How To OctaneGuy: Magnaflow Exhaust Install on 2010 Clubman S

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OctaneGuy: Magnaflow Exhaust Install on 2010 Clubman S

I purchased a Magnaflow exhaust for my 2010 Clubman S and documented the install. It wasn't a difficult install, though it still took me about 3 hours using all the best tools for an exhaust install including a lift and air tools! As with all DIY articles, I'm glad to help you if you encounter problems, but I cannot accept any responsibility if you mess things up, or otherwise hurt yourself because you read my writeup on how I installed my own exhaust. One more disclaimer. I am not a mechanic, so there might be better ways to do an exhaust install. This is just how I did mine.

So the first thing I did was to take out all the items from the box and make sure all the parts were there. I laid out the exhaust on the floor to get an idea how things go together. I also compared it to the stock install. There are 4 clamps included and you need to make one cut. Use whatever tool you want, I have an air powered saw. I used a coarse blade. I needed 10mm, 13mm, 15mm sockets.

Here is my Clubbie in my shop on my lift.

From below you can see the stock exhaust

From the side of the car, look for the catalytic converter

Here it is

Using a tape measure, measure 3 inches back from the weld line

Mark it with a Sharpie

Using my air saw

Once it cut through the exhaust, cutting was easy.

After cutting for several minutes and cutting almost all the way through, I decided to loosen and remove the support plate.

I've got an air ratchet for this

There are 6 bolts to remove. For me this middle one needed a wrench due to my lift support being in the way

To finish the cutting of my exhaust, I used a hacksaw

Now it's cut (sorry for the blur)

The only other disconnection to make is on the rear hangers. I found removing the nuts that hold the rear hangers in place the easiest way to do this.

With them removed, the whole exhaust could be pulled out

Here is what it looks like with the exhaust removed

Now just put the pieces together, put the clamps on first, and check the orientation so you can easily tighten them later. Leave all the clamps loose so you can adjust the tips.

To protect the finish on the tips, I left the bubble wrap in place

I slipped on the rubber hanger assembly. Some WD-40 can help here.

Then I put it into place and fastened the nuts

Close up of the hangers

Repeat on the other side

Check everything and tighten

All done!

The instructions recommend pulling the battery before the install to reset the computer. The install wasn't difficult but since I did this alone it was a bit time consuming. Hope you found this writeup useful!

Richard Lin

Old 01-31-2011, 06:24 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
That system looks remarkable on the Clubman Richard ! Damn tips were made for it

I'm dying to hear this btw

Old 01-31-2011, 07:22 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sweet look! im digging the big tips. I am dissapointer however in the fact that you did correct the paint under the vehicle... lol

Old 01-31-2011, 12:24 PM
OctaneGuy
Thanks! I agree! As for the sound, here are some clips. Put on some headphones or on high quality speakers, the difference is substantial. On my MacBook Pro, the sound differences are subtle, but I pipe my audio into an Airport Express here in the shop hooked to a stereo system and the deep rumble sounds amazing, lol.

I stood the same distance behind the exhaust for each clip and was recorded using the Voice Memo function on my iPhone 3GS.

Stock Exhaust at Idle

Magnaflow at Idle very first startup with engine cold

Magnaflow at Idle after a couple minutes

Enjoy!

Richard

Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
That system looks remarkable on the Clubman Richard ! Damn tips were made for it

I'm dying to hear this btw

Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Rich,

Good Job, Great write-up!!! Typical Octane Guy stuff... Thanks, I'm happy now!

BTW, can you tell me how the stock exhaust tips are fastened to the muffler pipe extensions? There seems to be a set screw of some kind. Thanks again!
Dan

Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 PM
OctaneGuy
Heh heh, you're welcome!

I'll have to take a closer look but yeah, according to this pic on the far right, there appears to be a set screw.

Originally Posted by djdraddy
Hey Rich,

BTW, can you tell me how the stock exhaust tips are fastened to the muffler pipe extensions? There seems to be a set screw of some kind. Thanks again!
Dan

Old 02-04-2011, 09:36 PM
OctaneGuy
The exhaust tips are held on with a 3mm hex screw. Just unscrew it and the tips come off.

Hey Rich,

Dan

Old 02-04-2011, 11:49 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Thanks Rich. Exactly what I wanted to know.

Dan

Old 02-04-2011, 11:53 PM
OctaneGuy
You're welcome!
Thanks Rich. Exactly what I wanted to know.

Dan

Old 02-13-2011, 03:17 PM
LiL Stinker
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also put a Magnaflow system on my Laurel Clubman. But I had to do it on my back with the car on jack stands.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:24 AM
razorfish228
1st Gear
How did you connect the part where you cut? Did you weld it back or is it connected with a tube that is larger in diameter with a clamp of some sort?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 AM
OctaneGuy
Hmm, not sure why I didn't document that, but yes, it comes with clamps you slip over the connection points and just tighten the bolts. Very simple.

Originally Posted by razorfish228
How did you connect the part where you cut? Did you weld it back or is it connected with a tube that is larger in diameter with a clamp of some sort?

Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 AM
djdraddy
Banned
You're just getting old Rich, first thing to go is attention to detail.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 AM
razorfish228
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Hmm, not sure why I didn't document that, but yes, it comes with clamps you slip over the connection points and just tighten the bolts. Very simple.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking to myself that this was the most important step is to figure out how to put the new exhaust back on the part that you cut. If you didn't cut 3 inches from the weld than what would have happened? That would have been a mess if you made a mistake in length I am assuming.

It was a really nice writeup. How's the actual sound during driving. I would hate to be on a long trip with it being too loud to hear myself or the music. I have a 2011 Clubman S and I think the interior noise is a bit loud on long trips. I'm comparing to my old C-Class which was so quiet inside until you really hit the acceleration hard.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 AM
OctaneGuy
The clamps just need to hold the existing pipe and the new pipe and if your cut is less than 3inches, say 2.5 or probably even 2 inches you should still be fine. I don't think the distance is that critical as you do have some adjustment still with the sleeve/clamp. I have a photo of that sleeve portion that I didn't post.

There is drone when I'm in Sport Mode and on the freeway. I tend to drive in non sport mode on the freeway, when I don't need the lightning quick throttle response, and prefer to save gas by lowering the revs, and this in turn keeps the drone away.

The reasons to do an exhaust are for the sound and additional modest power gains....if you just want better looking tips, don't change the exhaust..find tips you like and get them welded on.

With my intake and exhaust, it all sounds aggressive when I'm on the gas..the way I like it, but it's quiet and subdued when I'm just cruising around. The sound at idle is much deeper than stock...I like it.

Richard

Originally Posted by razorfish228
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking to myself that this was the most important step is to figure out how to put the new exhaust back on the part that you cut. If you didn't cut 3 inches from the weld than what would have happened? That would have been a mess if you made a mistake in length I am assuming.

It was a really nice writeup. How's the actual sound during driving. I would hate to be on a long trip with it being too loud to hear myself or the music. I have a 2011 Clubman S and I think the interior noise is a bit loud on long trips. I'm comparing to my old C-Class which was so quiet inside until you really hit the acceleration hard.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:03 AM
OctaneGuy
Haha I don't disagree, lol.
You're just getting old Rich, first thing to go is attention to detail.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Thanks for the writeup and the sound clips. I have spent the last day listening to exhausts . The Magnaflow is my front runner currently. I don't actually take delivery of my new MCS for a couple more weeks so I am still debating. I may just wait until I go to the Dragon and listen to as many as I can in person before deciding. I like the Alta, too.
Oh, and Richard, Thanks for the help on the detailing order. I received everything and have set up my detailing corner in my garage. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me the first time I get out the PC .
Annette

Old 03-02-2011, 08:09 AM
OctaneGuy
Hi Annette!

You're welcome! The whole exhaust research can be daunting. Really as you're thinking, the best thing is to listen to them in person and decide. There is no hurry to change over from the factory one, lol.

re:
Order and help
Absolutely! Glad to be able to help you! And certainly call me up when you start polishing.

Richard

Originally Posted by BoCRon
Thanks for the writeup and the sound clips. I have spent the last day listening to exhausts . The Magnaflow is my front runner currently. I don't actually take delivery of my new MCS for a couple more weeks so I am still debating. I may just wait until I go to the Dragon and listen to as many as I can in person before deciding. I like the Alta, too.
Oh, and Richard, Thanks for the help on the detailing order. I received everything and have set up my detailing corner in my garage. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me the first time I get out the PC .
Annette

Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
I alway find myself looking at you clubbys bum in this thread... Looks mighty good lol

Old 05-26-2011, 04:11 PM
1825vine
2nd Gear
Hi Richard,
What kind of air intake do you have? Thanks.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Kitti
Neutral
After u install the exhaust. Do it show a check engine light?

Old 07-04-2011, 11:57 PM
OctaneGuy
Nope, no CEL. Still running great!

Richard

Originally Posted by Kitti
After u install the exhaust. Do it show a check engine light?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Kitti
Neutral
Thanks Richard. But I read in the detail of the exhaust the pipe it's just 2.25 not 2.5. Is it the same size of oem?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Rusnak_322
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
The clamps just need to hold the existing pipe and the new pipe and if your cut is less than 3inches, say 2.5 or probably even 2 inches you should still be fine. I don't think the distance is that critical as you do have some adjustment still with the sleeve/clamp. I have a photo of that sleeve portion that I didn't post.

There is drone when I'm in Sport Mode and on the freeway. I tend to drive in non sport mode on the freeway, when I don't need the lightning quick throttle response, and prefer to save gas by lowering the revs, and this in turn keeps the drone away.

The reasons to do an exhaust are for the sound and additional modest power gains....if you just want better looking tips, don't change the exhaust..find tips you like and get them welded on.

With my intake and exhaust, it all sounds aggressive when I'm on the gas..the way I like it, but it's quiet and subdued when I'm just cruising around. The sound at idle is much deeper than stock...I like it.

Richard
I know that this post is a year old, but do you have a tune on the car? If no, how does sport mode change the drone or gas mileage? I am looking to put a exhaust on and want to avoid the drone

Old 03-29-2012, 07:45 PM
hamptup
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rusnak_322
I know that this post is a year old, but do you have a tune on the car? If no, how does sport mode change the drone or gas mileage? I am looking to put a exhaust on and want to avoid the drone
^^^^^^^
This!

Any interior sound clips at all ranges of driving?