R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Engine warning light -- Error code P0087. What does it mean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine warning light -- Error code P0087. What does it mean?

The other day the yellow engine warning light came on. My friend has a ODBC code reader and hooked it up. It gave code P0087 Fuel rail / System Pressure - Too Low. What does this mean? Is it related to the dreaded thermostat issue? My dealer is 2+ hrs away so I can't get there unless I do some planning first. Should I just keep driving it? It seems to drive just fine.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not sure by the code, but there are these 2 TSB's related to the fuel system

Make : MINI Model : COOPER S COUNTRYMAN Year : 2011
Manufacturer : BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC
Service Bulletin Number : SIM-16-01-09 Date of Bulletin : FEB 01, 2012
NHTSA Item Number : 10043722
Component : FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
Summary :
MINI: INFORMATION PROVIDED REGARDING PROCEDURE OF REPLACING FUEL LEVEL SENSOR DUE TO FAILURE ON THE RIGHT AND/OR LEFT SIDE. *PE

Service Bulletin Number : SIM-12-03-11 Date of Bulletin : JAN 01, 2012
NHTSA Item Number : 10043873
Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLER PIPE AND CAP
Summary :
MINI: SERVICE ENGINE SOON IS ILLUMINATED DUE TO TANK VENTILATION VALVE (TEV) BEING JAMMED OPEN AND FUEL CAP, WITH EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM LEAKAGE, WAS INCORRECTLY INSTALLED. *PE

Old 05-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
make sure the gas cap is tight

Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojito
make sure the gas cap is tight
+1 very common code.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:58 AM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
I retightened the gas cap and the light went away for now....thanks. It wasn't a good day for my CM and me - the same day the engine light came on a rock flew out of a dump truck ahead and cracked my windshield.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 AM
padre40
Neutral
After 1 week w/ the car, wifey saw engine warning light on this past Wed. after gassing up car. Our salesman told her to tighten the gas cap, but warning light still on. Brought it in yesterday and was told faulty fuel pump - factory defect. Fixed in an hour.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:35 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
My light keeps coming on and off. Today it did not come on, but yesterday it was on (with reduced engine power). I have not taken it in yet because of the two hr drive. It's probably a faulty fuel pump like yours.

Ironically, I am now getting better gas mileage: 29mpg on my most recent fill-up. I've never gotten 29 before. 28 a few times, but my overall average is 26.7.

Originally Posted by padre40
After 1 week w/ the car, wifey saw engine warning light on this past Wed. after gassing up car. Our salesman told her to tighten the gas cap, but warning light still on. Brought it in yesterday and was told faulty fuel pump - factory defect. Fixed in an hour.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:56 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sirbikes
My light keeps coming on and off. Today it did not come on, but yesterday it was on (with reduced engine power). I have not taken it in yet because of the two hr drive. It's probably a faulty fuel pump like yours.

Ironically, I am now getting better gas mileage: 29mpg on my most recent fill-up. I've never gotten 29 before. 28 a few times, but my overall average is 26.7.
Make the plans and take it in. What you're experiencing won't fix itself.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:45 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Update ... I took it in, turned out to be a faulty high pressure fuel pump ... replaced.

BTW, they said they don't use the P codes, they use other ones specific to Mini.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 AM
CanuckRunner
Neutral
I just experienced the same thing recently. I just bought a used 2011 Mini Cooper S, I've had it for about 4 weeks now, and love it!

Last week, I ran it super-low on fuel - I was on the last little red light, then the yellow check engine light came on, along with the loss of turbo. Went to the station to fill up, light went away.

Since then, the light has been going on/off randomly, but typically after about 1 hour or driving. I'm 3 hours from the nearest Mini dealership, so I took it to my local mechanic to check the code: P0087: Fuel rail / System Pressure - Too Low. He reset the light today, and all is good (for now).

Should I still schedule an appointment with Mini, or just wait to see if it happens again? Kinda bummed that I'm already having issues with the car, after just a few weeks of owning it. Could it simply be related to the fact that I was so low on fuel that day, which would've triggered a pressure issue?

If it *does* need fixing, is that covered under warranty?

Thank you!!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:18 AM
FirefighterJw
1st Gear
Mine came on 3 days ago. The low pressure fuel rail. Had a 90 day warranty on it and was goin to call today. 2 hr drive to my dealer. Found out I exceeded the mileage for the 90 day. But after reading this I will call. You guys are awesome ! I'll keep you all updated on my status.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:21 AM
FirefighterJw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CanuckRunner
I just experienced the same thing recently. I just bought a used 2011 Mini Cooper S, I've had it for about 4 weeks now, and love it!

Last week, I ran it super-low on fuel - I was on the last little red light, then the yellow check engine light came on, along with the loss of turbo. Went to the station to fill up, light went away.

Since then, the light has been going on/off randomly, but typically after about 1 hour or driving. I'm 3 hours from the nearest Mini dealership, so I took it to my local mechanic to check the code: P0087: Fuel rail / System Pressure - Too Low. He reset the light today, and all is good (for now).

Should I still schedule an appointment with Mini, or just wait to see if it happens again? Kinda bummed that I'm already having issues with the car, after just a few weeks of owning it. Could it simply be related to the fact that I was so low on fuel that day, which would've triggered a pressure issue?

If it *does* need fixing, is that covered under warranty?

Thank you!!

I was at a full tank of gas on mine , when my light came on. Doesn't hurt to have them check it. Just my thought

Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 AM
CanuckRunner
Neutral
I forgot to post my own update to this: I did end up taking mine into the dealership since the light did come on/off a few more times (along with the loss in Turbo). Turns out it was also a defective high pressure fuel pump, which they replaced, and it was covered under my warranty. So it cost me nothing.

That was done back in June, and I haven't had a single problem since! :-)

Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 PM
FirefighterJw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
not sure by the code, but there are these 2 TSB's related to the fuel system

Service Bulletin Number : SIM-16-01-09 Date of Bulletin : FEB 01, 2012
NHTSA Item Number : 10043722
Component : FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
Summary :
MINI: INFORMATION PROVIDED REGARDING PROCEDURE OF REPLACING FUEL LEVEL SENSOR DUE TO FAILURE ON THE RIGHT AND/OR LEFT SIDE. *PE

Service Bulletin Number : SIM-12-03-11 Date of Bulletin : JAN 01, 2012
NHTSA Item Number : 10043873
Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLER PIPE AND CAP
Summary :
MINI: SERVICE ENGINE SOON IS ILLUMINATED DUE TO TANK VENTILATION VALVE (TEV) BEING JAMMED OPEN AND FUEL CAP, WITH EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM LEAKAGE, WAS INCORRECTLY INSTALLED. *PE

Where did you find these ?

The following users liked this post:
HiHOSilverGS (11-27-2019)
Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 AM
FirefighterJw
1st Gear
So, took my car in. For a few issues. It ended up obv being the high fuel pump. My car has 70k on it. Dealer said no recall on them and i don't have a warranty . BUT the one opener before me replaced it a year and half ago. 2year warranty on replaced items. So that covers my pump. The fixed some seals in the transmission when I bought it. Well it was still leaking. Again covered under 2 year replaced parts. I'm a happy person ! I got lucky. Hope everyone else does too.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:13 PM
MiniCrisis
1st Gear
p0087

I had my PCV changed out at the dealer because I had a little fender bender and it was pulling vacuum on the entire block because I couldn't pull the fill cap off while running. its been about 3 months I started getting a little engine light on the tach. Took to advance and they told me that it was a Low fuel rail pressure but it was intermitting. I was thinking fuel pump, filter sensor big bucks, so while I was searching for the gage connection to get and actual pressure I stumbled across a loose ground wire that is located at the rear of the valve cover #8 nut . I tighten it and so far no light no power lost

Old 08-31-2015, 12:18 PM
gmcnaugh
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniCrisis
I had my PCV changed out at the dealer because I had a little fender bender and it was pulling vacuum on the entire block because I couldn't pull the fill cap off while running. its been about 3 months I started getting a little engine light on the tach. Took to advance and they told me that it was a Low fuel rail pressure but it was intermitting. I was thinking fuel pump, filter sensor big bucks, so while I was searching for the gage connection to get and actual pressure I stumbled across a loose ground wire that is located at the rear of the valve cover #8 nut . I tighten it and so far no light no power lost
Hi, hopefully you are still watching this post. Could you give a bit more detail on the ground wire you found loose please. I am having loss of power above 4K RPM and think from reading another post it might be the HPFP but am keen to check this wire before I go down that route.

Thanks.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Suji
3rd Gear
I just got this code on my car today I stopped at Autozone when the engine light came on I have a 2012 Coupe does anybody know if this is the high pressure fuel pump issue that MINI extended the warranty for 10 years or 120K miles?

Also I am planing to take a road trip should I get this fix now or can I wait until I come back from my trip?

Old 01-16-2020, 09:10 PM
C Vergara
Neutral
Have you figured out what the problem was?

Old 01-17-2020, 06:26 PM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
You replied to a very old thread (and I guess I did to!) :-)

I'm going to guess that this is the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) issue that resulted in a recall for a certain run of 2010-2011 R60 Countryman. Are you seeing that same code? Only definitive way of determining what it's for is to get the dealer or a knowledgeable independent who understands MINI/BMW codes to run a diagnosis. Recommend that you also read up on and search this forum's threads for "HPFP recall". There are a lot of posts on the subject.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:22 AM
Ernesc
Neutral
Cool P0087 Resolution

I purchased a used 2011 Countryman with 100K miles from a car dealer. I live in Florida, US. The yellow check engine light started coming up on and off intermittently and it would lose power. Took it to mechanic who detected the P0087 code. It got fixed after I used a product sold at AutoZone called "Sea Foam" Motor Treatment. I added to fuel tank and after a couple of fill ups the problem went away (Read instructions well). I guess it cleared up the obstruction/dirt in the fuel filter. You might want to try this before taking car to mechanic/dealer. Cheers