MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
New to Minis
5 Replies, 156 Views
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Neutral

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Snow Flake Symbol??

I just had my 07 MCS for 2 months! It is soooo much fun to drive!

However lately I always see a symbol on my dash board screen, it is a little snow flake within a triangle. I observed several times and that symbol always on for a minute when the outside temperature reaches 37 F. I tried to find this in the user manual but couldn't, does anyone know more about this? Thanks!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Gallery
ice warning
Old 01-28-2008, 08:17 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
It's a warning about possibly icy roads.

07 Laser Blue R56 MCS with White Top, JCW Aero/Engine/Suspension/Brake Kits, FMIC, Factory LSD, Vorshlag Front Camber Plates, AST 5100 Coilovers, JCW Strut Brace, Hotchkis Competition Rear Sway Bar
Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
for future reference the manual has a chart with all the warning lights and what they mean
2007 MCS chili red/ white [croc #297][sport/premium/cold weather pkgs][rooster red/ black seats][rear fogs][mfsw][enkei rs5 17"]
[alta: cai/turbo inlet hose/cat-back/boost gauge/2" shorty][checkered mirror caps] and yes, my hood scoop is functional -=O=-
[up next: alta 19mm rear sway bar, fmic, ECU]
Old 01-28-2008, 08:24 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimin View Post
I just had my 07 MCS for 2 months! It is soooo much fun to drive!

However lately I always see a symbol on my dash board screen, it is a little snow flake within a triangle. I observed several times and that symbol always on for a minute when the outside temperature reaches 37 F. I tried to find this in the user manual but couldn't, does anyone know more about this? Thanks!!!
There's an indicator and warning lamp reference on page 116 of your owner's manual. There's an explanation of that warning indicator on page 44 of that same owner's manual. Take some time to read it.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Vendor

Gallery
The ice warning light comes on at a conservative 37 degrees.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Racine View Post
The ice warning light comes on at a conservative 37 degrees.
Conservative? I would have been inclined to agree with this, but here in Germany two days ago my frost warning light came on for the first time in weeks, and after driving 5 or so km the temperature went up to 40 degress. When I got to work I found out a friend of mine flipped his truck after hitting a patch of black ice.

While the warning may be annoying at times, take it for what it's worth... Let it put just an ounce of caution in your head.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:52 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSpook View Post
Conservative? I would have been inclined to agree with this, but here in Germany two days ago my frost warning light came on for the first time in weeks, and after driving 5 or so km the temperature went up to 40 degress. When I got to work I found out a friend of mine flipped his truck after hitting a patch of black ice.

While the warning may be annoying at times, take it for what it's worth... Let it put just an ounce of caution in your head.
Monday morn, Jan 28, temp was 37 deg, the van hit a patch of ice, both fatalities. Road conditions can change quickly at 37!
Click the image to open in full size.

I drive over Curbs, and into Potholes, and never wax or polish!!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:10 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Like most current BMW's, the temp sensor measures the ambient air temperature. BMW, like many manufacturers, feels that at 37F air temp, the surface temp may still be below freezing, particularly in the shade, or bridgedecks.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:16 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpath View Post
Like most current BMW's, the temp sensor measures the ambient air temperature. BMW, like many manufacturers, feels that at 37F air temp, the surface temp may still be below freezing, particularly in the shade, or bridgedecks.
I have a BMW X5 for 2.5 years and I have only seen it came on one time. I was driving in the morning and heard this chime and then the low temp warning words were displayed. Scared me for a bit until I got home and looked it up on the manual. I live in Southern California btw. It rarely goes under 40 here.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Driving from Reno the other night in the wifes Volvo (still planning/building for the best Mini on the Configurator) and the outside temp display indicated a minus 1... ...can't fool physics even in an all wheel drive Volvo...just got to slow down and be aware
Old 01-29-2008, 12:50 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Now don't go jumping down my throat because this is just what I recall from high school chemistry/physics.

Correct me if I am wrong, the freezing point, under controlled conditions, of "pure" water is 32° F. Given you are in an outside environment, there are many factors involved with freezing; humidity, elevation, pressure, etc. So depending on your region, the temperature at which ice will form on the roads will differ. I like the fact that MINI has the indicator warning at 37° F. It gives you a heads up that ice can/will be forming rather than finding out the hard way. And for anyone that is familiar with Midwestern Winters, the warning is much appreciated, although it should be genetic at this point!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Vendor

Gallery
Take 5 minutes ago - I don't think I need to see the dash warning!Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:18 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Take 5 minutes ago - I don't think I need to see the dash warning!Click the image to open in full size.
Being a Colorado native, I can't say that I miss this since moving to AZ. Currently 61°F.

"Chubby Checker"
07 MCS CR/W Conv., Nav, Lots'o checkers, Homemade front clear turnsignal lenses
Hers: "Pippin" aka HippyMom 05 DS/B MCSC, Auto-up, Peace signs everywhere
Hers²: "Edgar" '12 JCW Coupe
Old 01-29-2008, 03:32 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
AGREED! I'm not looking for an argument. Like I said, it should be 2nd nature to those living in cold and snowy areas. If all else fails, safety should be obvious. Chicagoland area is expecting -20°F tomorrow. SWEET!!!

Last edited by True Joy; 01-29-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:25 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
I think I would kind of miss it if it wasn't there, as unnecessary as it seems to me. I've grown accustomed to the goofy snowflake and tone every morning and most nights over the past few months.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Strangely, my light didn't come on for me last weekend when the temp was below 20. It almost seems like it only comes on if the temp goes below 37 while you are driving. Has anyone had a similar experience?

SPIKE
2007 MC NFR/B 6-speed manual, Cold Package, Sunroof, DSC, Front Fogs
Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmc View Post
Strangely, my light didn't come on for me last weekend when the temp was below 20. It almost seems like it only comes on if the temp goes below 37 while you are driving. Has anyone had a similar experience?
I've had my MINI for just over a week (and LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! ). Our weather has been pretty cold here for that entire week so I have seen that nice little snowflake pretty much every time I have gotten in my car. I have noticed that it seems to be a little sporadic coming on right away. Sometimes I get about half a block from my driveway, hear the gong, and think, "oh, yeah, it's cold- that's why I have the heated seats! ) Other times I haven't noticed it.

Maybe this has to do with my garage being warmer than 37 degrees, but only sometimes?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to mauberley
Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmc View Post
If the temp was below 37 when you started the car, it should flash/ding at startup. Maybe you missed it? If your seat belt isn't fastened, the seat belt chime might be standing out more in your mind.

RADCLIFFE: 2006 MCS DS/B Black Bonnet Stripes Cold/Premium/Sport HK iPod; DSOC #197
Virtual Odometer: 80,000 Miles
Motoring | Photos | Blog Thingy
Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 PM