Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Aftermarket R56 Stereo Unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Danjor
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket R56 Stereo Unit

Hi guys,
I have a 2009/09 Mini Cooper S. I decided on a whim one night to but a NoName Chinese Multimedia Player. The unit still works really well... However, I very quickly realised after taking out the key it forgets all it's settings after about 20 mins?

Its a shame because it's great otherwise. I have searched the internet for hours to find a resolution, I've read numerous fixes that involve swapping the red and yellow wires in the harness, the harness it came with only has the yellow (12v constant) wire, I tried moving that to the 12v switched connector but it wouldn't turn on.

I have contacted the support in Hong Kong who have passed me around many different techs and engineers who all ultimately ask me to push the pin to 'Factory Reset' which doesn't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket R56 Stereo Unit-thumb_img_0455_1024.jpg  
Old 10-25-2015, 12:52 AM
qwispichkn
Neutral
How did the install go? Was it plug and play or did you have to do alot or wiring. Sounds like you are missing a constant hot connection if you are losing settings. Where did you buy it?

Old 10-25-2015, 04:24 AM
Danjor
Neutral
I replied earlier with a web link and it went to the moderators, so I'll try again.

The unit is meant to be plug and play, the installation was pretty easy and when its on it looks works great, as described on the website.

Incidentally it will only turn on with the key in and ignition on? Do you think I could run another wire directly from the battery or another constant feed from the fuse box?

If you google Zestech ZT-BM708 you'll see the unit I ordered.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:07 AM
qwispichkn
Neutral
Sounds like you need a constant on. Shouldn't have to run to battery, but someone with more knowledge chime in.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:35 PM
mlivvy
1st Gear
Where are you getting the Constant and Switched? The metra harness only has constant and you need to run a switched line.

Nevermind I thought it was a double din unit.

Last edited by mlivvy; 10-25-2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: saw the pic
Old 10-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Danjor
Neutral
It has a separate screen unit which takes the switched power from where the old speedo was and then sends it to the DVD HU. This is working fine, the new speedo lights up along with the internal courtesy lights, start/stop button etc when you press to open the doors. I suspect this is why the unit powers up with the ignition.

I've checked and double checked, the yellow wire on the harness is connected to the constant +12v from the car. I've changed fuses, swapped the wire to 12v switched, nothing I have done fixes the problem, it still loses settings after 20-30 mins. I haven't tried to connect it to another constant feed yet, mainly as I don't know which one to tap into!

Could this be a fault with the unit?

Old 10-25-2015, 01:09 PM
Danjor
Neutral
The unit has a separate screen which replaces the speedo and has its own feed, the switched 12v is sent from there to the DVD HU.

The new screen/speedo lights up along with the courtesy lights, start/stop button etc when the remote is used to open the doors. This seems to be working fine and I suspect is providing the power to the HU when the ignition is started.

The yellow wire on the harness is connected to the constant +12v feed for the old radio. I've tried moving it to the switched 12v, changed the fuses and nothing I've done stores the settings, after 20-30 mins they've all gone.

I haven't tried to connect to another +12v feed yet, mainly because I dont know which wire to tap into!

I did read somewhere that the stock system is designed to cut all power after 20 mins to save the battery.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:53 AM
Danjor
Neutral
I found the problem with saving settings if anyone is interested.

I have just had the brake fluid change done on the car and the dealer forgot to reset the service indicator, it had turned red flashing up every time I started the car. I reset it myself while I was working out the radio and amazingly, the problem has gone!

Old 10-26-2015, 11:56 AM
qwispichkn
Neutral
Glad you got it figured out. Would really like to see some install picks, as I am wanting to do this myself.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Danjor
Neutral
The actual install is very straight forward. I searched for a video of which bits of the dashboard to take off, removed the old speedo unit and boost HU, the new one was plug and play, no coding required.

I did have a few issues though, its designed to fit the R56 LCI so I had to get the updated centre console. I just searched on a well known auction site and got one fairly cheaply and as a bonus this came with the updated black and chrome ACC/Toggle switch unit.

There were also some import/customs costs to pay before DHL would deliver it, however from order confirmation to my door in the UK only took 3 days!

The support is a bit 'sketchy' to say the least, it takes an age to answer any queries and I suspect they just copy and paste in to some translation engine and do the same for the reply.

Obviously the build quality is not like a well known brand, however it's pretty good, it looks great, almost stock. Even the dealer mechanic commented how good it looked when I had my brake fluid changed.

It also sounds way better than the stock stereo. The radio works flawlessly and more importantly to me the USB supports sticks up to 32GB and gives a good responsive UI to select my music files, shows album/track name, album cover picture etc. It worked straight away with my iPhone 5s, you can stream music via bluetooth but you get a better UI when you connect the lightning cable to the USB, which also charges.

The price compared to attempting a retrofit stock Nav was a no brainer, so I gave it a punt, I'm pleased I did...

Old 10-26-2015, 02:26 PM
Danjor
Neutral
What is it with all my replies going to the moderators?

Anyway, the install is pretty straight forward, old speedo and boost HU out, new one in, no coding required!

The build quality is obviously not as good as branded units but it looks pretty good, almost stock.

The UI is different to the one in your video from a previous post, it looks more like an iPhone interface. The screen is responsive, it supports USB sticks up to 32GB and my iPhone 5s connected without issue.

The cost compared to trying to retrofit a stock Nav was a major factor in giving it a go, I'm glad I did.......

I can take a few pictures tomorrow if you like?

Old 10-27-2015, 02:47 AM
Danjor
Neutral
The install is pretty straight forward. Old speedo and Boost HU out, new one in plug and play, no coding needed.

The build quality is obviously not as good as branded units, however it looks good, almost stock. It sounds better than the Boost and is far more functional, Bluetooth, up to 32GB USB, iGO Primo Nav and the UI is quick and responsive.

If you have any issues with it though the support is almost non-existent, I suspect when you contact the support they copy and paste into a translate page on their browser, then do the same with the answer. Just as you feel you're getting somewhere you'll take 2 steps back. I gave up asking for support from the seller.

I decided to give it a go, mainly for ease of install and price compared to trying to retrofit the stock system, glad I did.....

The system is installed now but I could take a few pics with my phone if you'd like.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Danjor
Neutral
I have posted some pics in another thread over on the mini2 dot com website. It's the Cooper S specific forum.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Jarvistech
1st Gear
I'm thinking about purchasing one of these Android Aftermarket radios for my R55. Have you noticed any issues with the cars ECU? I read somewhere that taking out the factory radio causes issues if you were to bring the car in for service to MINI. Does anyone know if this is true and if its a big deal? Also, Will the LED's on the speedometer be in Kilometers if I own a MPH North American car?

Old 01-26-2017, 08:39 AM
Jarvistech
1st Gear
Old 03-26-2017, 08:15 PM
Garlap Tsoi
Neutral
Originally Posted by Danjor
I found the problem with saving settings if anyone is interested.

I have just had the brake fluid change done on the car and the dealer forgot to reset the service indicator, it had turned red flashing up every time I started the car. I reset it myself while I was working out the radio and amazingly, the problem has gone!
Hi Danjor,

I would like to know what exactly you have done to solve the issue? Did you only reset the service indicator in the tachometer?

I have a similar unit in WINCE 6, and it does not remember the clock setting.

Also, does you unit only turn ON in ignition mode? (i.e. after insert the key, you have to press START once or start the engine to start the unit)?

Many Thanks!