory: I replaced my R56 2009 Mini Cooper S's antenna base last Friday.

I had suddenly lost all AM radio reception (yeah..I know. I'm not sure if it happens at 40 years old or what, but suddenly I find myself listening to AM radio sometimes). I thought the cause was the antenna itself so I replaced my OEM MINI Stubby antenna with a few zippy ones I got from ebay for a fraction of the price. Nope. Still a problem. A web search turned up others with the same issue, of course. Surfing this forum is the only way I learn anything about my MINI.

I ordered the antenna base from ECS Tuning:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2009-C...enna/ES182149/

I do not have navigation or satellite radio but I noticed when I received it that the one on my MINI looked more like the satellite/nav base. More on this later.

No one seemed to have any diagrams/instructions and I was horrified at the prospect of removing the headliner. I ordered a Haynes service manual and also a little antenna base "bling" from Rockauto.com

EDITED TO ADD: the manual was no help in this area. I was on my own.

I took photos along the way.

1. I gently pulled the rubber weather stripping around the hatch area and pulled the headliner down as much as possible. Not enough to do anything, so I had to proceed to remove just enough to get my hands in there.

2. I reluctantly removed the rear panels marked "AIRBAG" beside the hatch opening. Lump in my throat at seeing the air bag stuff, but I was gentle.

*see photo*

3. I then removed the handles on the roof above each rear window.

4. I then carefully removed the rear part of the sunroof frame.

*see photo*

*SEE PHOTO* of the differently sized antenna mounts.

I see that I am maxxed out at three photos I can upload; I'll try to post again and hope I get three more pix. But if I do not: at this point, I had enough space to pull the headliner and see/feel enough to disconnect the wires to the original antenna base. Mine had two wires from "the car" attaching to it, but also two coming from the base...one of which was connected (bright pink color) and the other was not and was just held in the clip holder thingy.

At this point, I connected the two wires from the car to the new base and it worked GREAT! I therefore decided my car must've had the base equipped for satellite radio/nav, neither of which I have. Everything worked: AM/FM radio and CD player (I also do not have factory Bluetooth).

The next step was to be sure the "footprint" of the new, smaller base would cover the holes in the car roof. They did! I unscrewed the bolt holding the old base on, disconnected the last wire and pulled it up from its position from outside the car's roof.

I plugged in the new antenna (SO happy that there are only the two wires coming from the car to plug in and it's really obvious where they go!), bolted it down, and reversed all processes to put the trim pieces back.

I am VERY happy to say I have no creases in the headliner that I could see. The reason I wanted to do this myself is that I do not like mechanics working in the INTERIOR of my car. I did not want any grease, scratches on the plastic panels, or creases in the headliner. If I had made a crease, it's MY crease. *laughs* But I didn't want anyone else doing a sloppy job.

Once the new antenna base was in place, I chose the antenna shaft that I liked best from the four I got from ebay, installed the chrome base (oooh...I hope I can show you this in the next post!) and the chrome washer fluid jet covers that Rockauto threw in with the base cover.

All works great! All I can say is: don't be scared to do this yourself. I can only speak for the setup without factory nav/satellite/Bluetooth but if you are careful and only remove as much as needed, it can be done. I think it took perhaps 45 min to an hour.

Thanks for reading! I hope I can post more pix below. Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and making me brave enough to try this. I'm no master mechanic by any means, so it's a small victory for me, but a victory nonetheless.

Attached Thumbnails I Replaced My Antenna Base! Yay! Photos/Instructions Posted-rear-panel.jpg   I Replaced My Antenna Base! Yay! Photos/Instructions Posted-sunroof-frame.jpg   I Replaced My Antenna Base! Yay! Photos/Instructions Posted-old-base-left-new-base-right.jpg  

Last edited by bettehead; 04-13-2014 at 06:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bettehead:
Ray167 (09-15-2017), Wife's Clubman s (04-09-2024)
Old 04-13-2014, 05:38 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
More photos to accompany the previous post...

Hi again.

I wanted to show the area that *would* have been creased if I had made a lot of creases. This is the area where I most bent the headliner. Nothing much here and even if there was, I decided it was a logical place for a slight crease because the contour of the roof changes there anyway.

You can see the chrome washer jet covers and the chrome-y goodness of the antenna base and shaft.

As always, thanks for reading. I am a happy camper. Until the next thing goes wrong, that is.

Attached Thumbnails I Replaced My Antenna Base! Yay! Photos/Instructions Posted-no-headliner-creases.jpg   I Replaced My Antenna Base! Yay! Photos/Instructions Posted-double-bling.jpg   I Replaced My Antenna Base! Yay! Photos/Instructions Posted-blingy-result.jpg  
Old 04-13-2014, 05:57 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
...one more far shot.

It's a bit blurry but I wanted you to see the setup from a distance. Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails I Replaced My Antenna Base! Yay! Photos/Instructions Posted-far-shot.jpg  
Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 AM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Nice job. I only had to replace the missing stubby part, which was pretty easy.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:19 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
My new clubman came with stains in headliner, they had to pull windshield to remove headliner, took them 2 days , they took a headliner off another new clubman on lot cause they had to order from UK. Not an easy job.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:27 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rckrzy1
My new clubman came with stains in headliner, they had to pull windshield to remove headliner, took them 2 days , they took a headliner off another new clubman on lot cause they had to order from UK. Not an easy job.
I completely changed my headliner in my R56 JCW and did not have to remove the windshield. I went from the original grey to the black. Changing out the headliner took my 30 minutes once all the trim piece were removed. That took an hour to do with another hour to replace the grey trim pieces with new black pieces. Easy job - three hours tops and I worked alone. If I had had some help, it would have been even faster. I think the reason your Clubman's windshield was pulled was to help get the old one out and the new one in. The clearance (width) of the Clubman doors, must not be as wide as the hatch on the R56. Even still, how long does it take to pull a windshield? 2 days seems kind of extreme.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Bettehead- Thanks for the nice writeup and pics.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 AM
gezz81
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bugeye1031
Bettehead- Thanks for the nice writeup and pics.
+1 now go on a victory lap!

Old 04-23-2014, 06:12 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Thanks, Everyone. The antenna is still stuck on the roof of the car and it's still working. *laughs!*

Old 06-25-2014, 04:26 PM
JaysCoop07
1st Gear
This is great!! Thanks for sharing, everyone should do this on all installs.

+1000 bettehead

Old 04-12-2015, 09:30 AM
MyYellow 07
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Followed DIY from OP, and all went as planned, until, I find that my shorty antenna and my original antenna will not screw into the new style base. The internal threads are not same diameter, so neither the AM stud or original threads fit. How nice of Mini to do this for us! Did anyone else run into this?

Of course doing it on a Sunday morning, and will probably reassemble with new base, and no antenna shaft, for right now.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:37 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
^ if you still have the box, etc. for your shorty antennae, they usually include two threaded adaptors to alleviate this problem. If you don't have it, I recomemend going on ebay and buying a cheapie antennae just for this adaptor. It screws into the antenna and its threads then go into the base. It's sort of a "go-between". I'll see if I can find a photo to explain what I mean....

Here you go. See those gold things in the photo?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-4-8-Chrome-Carbon-Fiber-Aluminum-Screw-Type-Radio-Antenna-Aerial-Mast-Whip-/131483042771?fits=Model%3ACooper&hash=item1e9d0003d3&vxp=mtr

Last edited by bettehead; 04-12-2015 at 09:38 AM. Reason: one more thing....
Old 04-12-2015, 09:44 AM
MyYellow 07
1st Gear
Thanks, I figured it was something like that. I got mine from WMW, so will see if I have any small parts from it? But, if not will look into an adapter like this, will drop a note to WMW. Thanks again!

Old 04-12-2015, 09:46 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
My pleasure. You might even be able to pick one up at a local auto place, just for the adaptor thingy. I wouldn't swap the bases if it were me--too much work to do so.

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2015, 10:17 AM
MyYellow 07
1st Gear
Well, dug thru old mini stuff and found the adapter, so lucky there. Now, installed and another issue. I have a Sirius external radio, which I wired in under the passenger seat to Mini installed loom. When I plugged 2 original lines in in new base, no signal to Sat radio? I see the pink lead loose, which was going to a lead from old base? Any ideas?

Old 04-12-2015, 10:26 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
So sorry....can't help with this. I don't have Sirius. Glad you found the antenna adapter though! I'm sure someone here can help with the Sirius.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:40 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by MyYellow 07
Well, dug thru old mini stuff and found the adapter, so lucky there. Now, installed and another issue. I have a Sirius external radio, which I wired in under the passenger seat to Mini installed loom. When I plugged 2 original lines in in new base, no signal to Sat radio? I see the pink lead loose, which was going to a lead from old base? Any ideas?
Glad you found the extra antenna screw. All our WMW short antennas come with both screws.

As for you Sat radio. If your old antenna had the pink lead and the new one didn't you don't have the right antenna base. The Sat radio and non Sat radio antenna bases are different parts. So that is why it won't work.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-14-2015, 05:39 PM
MyYellow 07
1st Gear
Well, I picked up the over priced, expensive Sat version of the base, today, Installed it, then all trim, and started on the hatch gasket. Where, my patience and frustration was a little thin.

HMMM- never having done it, how do I get it back on? Was it possibly crimped in place over headliner and steel lip?

What is best plan for putting gasket back in properly?

Old 04-20-2015, 03:11 PM
MyYellow 07
1st Gear
DIY notes Antenna Base R56

I wanted to thank Bettehead for getting me to tackle this.

I made some notes, along the way.

1. I have Sat in my R56, but no Nav, so I needed the bigger, more expensive base. The small one is AM/FM, only.

2. You will basically be sitting in the back of your car, with seats folded down.

3. You can pop the little airbag trim name plate out easily and a torx screw is inside. Then the trim will carefully release, it is held in by push pins. You don’t need to release it very far, just an inch or 2. Just lean it out from the top.

4. Each end of grab handles has a Phillips head. Once these are off the headliner has enough room to slightly flex for getting to base attachment nut and wires.

5. You don’t remove the trunk gasket. The headliner is tucked into external groove. Just carefully release it enough to gain access.

6. The headliner has a black slotted retainer(glued to inside of headliner) for a white push pin, which holds it to the interior of the roof, just inside headliner towards rear of car and rear of antenna base.Carefully release this pin, and slide out of slot. Now you can gain access to nut.

7. If you have Sat/Nav, the wires can be seen and disconnected. This will be either the pink Sat, or the other 2 for Nav. The AM/FM can stay attached, until nut is released, then carefully extract thru roof, and take off, and insert in new base.

8. To remove Nut, I used a deepwell socket(maybe17mm, but I used an English size) and a long handled ratchet. You have to do it all by feel, so be very careful of stressing headliner. You need someone else to hold base in place, as you loosen. The nut will release from front of base, but, AM/FM wires are fed thru it, so leave it hanging, inside.

9. Slide base out, change over wires. You can attach Sat/Nav and see if all works. Clean roof good, as mine was pretty gunky from old gasket turning into mush. I used soap and then rubbing compound.

10. Reassembly isn’t too bad, but getting the nut started can be a pain. If you have Sat/Nav, the wires are bent sideways in slot, and nut will compress them as tightened. There is another small black plastic piece glued to inside of headliner, that holds these wires. Carefully put push pin in headliner and press to hold it in place. Tuck liner in gasket groove. Grab handles then C pillar trim and airbag label.

11. I think that’s it. 3 tool’s. Simple. Now that I have done it, it was probably 1hr dis and 1 hr re-assy. The next one would be ½ of this.

Attached Thumbnails I Replaced My Antenna Base! Yay! Photos/Instructions Posted-img_2247.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by MyYellow 07:
aylk (12-18-2020), cbseven (03-09-2023), Mr. Klean (07-03-2018), Wife's Clubman s (04-09-2024)
Old 04-21-2015, 11:08 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Great DIY info!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-27-2015, 02:31 PM
biggiemjgurnu
Neutral
Replace antennae base and headliner

Dearest Bette Head and My Yellow 07,

Thank you so much for the very informative directions on how to replace antennae base and headliner. Merry CHRISTmas and Happy New Year. GOD BLESS. ;-) I will pray and try to do it by myself.

Yours truly
gabe
R56 2011

Old 12-27-2015, 02:33 PM
biggiemjgurnu
Neutral
Sorry it's (bettehead) Again Thank You!

Old 12-28-2015, 08:05 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Nice DIY.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-29-2015, 12:07 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
You can absolutely do this!!! Good luck and let us know how it goes.😸

Old 12-30-2015, 03:58 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
This is what the forum is for. Nice job. I applaud your efforts.

ISAMIN

Quick Reply: How To I Replaced My Antenna Base! Yay! Photos/Instructions Posted