Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Putting the 6-speed transmission in the base

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:44 PM
fwtcc
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting the 6-speed transmission in the base

It has been brought to my attention that my transmission is toast. That being said, if I have to spend the money on putting another transmission in it, I would prefer it to be an upgrade. After searching the site and it not accepting "6" or "six" as searchable terms and a google search of "site:www.nort...." I did not see anything on the forum about performing this switch. What is the process involved with switching the 5 speed out for the 6 speed? Thanks!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:57 PM
ThomB
5th Gear
I found some information searching for transmission.

From what I read you need the flywheel / Clutch and shifter cables for a 6-speed and everything else seems to be the same.
I did read one article about losing cruise control but I believe that was someone trying to move from an automatic to a 6-speed.

I too have been told that my transmission needs to be replaced and decided that I'd probably try going with the 6-speed as well but I think at this point I'm going to let it grenade itself before doing anything. I'm just getting s rubbing noise that I'm not sure is bad enough for the investment.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
You also need R53 axles, starter, shifter cable bracket, slave cylinder, hard line for slave, transmission mount bracket, and bolts for said bracket. There is a dust cover for the trans that noone tells you about, but you need (might get lucky and it's included with the used trans). Then you have to custom rig your reverse light switch, and airbox (doesn't clear the new trans bracket). Everything else is direct bolt in. My car doesn't have cruise, so I didn't have to face that. Performance will drop due to the heavier flywheel and less than optimal gear ratios. Even if you use a facelift 6 speed with the better ratios, they still aren't as matched to the car as the Midlands. You can use a lightened flywheel, but the drawbacks are cost, and reliability (if aluminium). I used a Exedy singlemass conversion kit, from which the flywheel weighed 20lbs - still heavier than the 17lb (I think) R50 flywheel. Stock R53 dual mass flywheel is close to 27lbs. And of course it's a Getrag, meaning the shifting is notchy. That's easy to reconcile when you know it's bulletproof, though. It's pretty damn expensive, all said and done. The axles and starter are the big killers. You can find them used, but even the used prices are high due to the demand. I don't want to discourage anyone from tackling the conversion. But I urge anyone contemplating this to price EVERYTHING out beforehand, to know what you are in for. You can easily spend more (just in parts) than your car is worth. If you're high miles like me, it's almost guaranteed. I don't regret it, though. I plan to keep my car a long time, and I'll get my money's worth out of those new and low mileage junkyard parts.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:22 AM
ThomB
5th Gear
I know this isn't a 6-speed transmission but there is a seller on eBay selling rebuilt transmissions out of the UK. I asked about a rebuild kit he had listed for the early coopers (Midlands) to see if he possibly had a kit for the Getrag transmissions too. His answer is below.
you have the 5 speed Getrag - This Kit will not fit.
I have rebuilt units @ $1700 - 22 in stock
NEW Units - $2300 - 12 in Stock
Bearing / Seal Kits - $499
Prices quoted are NO Core Return and NEXT DAY to USA.
Paypal OK.
Best Regards JTee
Mini Gearboxes Limited. (eBay seller mini-gearboxes-limited)

Not sure if that will help. His rebuild units are about 1/2 the price the dealer quoted me to install a replacement for my car.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:47 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Waymotorworks is actually doing this conversion in the shop...think he has a few posts on it.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 PM
fwtcc
1st Gear
Thanks for the help. I'm going to give it some consideration. I have to get new axles any way too. I'll keep everyone notified on how it goes down.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:10 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
If you already have a 5spd manual it will be much easier.
You'll need:
Clutch Flywheel kit
Axles
trans mount
clutch line
shift cables
shift cable mount
starter
DDM intake

We have many used parts that can make it much cheaper.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-17-2012, 04:12 PM
mimini1
3rd Gear
My 2002 was just converted to the 6 speed Getrag. One thing I would make sure I would get when you buy parts is the r53 right axle support. I found out the hard way that not all new axles come with it and it is very hard to obtain.
As far as performance goes it is slightly slower in first but I cannot tell any difference in any other gear. I was pleasantly surprised to find it is just about as easy to launch in first as it was. My cruise control still works,though I have heard some times this is not the case.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:32 AM
butlerana
Banned
I incline toward your idea.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 AM
BABY J
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ SPAM. Zap him mods.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:59 PM
5minutes
1st Gear
Im in the same spot, my 5 spd went and ive befriended a tech at the dealer over the years and he said its no problem to put the 6spd in. New "S" fly wheel, "S" clutch, "S" clutch slave cylinder, "S" shifter assembly, "S" axles, "S" starter. I also read an article that said the 2nd gen 6spd getrag in the in the later gen 1 minis has a better (shorter) gear ratio for the non-boosted-Cooper. Personally the list is extensive as is the work. And i would want mostly new parts and then i ask myself if its worth it. Both in a fiscal and time sense.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Duncan1800
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ThomB
I found some information searching for transmission.

From what I read you need the flywheel / Clutch and shifter cables for a 6-speed and everything else seems to be the same.
I did read one article about losing cruise control but I believe that was someone trying to move from an automatic to a 6-speed.

I too have been told that my transmission needs to be replaced and decided that I'd probably try going with the 6-speed as well but I think at this point I'm going to let it grenade itself before doing anything. I'm just getting s rubbing noise that I'm not sure is bad enough for the investment.
Define "rubbing noise" - I just got my '04 with the stock 5-speed, and I'd like to know what to listen for, if possible. I only have 82k miles - is this something I should be concerned about yet?

Old 04-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Carlo Angelo Brogdon
Neutral
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
If you already have a 5spd manual it will be much easier.
You'll need:
Clutch Flywheel kit
Axles
trans mount
clutch line
shift cables
shift cable mount
starter
DDM intake

We have many used parts that can make it much cheaper.
My mechanic is on his way to Chicago topick up a 6 speed tranny for my r50 mini cooper 5 speed. Do you have the parts that I need to make the conversion possible and if you do can you pls tell me the prices of each? I truly appreciate it

Old 04-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Fixing The Weak Link

Everything you'll need to know.

I considered doing it when my Midland transmission bit the bullet, but considering the cost of parts I opted for the R53 instead. The labor isn't very intense, it's just a long, pricey list of parts. Not trying to sway your decision any way. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.