General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI service advisor

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 05:00 PM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MINI service advisor

So I just started a couple of weeks ago as a service advisor for my local MINI store and I'm happy to help anybody with vehicle history or service questions whatever you guys need let me know. Not trying to sell service and I'm not trying to advertise for business I just genuinely want to help anyone who needs it. If it's not appropriate for me to post this please let me know and I'll delete the thread.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:21 PM
14R55S
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be interested in your comments on this thread started yesterday.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-question.html

Old 07-30-2015, 05:29 PM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 14R55S
I'd be interested in your comments on this thread started yesterday.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-question.html
We can only perform warranty maintenance when your key data shows your due or if your within 2,000 miles of being due so people like myself who change oil every 5k will have to pay for every other oil change but the boot to bonnet coverage is worth extending if you plan on keeping it stock because it cover your brake jobs clutch oil changes etc and usually it's about $2k extra to extend the coverage to 72mnths/100k from in service date. Hope that helps.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:36 PM
14R55S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Fiveostang
We can only perform warranty maintenance when your key data shows your due or if your within 2,000 miles of being due so people like myself who change oil every 5k will have to pay for every other oil change but the boot to bonnet coverage is worth extending if you plan on keeping it stock because it cover your brake jobs clutch oil changes etc and usually it's about $2k extra to extend the coverage to 72mnths/100k from in service date. Hope that helps.
Not sure why I would extend it. With my current miles, it looks like I will have to pay for ALL my oil changes. I could only have 9,000 miles on the car in 3 years. Am I missing something?

Old 07-30-2015, 05:42 PM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
Not sure why I would extend it. With my current miles, it looks like I will have to pay for ALL my oil changes. I could only have 9,000 miles on the car in 3 years. Am I missing something?
Yes your missing something it's time based too but if your only looking at the maintenance plan for free $69 oil changes your missing the brake services (flushes, pads, rotors) microfilter air filter clutch etc. all the regular maintenance items. But with the miles you drive it may not be worth it. You're a rare bird though most people drive between 12-20k miles a year so it is worth it.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:47 PM
14R55S
3rd Gear
Thank you for your input. Last question. Just so I understand. My car went in service in July 2014. I purchased it new with 250 miles on it in September 2014. My current mileage is just short of 2,500. If I take it to the dealer where I purchased it for it's first oil change, I should expect to pay for it out of pocket?

Old 07-30-2015, 05:54 PM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
Thank you for your input. Last question. Just so I understand. My car went in service in July 2014. I purchased it new with 250 miles on it in September 2014. My current mileage is just short of 2,500. If I take it to the dealer where I purchased it for it's first oil change, I should expect to pay for it out of pocket?
No it SHOULD be free because a year has passed. I think I may have confused you when I said I change my oil every 5k. I do this because I put 5k on my car in 2-3 months. Your service schedule is every year OR when your computer says you've due based upon the oil life. it's recommended every 12mnths or I believe 10k miles but we can change it 2k miles early. Does that make sense?

Old 07-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
I will do a key read on my R55 and post a picture of my data tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:57 PM
14R55S
3rd Gear
Yes. Thank you.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:58 PM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
No problem I'm happy to help.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:34 PM
freshwater
Neutral
Engine sound

@Fiveostang

Can you see the clip and see if the Engine sound abnormal or too loud.

Just got this New Mini Base model.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ini-owner.html

Old 07-30-2015, 08:45 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Tough job being a service advisor. Did it for years myself.
What dealership r u working at?
Just remember never take anything personally.
All cars have problems and customers just need to simmer down and deal.
I think customers forget that most folks go into this field to help people.
Good luck
BTW my car made a squeak last Tuesday at 1;36 pm. Only once. Is that covered. What was it?? lol

Old 07-30-2015, 09:01 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes your missing something it's time based too but if your only looking at the maintenance plan for free $69 oil changes your missing the brake services (flushes, pads, rotors) microfilter air filter clutch etc. all the regular maintenance items. But with the miles you drive it may not be worth it. You're a rare bird though most people drive between 12-20k miles a year so it is worth it.
Not the only rare bird. Here's another!

Old 07-30-2015, 09:05 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
No it SHOULD be free because a year has passed. I think I may have confused you when I said I change my oil every 5k. I do this because I put 5k on my car in 2-3 months. Your service schedule is every year OR when your computer says you've due based upon the oil life. it's recommended every 12mnths or I believe 10k miles but we can change it 2k miles early. Does that make sense?
So you say it 'should' be free. Why is the dealership where I bought it telling me they won't change the oil for free after the 12 months has passed? Incidentally, 6 months has passed and 4400 miles since the last dealer oil change.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:02 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Starting a countdown to how long Fiveostang will be offering to help folks on this forum. After a few weeks or months of helping people at the dealership you aren't going to be so interested in doing it for free and taking grief.

btw - I wonder if your employer would be keen on you providing car histories to people? Might want to check that out first.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:08 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great public svc!

Last edited by Joeygonz; 07-30-2015 at 11:10 PM. Reason: add
Old 07-31-2015, 02:42 AM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Starting a countdown to how long Fiveostang will be offering to help folks on this forum. After a few weeks or months of helping people at the dealership you aren't going to be so interested in doing it for free and taking grief.

btw - I wonder if your employer would be keen on you providing car histories to people? Might want to check that out first.

Already did. As long as no one is trying to abuse me or treat me poorly I'm always happy to help. I got lucky and just happen to love my job.😉

Old 07-31-2015, 04:22 AM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by freshwater
@Fiveostang

Can you see the clip and see if the Engine sound abnormal or too loud.

Just got this New Mini Base model.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ini-owner.html
I'll show it to my buddy who's one of the techs today see if I can get you any insight but keep in mind it's hard to diagnose anything from a video.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:52 AM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Indimanic
Tough job being a service advisor. Did it for years myself.
What dealership r u working at?
Just remember never take anything personally.
All cars have problems and customers just need to simmer down and deal.
I think customers forget that most folks go into this field to help people.
Good luck
BTW my car made a squeak last Tuesday at 1;36 pm. Only once. Is that covered. What was it?? lol
I'm at south shore mini in Massachusetts. Customers can be a little touchy especially when they have their guard up and think your trying to take their money but if you treat people right you can usually turn them into loyal customers. I definitely got into this to try and help people. I do business the right way (not lying to people to get them to buy) and I think it makes a huge difference. As for your sqeak it's probably the flux capacitor

Old 07-31-2015, 05:54 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
I'm at south shore mini in Massachusetts. Customers can be a little touchy especially when they have their guard up and think your trying to take their money but if you treat people right you can usually turn them into loyal customers. I definitely got into this to try and help people. I do business the right way (not lying to people to get them to buy) and I think it makes a huge difference. As for your sqeak it's probably the flux capacitor
When I first went to the local dealership I was sceptical about the Service Dept. but the guy there was awesome and I had all the confidence in the world in him. I found that he was really trying to help. But then he left and everything has gone a bit pear shaped.

I think what you are doing here is fantastic and I only wish I could make you my service guy down here in Texas; the local could sure use someone who wants to help - rather than collect a paycheck.

Thanks for reaching out to the group like this. Maybe you will become the go-to Mini Guru here?

Old 07-31-2015, 07:03 AM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_42
When I first went to the local dealership I was sceptical about the Service Dept. but the guy there was awesome and I had all the confidence in the world in him. I found that he was really trying to help. But then he left and everything has gone a bit pear shaped.

I think what you are doing here is fantastic and I only wish I could make you my service guy down here in Texas; the local could sure use someone who wants to help - rather than collect a paycheck.

Thanks for reaching out to the group like this. Maybe you will become the go-to Mini Guru here?
I doubt that I'll be the guru I'm still asking the true pros for help modifying my car. I just want to give something back to the community that helped me when I first dove into the world of MINI motoring.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:06 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
I doubt that I'll be the guru I'm still asking the true pros for help modifying my car. I just want to give something back to the community that helped me when I first dove into the world of MINI motoring.
Hmmm I think you will bring more to this forum than I ever will! So you're certainly qualified to be my guru!

Old 07-31-2015, 07:16 AM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear

Ok so as promised I printed out my service check for my car which happens to be wrong it says that I haven't had an oil change in 11k miles lol but if you look on the left side you will see a couple of X's which are the services I'm due for and if you look on the right column under due in you'll see a date IE 8.2015 and or a mileage. These are what we check when look to see if your due for service. If a dealer doesn't want to do the work they are either stupid or lazy because it's free money to the store. So if you haven't had an oil change in 12 months the dealer should be doing an oil service.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:17 AM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_42
Hmmm I think you will bring more to this forum than I ever will! So you're certainly qualified to be my guru!
Thank you appreciate it.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:27 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Okay, if they are going to give it an oil change after 12 months, I'll drive in come September and give them the fob. And see if they fob me off or do the business.

If I still have the JCW by then; she's on CL right now.

Quick Reply: MINI service advisor