R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MINI Runs Cooler in Sport Mode??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:33 PM
StPeteAPB
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI Runs Cooler in Sport Mode??

I just had my JCW gauges installed at the dealership today.

On the drive home I noticed that when in regular driving mode, the temp gauge kept around 105*C, but in Sport mode it dropped and stayed around 90*C.

Does this make sense? And, if so, can someone please explain?

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Errant
2nd Gear
It's the higher revs in sport mode that are keeping it cooler. Lower revs make it burn hot.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:25 PM
StPeteAPB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Errant
It's the higher revs in sport mode that are keeping it cooler. Lower revs make it burn hot.
I'm sitting at a traffic light waiting ... I watch the temp drop.
Or, I'm driving in 5th gear at 2500 RPMs and switch into Sport ... I watch the temp drop.

I don't think it's the RPMs - they're not changing that much.

Is there another cooling fan that kicks in in Sport mode?
I can't imagine there is a variable thermostat in the engine, but maybe?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:16 PM
Dodgy
3rd Gear
I've noticed it too (via my Garmin-bluetooth plugin). I've always thought it was running cooler to leave more "head room" for the engine to get hotter if you're really pushing it (say on a tight track or something).

Old 05-16-2013, 05:36 PM
StPeteAPB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dodgy
I've noticed it too (via my Garmin-bluetooth plugin). I've always thought it was running cooler to leave more "head room" for the engine to get hotter if you're really pushing it (say on a tight track or something).
OK, well the good thing is, at least I know the unit is hooked up properly and I'm not seeing a fluke situation on my end.

That being said, it seems you'd always want to run in Sport mode to keep the engine cooler and, thus, the components lasting longer ... no?

Old 05-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,141 Likes on 893 Posts
How about a variable speed water pump...Yup, MINI runs a drive pulley for the water pump that engages and disengages from the belt depending on need. I found out about it when the belt shredded and wiped it out. What you are probably seeing is the pulley engaging when you are stopped and cooling the engine after driving harder in sport mode. I see the same temperature change after running up a long hill and then taking my foot off the gas going down the back side.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 PM
StPeteAPB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
How about a variable speed water pump...Yup, MINI runs a drive pulley for the water pump that engages and disengages from the belt depending on need. I found out about it when the belt shredded and wiped it out. What you are probably seeing is the pulley engaging when you are stopped and cooling the engine after driving harder in sport mode. I see the same temperature change after running up a long hill and then taking my foot off the gas going down the back side.
Now that's kind of cool!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:59 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The MINI has an electric water pump and thermostat, controlled by the ECU.

There should be no, zero, zip, nada, change in water temp solely because you press the sport button.

My car will run at 220F +- a few, all the time during steady state driving. If you start romping on it, or press the max AC button, then you can watch the coolant temp drop to about 180F.

But just pressing the sport button has no effect.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:10 PM
StPeteAPB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
The MINI has an electric water pump and thermostat, controlled by the ECU.

There should be no, zero, zip, nada, change in water temp solely because you press the sport button.

My car will run at 220F +- a few, all the time during steady state driving. If you start romping on it, or press the max AC button, then you can watch the coolant temp drop to about 180F.

But just pressing the sport button has no effect.
Pressing the Sport button on my 2013 MCS makes the temp drop. Should I record a video to convince you? :-)

Old 05-17-2013, 05:35 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
The key is that, like Richard said, the thermostat is controlled by the ECU. MINI may have reprogrammed the ECU in later models that affect the coolant temp setpoint based on sport button input. I have read that guys on a track will see 180F when pushing it, then the temp will raise to 220F on the 'cool down' lap, due to the ECU changing the target.

The theory is that the engine runs more efficient at higher temps, but will drop the temp when the engine is being pushed hard (reduce the likelyhood of detonation or hot spots?). Pretty cool...........

Mike

Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 AM
avenger
2nd Gear
the engine runs more "emissions" efficient at higher temps... When you put your foot into the mini without sport mode on it will cool down to 185F-ish, and then climb back up to around 220F.

Pressing sport mode keeps the water temperature around 185F-195F.

All of this is just by way of the ECU opening the thermostat a little more. It's to cool the Turbocharger better under load.

No belt driven water pump.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:38 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Then that must be a N18 vs N14 thing. My car is ALWAYS in sport mode. (AutoSport module) and runs at 220 all the time unless I'm romping on it.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:55 AM
KeyPlayaJim
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
If it actually does run cooler in Sport mode, it may be that this is a way to make the engine produce a little more power, although probably at the expense of emissions and fuel efficiency.

When I had my '65 Ford Mustang, it was well-known that the 289 cubic inch (4.7L) V-8 ran best with a very cool thermostat -- 140 degrees, if I remember correctly. Of course, there was no thought of emissions then and gas was cheap, so nobody minded sacrificing a couple MPG in order to gain a few HP.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:19 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Then that must be a N18 vs N14 thing. My car is ALWAYS in sport mode. (AutoSport module) and runs at 220 all the time unless I'm romping on it.
Don't really know anything about this, but just an observation...wonder if the AutoSport module that you have affects the ECU differently than just pushing the sport button???

Old 05-21-2013, 05:30 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
My 09 stays right around 220 all the time, even in Sport.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:47 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Thread bump.. found while searching...

My new R55s runs cooler in sport mode. I thought it was a fluke from the Scan Gauge.. so I swapped in another Generic OBDII reader.. and up.. 184 in Sport mode (even with A/C on..) and up to 218/220 in non-sport mode...

I also found lower oil temps in Sport mode.. that was a nice thing to see!

Part of my thinking is that sport mode..

- Runs the WP at full speed.
- Opens the T-stat (more?)
- Slightly richens the fuel mixture.. this will cause the "pop/gurble" on throttle lift and in turn - richer mixtures cool the combustion chamber. My AF went from an average on a highway test loop from 14.7.... to about 15.. so it is slightly richer... Just a tad..
- Slightly seemed to change the timing advance by a few degrees. Im talking like 2 degrees.. this was hard to average..
- Changed the TP angle advance greatly. (the pedal does more with less pressure than before..)

This all translates into a little more "pep" and ability to withstand a hotter run of your feeling "sporty"...?

My car is a 6 speed, so I can't comment on the auto trans shift points..

Old 06-08-2013, 05:06 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
What is the chance this change will make it into a dealer flash for older cars? My 2012 hardtop S came with the H2O temp gauge and even though 90-120 C takes up the entire second half of the gauge it always looks like its going to blow a head gasket running at 105 to 110. Red lines at 115. I know these are 'normal' temps but if Mini lowered them for 2013 there must be a reason, right? Driving is 'spirited' when possible otherwise I average 25 mph on my work commute :( 6 mi one way. Sport button makes no difference.

Last edited by yesti; 06-10-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 AM
EHans
5th Gear
My CMS does the same thing in sport mode.. I can watch the gauge move from 90-105 and back sitting at idle by turning sport mode on and off. I think it is a richer fuel mixture, which also explains the soot on my tailpipes.

Last edited by EHans; 08-05-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Correcting an iOS autocorrect spelling.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:37 AM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
runs cooler in sport mode

The cooler temps in sport mode could explain my experiencing better fuel economy in my '12 6sp (n18) when not in sport mode. I don't have a temp gauge and was wondering why.
Thanks, Don

Old 08-05-2013, 05:47 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by EHans
My CMS does the same thing in sport mode.. I can watch the gauge move from 90-105 and back sitting at idle by turning sport mode on and off. I think it is a richer fuel mixture, which also explains the soot on my tailpipes.
Might be richer but I think it's the squirts of fuel to make it pop/burble. And in an auto the shift points are moved higher up the RPM range which uses more fuel (watching the real time mpg meter)

Old 08-05-2013, 05:49 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dpcompt
The cooler temps in sport mode could explain my experiencing better fuel economy in my '12 6sp (n18) when not in sport mode. I don't have a temp gauge and was wondering why.
Thanks, Don
Yah, higher temps give better mpg in exchange for a bit of power. Sport mode does the opposite of that plus wastes gas to explode it in the tailpipe

Old 08-05-2013, 06:33 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yesti

Yah, higher temps give better mpg in exchange for a bit of power. Sport mode does the opposite of that plus wastes gas to explode it in the tailpipe
I say the "uses more gas" is BS. People can't keep their foot out of it. I've done several standard long run test loops for work with NO change in fuel Econ between Sport mode/ Lame mode.

Try it...

Old 08-05-2013, 06:37 PM
SoCal MCS
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine runs 220F via SGII no matter what...although I always run in Sport Mode.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:50 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed

I say the "uses more gas" is BS. People can't keep their foot out of it. I've done several standard long run test loops for work with NO change in fuel Econ between Sport mode/ Lame mode.

Try it...
It does make it harder to keep the thrill bug contained but I held 35 mph and turned sport mode on and off. Since I have the auto it immediately downshifts and real time mpg drops. I haven't tried it for long hauls at freeway speed as buzzing along in 5th gear is just annoying. And yes I know I can put it into manual shift mode and shift to 6th. But if I wanted to shift I wouldn't drive an auto :P

Old 08-05-2013, 06:52 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SoCal MCS
Mine runs 220F via SGII no matter what...although I always run in Sport Mode.
Try turning the a/c on full cold, highest fan speed. That seems to drop it down. Or cruise along at 60-65 mph, that also seems to get my secondary thermo to open, though once I get off the freeway it goes back up in temp immediately. '12 S auto.

Quick Reply: R56 MINI Runs Cooler in Sport Mode??