R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Fog Light Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Fog Light Help!

2005 Cooper S - No xenons and no fog lights
(I don't know what the build date is unfortunately)

Want: fog lights... Right now there are just plastic covers where the fogs would normally be. Also, the toggle bank has 2 empty slots for switches.

I've found very little info on how to do this, other than:
Buy set of fog lights, wire it to the harness, buy new toggle bank with switches for fogs, and have the BCM programmed (whatever that means )

I am in no way familiar or good with any kind of wiring, except basic stuff (mainly plug n play)

Do I have any other options, or I guess bigger question is - What ARE my options? Seems like this is going to be $$$ just to get some damm fog lights on my car lol but I am crossing my fingers and hope someone can help or point me in the right direction... Thanks!

Old 08-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
buy some after market fogs and hang them

it will cost a fraction of what factory fogs would cost

you could do this for $100

to retrofit a full factory fog kit would probably cost you a grand today ...

Old 08-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
buy some after market fogs and hang them

it will cost a fraction of what factory fogs would cost

you could do this for $100

to retrofit a full factory fog kit would probably cost you a grand today ...
Right, i figured this... I was looking at the projector ones others have used... but how would I go about wiring these and a switch?

Old 08-02-2015, 03:02 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Alkaidovich
I've found very little info on how to do this, other than:
Buy set of fog lights, wire it to the harness, buy new toggle bank with switches for fogs, and have the BCM programmed (whatever that means )
I wouldn't call that "very little info". You've found exactly what you have to do if you want OEM factory fog lights. I installed this myself on my car and it's a lot of work. Programming means after installing everything, take the car to the dealer and tell them to activate the fog light on the computer.

Just to be clear... you want actual "fog lights" down low for foggy conditions, and not auxiliary driving lights?

Old 08-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
I wouldn't call that "very little info". You've found exactly what you have to do if you want OEM factory fog lights. I installed this myself on my car and it's a lot of work. Programming means after installing everything, take the car to the dealer and tell them to activate the fog light on the computer.

Just to be clear... you want actual "fog lights" down low for foggy conditions, and not auxiliary driving lights?
Yes correct... not driving/rally lights. Actual fog lights that go down into those holes below the parking lights.

Well, looks like Ill have to see what the work is like to go with aftermarket and get a switch rather than getting factory fit fog lights. Anyone know if its any different ie. easier or harder going aftermarket? I know going aftermarket i run the risk of it not working properly or the longevity of it.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:40 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
You can purchase the OEM fog light fixtures, which will fit correctly ($67 each, http://www.ecstuning.com/ES173915/). Then do custom wiring and switch.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
what's your target?

Do you want lights in the OE holes

AND / OR

controlled by a toggle in the factory bank?????

IF so, this is gonna cost you both time and money

If you want to DIY you can have nice fogs for $100 . . . .

Old 08-02-2015, 03:54 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
The OEM retrofit kit is only $139 (http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-C...B16A/ES173352/). You should be able to find a toggle panel on eBay for a reasonable price. That would leave cost of installation and programming. Installation would take about half day for someone familiar with working on an R53.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:58 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
+1 with what rkw said.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
wiring those (or any other) lights to a simple switch is a piece of cake

here's the simplest diagram I can find

(the BOX with the numbers is a standard relay for adding a set of lights ... the numbers APPEAR on the relay as labels for the terminals . . .)

these parts can be found at any auto parts store and should run around $30. Soldering skills are helpful; or a crimping tool and some crimp type connectors. I use heat shrink on all connections to seal out water as well. Wiring this usually takes about an hour if you know what you are doing . . . takes longer to decide where to put the switch (which can be a simple toggle, or a rocker and even LIT if you want to get fancy) There are KITS that have the parts as well, all bundled up, but you PAY for the convenience. Google AUXILIARY LIGHT WIRING KIT

PM me if you want more help, or buy the lights and bring the car over. I'll install 'em if you buy lunch (and pay for the parts) .... kinda long drive tho .... would have been less if I still lived in Novato

(getting those OE lights into the holes on a GEN1 is not a small task . . you do not have access without some disassembly as I recall)

there ARE ways to mount aftermarket fogs low so as to be truly effective as fogs ..... some say, much MORE effective than the factory fogs .... a matter of opinion tho

Last edited by Capt_bj; 08-03-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
wiring those (or any other) lights to a simple switch is a piece of cake

here's the simplest diagram I can find

(the BOX with the numbers is a standard relay for adding a set of lights ... the numbers APPEAR on the relay as labels for the terminals . . .)

these parts can be found at any auto parts store and should run around $30. Soldering skills are helpful; or a crimping tool and some crimp type connectors. I use heat shrink on all connections to seal out water as well. Wiring this usually takes about an hour if you know what you are doing . . . takes longer to decide where to put the switch (which can be a simple toggle, or a rocker and even LIT if you want to get fancy) There are KITS that have the parts as well, all bundled up, but you PAY for the convenience. Google AUXILIARY LIGHT WIRING KIT

PM me if you want more help, or buy the lights and bring the car over. I'll install 'em if you buy lunch (and pay for the parts) .... kinda long drive tho .... would have been less if I still lived in Novato

(getting those OE lights into the holes on a GEN1 is not a small task . . you do not have access without some disassembly as I recall)

there ARE ways to mount aftermarket fogs low so as to be truly effective as fogs ..... some say, much MORE effective than the factory fogs .... a matter of opinion tho
Thank you guys all for the replies, I guess I'll do a little more research and just decide on how to go about this. Capt_bj - I will be pm'n you to get more info and see how local you are... Like I mentioned, I am clueless when it comes to wiring so Id rather have someone who knows what they're doing, do it for a price I am willing to pay. Thanks again everyone!

Old 08-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Quick update - Went to my local audio guys down the street where my friend works, and they're going to wire it up for me.

Just have to attach the lights and bring it in since they will be installing a new radio/audio equipment on my car (they have wiring, switches, etc.)

Will update this once its done... Going to order the kit from ECS right now.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:53 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor

Will update this once its done... Going to order the kit from ECS right now.

Awesome, thanks

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-13-2015, 07:03 AM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
So quick update, ordered the Projector Fogs and apparently theres a Typhoon in Taiwan
Long story short, I get my money back and back to square one... So to confirm, if I end up doing custom wiring and switch, I need just the fog lights themselves and some bulbs, Retrofit Kit not needed?

Old 08-13-2015, 07:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Fog lights themselves: w/ bulbs

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_R50_R53_Depo_Fog_Light_Kit_S_JCW_John_Cooper_ Works_Split_2002_2003_2004_2005_2006/

Old 08-13-2015, 07:17 AM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Welp, looks like ECS will be taking my money again

Ill order up a set this afternoon/evening then...Thanks as always

Old 08-13-2015, 07:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:07 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
without the wiring harness it may be slightly more complicated to figure out the wiring as the lights probably are 'expecting' some funky connector. But in the end all they need is 12v and a ground . . .

But I recall you have help with the wiring so this should not pose a significant issue . . .

Last edited by Capt_bj; 08-13-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:56 PM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
without the wiring harness it may be slightly more complicated to figure out the wiring as the lights probably are 'expecting' some funky connector. But in the end all they need is 12v and a ground . . .

But I recall you have help with the wiring so this should not pose a significant issue . . .
I do have help... audio place said just come in when I get the lights and they've got all the wiring and switches to get it installed. They've done a few custom stuff for my past cars, so I don't see this as a problem to them but we'll see how it turns out.

Looking at the ECS kit it doesn't come with a wiring harness anyways...?

Old 08-13-2015, 11:36 PM
Sp4rtan
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Retrofit instructions

In case anyone is wondering what is involved in installing the retrofit kit, these cover it pretty well. Not a small job!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fog_Light_Retrofit.pdf (757.0 KB, 517 views)
Old 08-14-2015, 04:57 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
I do have help... audio place said just come in when I get the lights and they've got all the wiring and switches to get it installed. They've done a few custom stuff for my past cars, so I don't see this as a problem to them but we'll see how it turns out.

Looking at the ECS kit it doesn't come with a wiring harness anyways...?
the second number they gave you is just the lights fixture and bulb from the description

Old 08-14-2015, 05:30 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
the second number they gave you is just the lights fixture and bulb from the description

Yep, just the set of light housings and the bulbs. The full kit with install wiring is linked above.

I posted only the set as you were going to use some aftermarket wiring.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:57 AM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sp4rtan
In case anyone is wondering what is involved in installing the retrofit kit, these cover it pretty well. Not a small job!
Honestly doesn't seem too involved or intense to me... its the cost for it all is the problem. Because the Kit itself is $140, a new toggle bank is another $120 or so... and who knows how much MINI will charge to code it.

Rather just get the OEM housing and do custom wiring starting to second guess doing fog lights after all

Old 08-14-2015, 07:59 AM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
so then does the retrofit kit actually come with the wiring harness? Did I miss it in the description...

EDIT: Did see the wiring harness... would I be better off just ordering the kit and then doing custom wiring from harness to switch? Or just housing with bulbs and let the shop deal with the rest

Old 08-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
might be a question you want to ask the person that's going to do the work

all the harness really gives you is the fancy plug that mates to the socket on the light. Getting around this is not rocket science but IF you HAVE the plug with wires attached ... all you need to do is cut the plug off the harness and splice to the wire ends ....

I think I mentioned in a PM, that IF you were doing this on your own many parts of the OE kit could be used even if wiring up something yourself .... wire is wire ... an inline fuse pretty standard and there's a good chance even the relay is nothing special and would work on a DIY wiring solution.