R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 HELP- Barn doors will not pop open!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:08 PM
hooops2001
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HELP- Barn doors will not pop open!!!

It's been a week now and not really sure what else to do besides bring it to the dealership...I have a full warranty from MAXCARE but the deductible is $200

I'm able to unlock all the doors from the key fob and I hear the barn doors unlock but they don't pop open. I don't see any emergency release button and when I squeeze the handle I can hear the sound from the lock but it does not open. I think the latch is not wanting unlock/jammed? Is there any other way to release the door latch?

Please help!

The following users liked this post:
Pizzaman66 (12-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2012, 03:21 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As the owner of an '09 Clubman nearing it's factory warranty expiration, I am watching this carefully... but I have nothing to offer.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:20 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Bump.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:10 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hooops2001
It's been a week now and not really sure what else to do besides bring it to the dealership...I have a full warranty from MAXCARE but the deductible is $200

I'm able to unlock all the doors from the key fob and I hear the barn doors unlock but they don't pop open. I don't see any emergency release button and when I squeeze the handle I can hear the sound from the lock but it does not open. I think the latch is not wanting unlock/jammed? Is there any other way to release the door latch?

Please help!
Do you have the Comfort Access key or the normal remote key?

Old 09-22-2012, 01:55 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it isn't really uncommon for the switch to go bad in the handle.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:36 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are the rear barn doors supposed to open up on their own? I have an ’08 Clubman that I bought used and they have never opened up unless I use the door handle. I have the comfort access on my car if that makes a difference. I’m still under warranty for another month.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:18 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CA94960
Are the rear barn doors supposed to open up on their own? I have an ’08 Clubman that I bought used and they have never opened up unless I use the door handle. I have the comfort access on my car if that makes a difference. I’m still under warranty for another month.
With the Comfort Access, you pull the handle, and the door pops open (with the key in your pocket). Same as if you pushed the button on the remote.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:04 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pmsummer
With the Comfort Access, you pull the handle, and the door pops open (with the key in your pocket). Same as if you pushed the button on the remote.
I just asked my wife if she ever got the back door to open by the remote and she said "you have to hold the back door button on the remote for them to open" - learn something new everyday.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
I just asked my wife if she ever got the back door to open by the remote and she said "you have to hold the back door button on the remote for them to open" - learn something new everyday.
Could be a software issue on yours. The OP probably needs the latches adjusted (cable stretch?).

Old 09-22-2012, 08:57 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pmsummer
Could be a software issue on yours. The OP probably needs the latches adjusted (cable stretch?).
So mine is not working correctly? Is it supposed to open the back door without having to hold the button? I’m still under warranty for another month if it needs to be repaired.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:06 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
So mine is not working correctly? Is it supposed to open the back door without having to hold the button? I’m still under warranty for another month if it needs to be repaired.
Correct. With the CA key on your person, you grab the handle and depress the black rubber strip/button on the back side of the handle. About a half-second later, the passenger-side barn door will "pop" open, swinging out about an inch. The driver-side door then opens similarly.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:27 PM
miffy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the opposite issue with mine, they kept popping open when driving. I had the door mechanism changed as this was a fault recognised by mini under warranty..there have been issues in the uk with the barn doors..

Old 09-23-2012, 12:43 PM
penguinplf
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have comfort access on my 2012 JCW Clubman. With the keyfob you need to hold the button for 1-2 seconds then release it. The passenger barndoor should pop open all the way. If you hold the button too long it activates the panic alarm. Or with the comfort access system all you need to do is have the keyfob on your body and you can open any door without pushing a button to unlock it. The front doors you just need to push that little black button on the handle first.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:09 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Originally Posted by penguinplf
I have comfort access on my 2012 JCW Clubman. With the keyfob you need to hold the button for 1-2 seconds then release it. The passenger barndoor should pop open all the way. If you hold the button too long it activates the panic alarm. Or with the comfort access system all you need to do is have the keyfob on your body and you can open any door without pushing a button to unlock it. The front doors you just need to push that little black button on the handle first.
That is how my Clubman works, except the passenger barn door only opens a few inches and not all the way.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:43 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by miffy
I had the opposite issue with mine, they kept popping open when driving. I had the door mechanism changed as this was a fault recognised by mini under warranty..there have been issues in the uk with the barn doors..
Hmm... I came out the other morning and notice the pass-side barn door was open. I thought that I had perhaps opened in accidentally on my way out.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:23 AM
hooops2001
1st Gear
I do not have the comfort access...I normally use the barn door release button on the key fob. I can hear the doors unlock but they just don't open. Can someone post a picture of the latch of the passenger barn door while open? I would like to see the mechanism maybe if I spray some WD40 in that area it would UNjam the latch? I do see a rubber piece on the interior barn door that I can pull and see part of latch? Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Pizzaman66 (12-20-2020)
Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Right Door Latch (passenger side):

Left Door Latch (door sill):

Old 09-24-2012, 10:56 AM
hooops2001
1st Gear
Thank you VERY much for the pics...it looks like when both doors are closed the rubber piece that I can pull is where the latch is...I wonder if I can pull the rubber piece out completely like in your pi and stick a flat head screw driver and try to unlatch the door? Thanks again for the pic! I'm hoping I can get this fix soon...planning on attending the Mickey & MINI event this weekend in Orlando!

Pizzaman66 (12-20-2020)
Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Thank you VERY much for the pics...it looks like when both doors are closed the rubber piece that I can pull is where the latch is...I wonder if I can pull the rubber piece out completely like in your pi and stick a flat head screw driver and try to unlatch the door? Thanks again for the pic! I'm hoping I can get this fix soon...planning on attending the Mickey & MINI event this weekend in Orlando!
There are two latches, one in the pass-side door, and the second one in the driver-side barn door sill. The rubber boot covers the hasp inside the driver side barn door. WD40 with a long nozzle tube should reach around the boot.

You won't be able to remove the boot with the doors closed without cutting it into little pieces, but you may be able to pull it to the side and get a flat-head screw driver in there.

Good luck!

Last edited by pmsummer; 09-24-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 PM
hooops2001
1st Gear
Great appreciate it...I will try it this evening and let you know! THANK YOU!

Old 09-25-2012, 03:37 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Great appreciate it...I will try it this evening and let you know! THANK YOU!
Any luck (as Jean Calvin would say)?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 PM
hooops2001
1st Gear
Thank you again for the pics...really helped and YES I was able to reach the latch by pulling the rubber piece and sticking my flat head screw driver. I will post pics tomorrow and NOW for the not so great news. It seems like the latch has lost it's smoothness/click and won't release. When I press the key fob too unlock the barn door I hear the motor but it just doesn't release the latch. I'm assuming I will need a new latch mechanism. Would I be able to attach video on here? For you guys to see...maybe will help someone else in the future.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:53 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Pmsummer brought this thread to my attention. Thank him for PMing me.

To hoops2001:
There is no way to get to the first latch of releasing the barn doors from outside the car. I beleive the rubber piece you are talking about is down below the door and the bumper and if i am coorect in the thought it will do you no good. That is "only" for the drivers side barn door and you "must" open the passangerside door first.

Unfortunately there is no emergency release on the barn doors or the hatch because those areas are open to the rest of the cabin so there is no reason for one as there is no way a person can get locked in with out a way to get out.

Some things to try
1. Press the hatch/rear door button on the remote for 3 seconds release and repeat three times. The passanger side door should open on the 3rd or 4th pressing.

2. Unlock all doors using the toggle switch in the center stack below the radio. Press the switch up three times to ensure all doors are unlocked. Then go to the passanger side rear barn door and squeeze the handle and you should hear some light clicking and also pull on the door handle as you keep squeezing. You may have to pull really hard.

3. If none of the above work disconnect the battery for a minimum of 30 minutes. It might be best if while you have it disconnected that you also charge it. After the 30 minutes reconnect and try the above options again. This resets all the computers in the car and may clear some programming that may be causing the problem.

Let me know if any of these options work. In the mean time i will look further into MINI documentation tmorrow to see if there is any other specs on how to open the doors.

To penguinplf. Sometime during the 2011 model year the struts that cause the doors to open changed on the passanger side. Before that the door would only open about 1-1.5 inches after the change tney pop open all the way.

To miffiy. There have also been problems with water getting into the wiring for the passanger side door handle and shorting out and causing the doors to pop open. This was fixed by rapping the wireing connector from the door handle to the car harness in the door with waterproofing tape. It was a problem early on in 2008 and some 2009 models and then they started wraping them at the factory after many complaints from dealers having to fix them.

Pizzaman66 (12-20-2020)
Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 AM
hooops2001
1st Gear
Again Thank you Pmsummer and schatzy62...I tried your suggestions above (1,2 & 3) with NO success. I uploaded some video (You tube) of my door with the motor sound and latch not moving. Not sure if this would help describe my issue...I'm really think my latch has gone bad and I will need to bring to dealership. If you have any other suggestion please let me know.

Thank you

Old 09-26-2012, 06:05 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
That sound makes me think the gears are stripped in the motor or the wire that unlatches it has become disconnected in the motor housing. It should not make that noise. In fact it should be almost silent. The only thing you should here is the latch clicking open. I will have take a look at something in the morning. I dont remember off the top exactly how that all connects together its been a while since i last had it appart.

Pizzaman66 (12-20-2020)

Quick Reply: R55 HELP- Barn doors will not pop open!!!