Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior R56 Gauge Install - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 PM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Gauge Install - Need Help

Trying to install 3 gauges - Oil pressure, Oil Temp, and water Temp. --Have already searched and found nothing about the OEM sending units.
Using Craven Speed pods have the gauges in car already but trying to find where the original equipment oil pressure sender and the water temp sender on the '07 R-56 MCS is. It looks like there are two sending units on the drivers end of the block in between the cams in the head. One is horizontal and one is verticle as compared to the block. Are these the sending units I'm looking for ? Does anybody know ?
I'm hoping that someone knows insted of me just pulling these units to see if they are the ones I need.
Thanks in advance.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:29 PM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
No one know about the R-56 ? Wow...

Old 11-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get water temp from the OBC, but I have no idea where the sending unit is. Does the R56 even have oil pressure and temp sending units? AFAICT, the OBC doesn't have oil temp or pressure. A ScanGaugeII wont report either of them.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:21 PM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
You can get water temp from the OBC, but I have no idea where the sending unit is. Does the R56 even have oil pressure and temp sending units? AFAICT, the OBC doesn't have oil temp or pressure. A ScanGaugeII wont report either of them.
Yep - They use it to kill the engine if there is no oil pressure. So it's there , just have to find it. The Oil temp can be done at the same point the pressure is done at.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:20 PM
genik
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if someone can help with this one i advise to make a video out of this and post it also here...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=119008
trying to make a database of a "how to" section for our minis!

Old 11-06-2007, 07:03 PM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
Well I'm not getting anywhere with this. No one seems to know. I've called my dealer and they won't let me talk to a service tech , plus the SA is out of the country for 3 weeks and no one left in the Service group seems to know. The R-56 is going on a year old some one has to have found the sending units by now.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:58 AM
obscurity
2nd Gear
If it is any help I would like to know how this is accomplished as well. I don't have my car yet but when it arrives just about the only thing I want to do to it is add more instrumentation.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:58 PM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
Ok ... Found some info today on the net ... go to this web page -- http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=11&fg=15

And it shows the R-56 Cylinder Head - look at part 11 - This is listed as a -OIL PRESSURE SWITCH - This must be the place - the same picture does NOT show the Water Temp Sending unit which I think is in the same area just in the Verticle plane below bracket Part number 8 . I will try before the week is out - and get some pics to put here also.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:59 PM
oldopelguy
3rd Gear
digging

Temp sensor is listed in this one:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...31&hg=11&fg=35

Old 11-08-2007, 01:34 AM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
Ok there we go !!!!! Looks like a plan. Hope to do today or tomorrow at latest. Will get pics also... Thanks oldopelguy !!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:07 PM
DeK
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello,

I am interesting for make this operation for my S R56, who is the OIL sensor (i don't whant use the OIL pressure sensor)

the OIL sensor can be mounted to replace the drain plug as the R53 ???

I have built auxiliry gauge at my old R53 163PS (MINI instruction)

Is this the same diameter

Old 11-09-2007, 04:29 PM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
Don't know yet DeK - postponed the install till next Monday or Tuesday as the shop I'm going to use is still being used for Classic Mini work. Hopefully will get my MCS in on one of those Two days. will report back with pics then.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:25 AM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
Ok - The pics on the OEM site are correct - The horizontal Sending unit is Oil - so the Verticle must be water - Problem - on the oil pressure sending unit I used the Adapter from Craven Speed to insert the oil pressure sending unit while keeping the original Sending unit to kep the ECU happy - when you try to screw it in it won't go - I must have looked at this for about a hour trying to figure out what the heck is happening - The thermostat housing rests just below the oil sending unit and the seam for the halfs of this unit pushes up on anything extended out of the oil sending feed hole. So the adapter will not screw in. Some one might be able to grind the thermostat housing down enough to make a adapter fit , but may compromise the seal on the thermostat housing. Some thing with a 45 degree up angle needs to be there for the oil sending unit
All in all some people have used the oil filter housing for the perpose of oil Temp. and some have used the Oil drain plug in the oil pan and used a adapter there.
I personally don't like those two options. The oil filter housing is too thin to be drilling on it. The oil drain plug is going to be in and out every so often ( don't like removing and reinstalling this adapter again and again)

The only thing I can think of that's easy is a short custom [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]hydraulic[/SIZE][/FONT] hose with adapters on each end - Male 3/8 NPT and other end Female 3/8 NPT (National Pipe Thread). A 250 lb pressure hose with a Stainless Braided covering should take care of any abrasion from the outside. I'm going to check locally for someone to make this and see how much it will cost - will report back soon

Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Candyman
Banned
For water temp, why don't you use a hose adapter?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:33 AM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
Candyman , that might be the best way for the water temp. was thinking about it but have been sidetracked by the oil pressure/temp unit problem.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:55 PM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
Went by a Rubber Hose Industrial Supplier today after getting my JCW put on finally. Had them make a custom hose for me. Rubber - Oil is ok with it - had a 3/8 NPT female on one end and a male 3/8 NPT on the other end. Will work for now with the Tapless adapter from Craven Speed. Want to make one with Stainless Braid on the hose to help stop any abrasion when installed. Will probably have to connect a ground wire on the adapter also for the Sending units. Have thought about making a manifold to hold the orginal sending unit plus two more. The only issue is that hose. This stuff I'm using is good to 300 PSI and 300 degrees F . It will rock with the engine as it is attached to the engine. If your careful of placement it should be ok without the braid, but I would use the braid just in case. The best part ----- the hose with the 3/8 NPT adapters connected $3.90. Can't beat that.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 AM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
Well it all went to hell in a hand basket. It looks like the threads in the head are NOT 3/8 NPT but rather a 3/8 BSP - British Standard Pipe - going to trie the rubber hose thing again, if I can find a supplier for this BSP thing.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:38 AM
obscurity
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mikeyb17
Well it all went to hell in a hand basket. It looks like the threads in the head are NOT 3/8 NPT but rather a 3/8 BSP - British Standard Pipe - going to trie the rubber hose thing again, if I can find a supplier for this BSP thing.

You may be able to find what you need at www.mcmaster.com. If you are not familiar they are an industrial supplier who sells just about everything. Although a bit pricier than some.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BSP taps are available from www.newmantools.com.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:37 PM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
Both McMaster-Carr and MSC (Manhatten Supply Co.) carry the adapters needed. I have ordered one as of tonight but it will probably not shipped till next Monday - I'm only a 2 day UPS ground run from their (MSC) Pa. Warehouse. I ordered both BSPP and BSPT - the BSPP is straight pipe and the BSPT is a tapered pipe (like most US piping) As soon as I get them next week I'll install and find out which one is correct. Checking the orginial sendind unit shows it should be BSPP - but since I've been wrong on this journey before :impatient I ordered both to make sure. The BSPP is $17.XX and the BSPT was $10.XX so it figures it will be the more expensive one. We'll see.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:07 PM
R56-S
2nd Gear
Can't wait to see photos of this I've been waiting for someone to tackle this for months. I also would like oil pressure and water temp gauges. Thanks for all your hard work so far.

Carl

Old 11-22-2007, 08:40 AM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
When everything works I'l get photos.
In a internet search I found that some of the Toyota engines use BSPP for their oil pressure sending units also. So we're not alone out here.
Hey Candyman - Now I need to know what size the rad hose is to get the right size hose adapter. Any one know the inside diameter of the MSC Rad hoses ?

Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 AM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
This is getting really old. A few years ago some one borrowed my Metric screw pitch gauge, maybe if I had it now this would never have happened. It's NOT a BSPP thread in the head. After consulting a machinist friend with a screw pitch gauge I have found "it looks like 16mm X 1.5mm " Oh how I hate that "it looks like" part. I'm going to the hose place today to get another one made again. This time Metric X NPT and hope this one works. If they have the parts I'll let everyone know late today. Keep your fingers crossed for this one to work.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:17 AM
mikeyb17
2nd Gear
ok - The thread in the cylinder head is 16mm X 1.5 mm for sure. I'll have the sending units in today. The wiring may not be finished but we'll see. Mcmasters-Carr carries a manifold that looks just right to hook 3 sending units up - Oil Pressure (the stock sender), Oil Pressure (the Gauge) and the oil temp. for the gauge. May have to order one of these to make it all neat. When finished I'll have the suppliers of parts and part numbers, plus pics.

Last edited by mikeyb17; 11-29-2007 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:55 AM
bushman66
2nd Gear
Bump...how is this going Mikeyb17?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior R56 Gauge Install - Need Help