General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the market and concerned about reliability

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Niccolo_Machiavelli
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the market and concerned about reliability

Hi, new member here! (I hope I am posting in the correct forum, apologies if I am not).

I'm a long-time RAV4 owner ('99) looking to get a new car. The old hoss is sadly ready for the pasture, and the new RAV4s do not inspire. I saw that the MINI Countryman has a lot of the qualities I liked in the old RAV4s (great design, compact, AWD) and am thinking about getting one. I live in Mass. so AWD is a must (not for off roading, but for when the road conditions are terrible) and my driveway is on an incline.

But I read a lot about reliability issues, particularly with the Countryman. Although some folks here seem optimistic that changes to this year's models will address some of the old issues? Is that so?

Reading the forums, I can see that the folks here are super informed and helpful and was hoping that I could get some guidance. I've been out of the market a long time!

Old 05-24-2015, 02:46 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
My low mileage 2010 R56 has been trouble free, but if reliability is at the top of your priority list, you need to look elsewhere (think Japanese).

Old 05-24-2015, 02:57 PM
a2oc
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the definition of reliability (like mines) is going from point A to B without getting stranded, then mini might suit u, but if ur definition of reliability is least shop time, then you need to go look at somewhere else. My 09 R56S has been in the shop for nearly 20 times in the past 2 yrs since i own it in 2013. But it never let me got stranded at the side of the road.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:43 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Niccolo_Machiavelli
Hi, new member here! (I hope I am posting in the correct forum, apologies if I am not).

I'm a long-time RAV4 owner ('99) looking to get a new car. The old hoss is sadly ready for the pasture, and the new RAV4s do not inspire. I saw that the MINI Countryman has a lot of the qualities I liked in the old RAV4s (great design, compact, AWD) and am thinking about getting one. I live in Mass. so AWD is a must (not for off roading, but for when the road conditions are terrible) and my driveway is on an incline.

But I read a lot about reliability issues, particularly with the Countryman. Although some folks here seem optimistic that changes to this year's models will address some of the old issues? Is that so?

Reading the forums, I can see that the folks here are super informed and helpful and was hoping that I could get some guidance. I've been out of the market a long time!
The countryman, the awd model, has NOT been redesigned yet into the "f" model destination...
It still has the old "R" model chassis with the timing chain issues, and the carbon issues...it has the French Pueogot motor (co engineered with BMW/mini)...
I'd suggest you wait for the new version to be launched...
A reality check...driving a MINI is fun, but reliability wise,, it ain't no Toyoda.
More fun yes, less appliance like yes....but it does need the oil checked, yes they burn oil, and yes, they do need trips to the dealer.
as for reliability... Its a crap shoot, largely driver and habit Dependant....
Lots of motors run out of oil...some burn 1 quart per 1000 miles, and many have had issues with carbon built up in the gen2 cars, with an earlier direct injected motor design....
But many issues are from folks who modify theirs cars, run them hard, or fail to matain them...but they do need more car than an oil change every 7500 miles, and fill it up with gas...
The haveing been said...
I drove my mini for 10 years, mostly Minor issues, lots of fun. Would I do it again if I liked the new cars? Absolutely.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 05-24-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Niccolo_Machiavelli
1st Gear
Thanks for all the feedback, this is really helpful. I should clarify: it's not that reliability is my top priority (as vain and superficial as it sounds, industrial design is probably what draws me first), I just wanted to know if reliability would be a deal-breaker because of what I read on sites like CR. The RAV4s of the late 90s/early 00s had great industrial design, now they're bigger and basically look like any other mid size SUV, practically indistinguishable from a Highlander.

But I've been admiring the MINI from afar for quite a few years. So now my question is do I roll the dice and go with something which might be a bit more fussy or play it safe?

Old 05-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Niccolo_Machiavelli
Thanks for all the feedback, this is really helpful. I should clarify: it's not that reliability is my top priority (as vain and superficial as it sounds, industrial design is probably what draws me first), I just wanted to know if reliability would be a deal-breaker because of what I read on sites like CR. The RAV4s of the late 90s/early 00s had great industrial design, now they're bigger and basically look like any other mid size SUV, practically indistinguishable from a Highlander.

But I've been admiring the MINI from afar for quite a few years. So now my question is do I roll the dice and go with something which might be a bit more fussy or play it safe?
. Do It- Get to the Chopper!!! Sorry, had to steal that tired old movie line...
Get a low mileage 2012-2014 if you don't want to try out a new one. Avoid the Manual Trans versions if you're worried about the clutch life on an All4 model, and have fun.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:05 AM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I have owned a 2004 R53 and now a 2012 R56. MINIs in my mind are more temperamental than Japanese cars. I believe if you maintain them really well, stay on top of your service you will have a fun experience.

I will tell you that MINIs are without question the most fun I have ever had with a car, even with the small problems too.

Others on here will tell you about the Countryman, I understand that the first few model years there were clutch issues.

Get the newest, lowest mileage, least modded, best maintained record Countryman you can find and I think your daily drive will be full of smiles.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:23 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fastzombie
I have owned a 2004 R53 and now a 2012 R56. MINIs in my mind are more temperamental than Japanese cars. I believe if you maintain them really well, stay on top of your service you will have a fun experience.

I will tell you that MINIs are without question the most fun I have ever had with a car, even with the small problems too.

Others on here will tell you about the Countryman, I understand that the first few model years there were clutch issues.

Get the newest, lowest mileage, least modded, best maintained record Countryman you can find and I think your daily drive will be full of smiles.
I would only add, try to find one the has The Mini Cooper CPO Next certification as it will give you a two year extended Mini Cooper warranty.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:58 PM
Niccolo_Machiavelli
1st Gear
Thanks for all your advice and feedback. I'll be taking Pure Red's advice and getting in the chopper!

Old 05-31-2015, 05:15 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it depends on how far away the MINI dealer is. I'm lucky, I've got 5 of them within an hours drive. If the closest one was several hours away, I'd really have to think hard about that. (wouldn't matter what brand, if the dealer isn't close, why bother? Except for a McLaren, they will come pick the car up, but that's another story...lol)

With the 4 year warranty, and free loaner car. what's the worry?